Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations: fixed blade or folder for EDC?

The small EDC-type fixed blade, that I have always liked, since its introduction, is the original Spyderco Ronin. Knowing that design collaborations are limited-run, I bought several. I believe Spyderco produced a second generation Ronin, but did not try to buy any of them.

Another Spyderco fixed-blade that I like is the Temperance. The Temperance II looks like it has a better handle, but I have not been able to verify this, by actually seeing or handling one.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

A pocket fixed blade or neck knife is a great EDC tool. I wear a custom neck knife daily. Small, strong and sharp. There are many options in this arena though I have no clue on availability in Germany, or cost.

CRKT, ESEE, Emerson, and many other companies market such. Of course a small fixed blade IWB also works as well.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Around here in the Portland area, some of the hipster guys are carrying fairly large fixed blade knives. These have to be hipster knives though, with wood handles and leather woodsman-style sheaths. To carry one of these without scaring people, you need a big hipster beard or waxed mustache and skinny jeans.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-02-2020 at 11:26 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    A pocket fixed blade or neck knife is a great EDC tool. I wear a custom neck knife daily. Small, strong and sharp. There are many options in this arena though I have no clue on availability in Germany, or cost.

CRKT, ESEE, Emerson, and many other companies market such. Of course a small fixed blade IWB also works as well.
    I was just going to recommend an ESEE Candiru or Izula. Great minds and all that...
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

All great ideas! In deciding between a small pocket fixed blade or a slipjoint for utility, I'll try the small pocket fixed blade first. I ordered a Hinderer LP-1 Wharncliffe to try out:
    https://www.knifeart.com/rhk-lp1-wharn.html
    Reminds me of my beloved Yojimbo 2.

I've been looking for a fixed blade I can carry IWB because I carry too much stuff in my pocket already (wallet, phone, flashlight, pepper spray and keys)

My preferred folding knife at the moment is the Spyderco Para 3 Lightweight or the Benchmade Bugout/Bailout so when I was looking at fixed blade knives in trying to avoid anything that's too heavy.

The ESEE Candiru was too small; I find the Izula II too large and heavy for my tastes. I considered the regular Izula but without scales I don't think it's comfortable and with scales it's almost 4oz which doesn't sound that heavy but it's heavier than I need for an EDC knife.

Right now I have a Lionsteel M1 G-10 handle model on the way as it seems to be about the perfect size, it weighs 2.6oz and it uses M390 which is a great steel.
    https://www.lionsteel.it/n/en/product/1808/m1_g10

The downside is it's $140-160 depending on whether you shop.

The other knife I've been looking at is the Ferrum Forge Lackey which is about half an inch shorter and 0.3oz lighter. It uses D2 steel which isn't as good but it's still a great steel and that makes it cheaper at $60 which is right in that sweet spot of being something I don't mind abusing. The burn is they've been sold out everywhere for months so I can't even get my hands on one which is why I've ordered the Lionsteel.
    http://www.ferrumforge.com/store/p23...e_-_Black.html

I’m really, really happy with an AmTac Northman and a SAK.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    ... Lionsteel M1 G-10 handle model ... Ferrum Forge Lackey
    Yes, the Ferrum Forge Lackey looks like an excellent knife. Shape and size seem perfect. I've had my eye on one for a while, but as you said, D2 steel is a bit of a letdown, even if the price is good. According to the Ferrum Forge website, they are releasing more in May.
    I had one of the Lionsteel M1 models a while back. I found it too small, I couldn't get a good grip on the handle and the G-10 was not grippy in any way, so I sold it.

I've carried a CRKT Obake centerline for a while now. I usually stick it inside my left center belt loop, and wrap the lanyard around and secure it with a drawstring clip.

Lately, I've moved on to a SPEW in pretty much the same spot, mounted with the belt clip and a bit of elastic cord.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    Yes, the Ferrum Forge Lackey looks like an excellent knife. Shape and size seem perfect. I've had my eye on one for a while, but as you said, D2 steel is a bit of a letdown, even if the price is good. According to the Ferrum Forge website, they are releasing more in May.
    I had one of the Lionsteel M1 models a while back. I found it too small, I couldn't get a good grip on the handle and the G-10 was not grippy in any way, so I sold it.
    Yeah Ferrum Forge is saying mid may for the Lackey. I got in their email list just so I don't miss it. The sheath that comes with it sucks so I'm intending to send it off to Armatus Carry to have them make a sheath for it. And yeah D2 isn't stellar but it's been around a long time and it does the job. It's way better than any of the cheap steels and it certainly does the job.

I'm curious what you mean when you say the Lionsteel M1 is too small though as it's actually slightly longer than the Lackey. Do you mean in diameter/width?

User Tag List