Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommendations: fixed blade or folder for EDC?

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I'm curious what you mean when you say the Lionsteel M1 is too small though as it's actually slightly longer than the Lackey. Do you mean in diameter/width?
    It wasn't so much the size of the knife, but rather the handle did not feel secure. It felt like my hand could slide forward towards the cutting edge unless really clinching down on the grip. I don't know why, maybe it was a weird combination of grip thickness, roundness, and height that didn't work for my hands?

I've been looking for a fixed blade I can carry IWB because I carry too much stuff in my pocket already (wallet, phone, flashlight, pepper spray and keys)

My preferred folding knife at the moment is the Spyderco Para 3 Lightweight or the Benchmade Bugout/Bailout so when I was looking at fixed blade knives in trying to avoid anything that's too heavy.

The ESEE Candiru was too small; I find the Izula II too large and heavy for my tastes. I considered the regular Izula but without scales I don't think it's comfortable and with scales it's almost 4oz which doesn't sound that heavy but it's heavier than I need for an EDC knife.

Right now I have a Lionsteel M1 G-10 handle model on the way as it seems to be about the perfect size, it weighs 2.6oz and it uses M390 which is a great steel.
    https://www.lionsteel.it/n/en/product/1808/m1_g10

The downside is it's $140-160 depending on whether you shop.

The other knife I've been looking at is the Ferrum Forge Lackey which is about half an inch shorter and 0.3oz lighter. It uses D2 steel which isn't as good but it's still a great steel and that makes it cheaper at $60 which is right in that sweet spot of being something I don't mind abusing. The burn is they've been sold out everywhere for months so I can't even get my hands on one which is why I've ordered the Lionsteel.
    http://www.ferrumforge.com/store/p23...e_-_Black.html
    I wonder if they include the weight of the sheath in that.

I would say D2 is a great steel properly heat treated.

I wouldn't be able to tell a 0.3oz difference something in my hand, let alone in my belt.

Spyderco Street Beat or Enuff
    Benchmade Altitude or Follow-Up or Hidden Canyon
    Boker BugOut or Piranha

With a fixed blade, the sheath is a very important consideration.

Site Supporter
    I have both fixed blades and folders, and find that the vast majority of time, I prefer a folder.

There are about 8-10 states that I have some likelihood of visiting in a given year. Fixed blades are of questionable legality or illegal in most of them, as well as in every single one of them in which I cannot legally carry a gun. Folders of appropriate length are legal in every single one.

When I am carrying a gun, finding a place for a primary gun, spare ammo, light, phone, and possibly a backup gun tends to take priority over finding a place for a fixed blade, but a folder clipped to the top of a pocket is no problem.

Regarding locks, I have not had good experience with liner locks. I prefer rocker bar locks, and have been particularly impressed with Cold Steel's Tri-Ad lock. I also like Spyderco's ball bearing lock.

I am also a big fan of pocket opening devices such as the Wave and its derivatives. Spyderco waves are big and rounded enough to be the most reliable and gentlest on clothing, followed by Cold Steel's thumb plate, and with the original designs being least preferred.

For specific folders, I have tried many from multiple manufacturers, and have become a fan of two companies: Cold Steel and Spyderco. My favorite carry folders are Cold Steel Storm Cloud (currently discontinued and available from dealers at good prices), Cold Steel Recon 1, Spyderco Waved Delica, Spyderco Waved Endura, Spyderco Dodo (for places with a < 2.5" blade length limit), and Spyderco Pacific Salt (for swimming or exercise). As I type this, I have two Storm Clouds clipped in my pockets. I would also give serious consideration to a Cold Steel American Lawman or AD10, but do not yet own either. I also do not yet own a Spyderco P'Kal, but this knife has many fans among those who train in reverse grip edge in methods.

For fixed blades, my current favorites are SouthNarc's Clinch Pick (Chinese version), Mickey Yurco's Palm Knife/Push Dagger (with an egg-shaped handle like the former Cold Steel Desperado but with a more practical blade), and Bud Nealy's Pesh Kabz.

Finding good fixed blade knives is easy, but finding good carry systems is more challenging. Multiple sheath/holster makers, including Dark Star, make aftermarket sheaths for Clinch Picks. Mickey Yurco is capable of being creative with Kydex after discussing customer needs. The multi-carry sheath was the specific reason I bought the Pesh-kabz. The Raven Concealment Pocket Shield, which was invented by Chris Fry, is a very useful tool for carrying a fixed blade in a pocket.

While I have sometimes carried a neck knife, I have not carried one in a few years. It is often easy to conceal them, but speed of access is questionable. I use a breakable ball chain with about a 6"-7" length of hollowed paracord placed over the chain, with the sheath centered on the covered portion of the chain, to reduce noise.

When reviewing the statutes of a given jurisdiction, check for:

1) Specific types of knives prohiited.

2) Blade length requirements.

3) Prohibitions against carrying things that serve no purpose other than to cause injury, and other catchall clauses. Most knife prosecutions in Pennsylvania are under such a provision in the statutes.

4) Local ordinances as well as state law.

5) Whether concealment is part of the offense that must be proven.

6) Caselaw interpreting the prohibitions under circumstances in which the knife was found during a traffic stop or other circumstances where the knife was not used as a weapon and the defendant was not otherwise doing something really bad. This can really shed some light on how the statutes will be interpreted, and many knives that might appear legal from a review of the statutes will be shown to be illegal in the caselaw. NY, OH, and VA are particularly good examples of this problem. At the same time, the caselaw may provide some nice safe harbors that are not apparent from the statutes, with MD being a good example.

I carry a Spyderco Yojimbo in my right front utility pocket and a Tops Ranger Shorty OWB on my left hip. The Tops is double edged and is primarily for work, e.g. probing rotted wood, but is plenty pointy and sharp enough for self defense if I needed to buy some time to get my gun on the strong side. The Yojimbo is a much more effective defensive blade but not as fast into action. I have a couple Spyderco Snody/Janich Ronins but the blade is too thin for rough utility use and those can't be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I wonder if they include the weight of the sheath in that.

I would say D2 is a great steel properly heat treated.

I wouldn't be able to tell a 0.3oz difference something in my hand, let alone in my belt.

Spyderco Street Beat or Enuff
    Benchmade Altitude or Follow-Up or Hidden Canyon
    Boker BugOut or Piranha

With a fixed blade, the sheath is a very important consideration.
    D2 is fine; it does the job it holds an edge. There's just also better steels out now with modern metallurgy. That said for $60 I'll grab one and as long as the shape and size are right I'll be more than happy to use it forever.

Cute blade
    Name:  IMG_20200508_210421.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  27.0 KB

I agree that having one (five) of each is ideal.

I carry a fixed blade (Clinch Pick) every day.

AND

I carry a folder every day - the folder changes frequently today it is a Spyderco Native.

__

For general tasks I use the folder. Those tasks are everything from cutting my sandwich at lunch to slicing cardboard, etc. I view the folder as a tertiary to quarternary defensive tool. I often carry and use inconspicuous looking knives, such as Swiss Army Knives, Opinels, small lock back folders - typically more "Gentlemanly" knives. I do this, because a nice knife, like a nice pen, or a nice briefcase, is a sign of status. People of status don't stab other people, right? Right. So, you look less threatening to those who may view askance a knife otherwise.
    __

My fixed blade stays concealed. It's not a tool for general use, it's a tool for a very specific set of uses, though I do not carry it with intent to harm, I carry it as a tool to save myself should I need to.

___

That said, any sharpened hunk of steel can be used as a defensive tool with proper application. I would look for a knife that fulfills your utility and concealment needs first then think about potential martial uses second. Many of the smaller fixed blades like the AG Russell Woodswalker, the Bark River Knives - City Knife, Canadian Special, or EDC - or the ESEE Izula would make fine utility knives.

Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    It wasn't so much the size of the knife, but rather the handle did not feel secure. It felt like my hand could slide forward towards the cutting edge unless really clinching down on the grip. I don't know why, maybe it was a weird combination of grip thickness, roundness, and height that didn't work for my hands?
    I just got mine in the mail and I see what you mean so I think I'll be returning it. It seems to fit my hand well but it somehow feels both too big and also too small all at once. There's no jimping on the spine of the knife which is a bummer and the G-10 doesn't feel grippy. Also the edge from the factory is... not good which I guess is a small thing because I can sharpen it myself but man for $150 you think they could put some effort into it.

I might try a Tops Mini Scandi 2.5 just because why not at this point.

I just got mine in the mail and I see what you mean so I think I'll be returning it. It seems to fit my hand well but it somehow feels both too big and also too small all at once. There's no jimping on the spine of the knife which is a bummer and the G-10 doesn't feel grippy. Also the edge from the factory is... not good which I guess is a small thing because I can sharpen it myself but man for $150 you think they could put some effort into it.
    I might try a Tops Mini Scandi 2.5 just because why not at this point.
    The grip phenomenon on the M1 is very interesting. I'm glad to see that I am not the outlier.
    I recommend you bite the bullet now and just get a Bawidamann Muninn. Painfully expensive, but it truly is that good! Definitely no grip problems with those handles!

User Tag List