Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations: fixed blade or folder for EDC?

Recommendations: fixed blade or folder for EDC?

I'm looking for all kinds of input from the knowledgeable knife folks here regarding their EDC knife preferences: small fixed blade or folder.
    I'm currently undecided what my preferred carry knife should be. I have way more experience carrying various types of folders. But both from a utility and defensive aspect, a fixed blade makes more sense: locking mechanism can't ever fail on a fixed blade and it is faster to draw. I'm still struggling with the concept of frequent drawing/resheathing when using the fixed blade as a utility blade. Comfort is also an issue, a folder in my pocket gets in the way less than a small fixed blade carried IWB, at least in my IWB carry experience so far.
    Specific example: carrying a Spyderco Manix 2 or a Bawidamann Muninn?
    I'd be happy to hear all your experiences/inputs or any suitable advice.

Been carrying a small Spyderco Dragonfly 2 since it was suggested by a few folks here. I’m extremely happy with it.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/det...FRN-Orange/818

Name:  AC8942B4-C57D-4309-9C62-F42CE2C969C5.png
Views: 660
Size:  90.5 KB

I alternate between a Special Circumstances Maleficus when I'm not CCWing and a Ban Tang Clinch Pick when I am for a self-defense SFB, carried in the typical prescribed fashion, at ~1100 canted tip up, handle down toward the midline. However, it is my CRK Large Sebenza 21 that I use the most, as it is carried specifically for utility use (right pocket with the clip), and to be used for self-defense only in extreme circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    I'm looking for all kinds of input from the knowledgeable knife folks here regarding their EDC knife preferences: small fixed blade or folder.
    I'm currently undecided what my preferred carry knife should be. I have way more experience carrying various types of folders. But both from a utility and defensive aspect, a fixed blade makes more sense: locking mechanism can't ever fail on a fixed blade and it is faster to draw. I'm still struggling with the concept of frequent drawing/resheathing when using the fixed blade as a utility blade. Comfort is also an issue, a folder in my pocket gets in the way less than a small fixed blade carried IWB, at least in my IWB carry experience so far.
    Specific example: carrying a Spyderco Manix 2 or a Bawidamann Muninn?
    I'd be happy to hear all your experiences/inputs or any suitable advice.
    First: check your local laws.

Second: check your local laws.

Third: get both. I typically carry a Spyderco Dragonfly 2 folder for EDC tasks (it cuts much bigger than it's size and it's small enough not to evoke shock/fear), and I carry a Shivworks Clinch Pick for defensive uses.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

I have had the same struggle you describe trying to carry a fixed blade IWB. For the past few months, I’ve been carrying a Northman blade from AmTac blades. Bill Rapier designed it to replace the pocket knife he carried strong side. The sheath seats it deeply in the pocket so that to casual inspection, it looks like a clipped folding knife. The sheath also has a built in ferro rod for fire starting ability and a Velcro pocket on the back for holding tinder, money, etc. I really like it so far.

But as a previous poster said, check your local laws!

Thanks all for your input!
    I specifically did not mention local laws because I didn't want to skew the debate from the very beginning. Of course you are all correct, local laws will have a large impact on my final decision.
    In Germany, knife laws are actually very peculiar: any one-handed opening locking folder is illegal to carry, while fixed blades with blade lengths below approx. 5" are legal to carry. So all the standard modern folding knives with thumb studs or Spydercos (due to the opening hole) or are out of the question. One-handed opening non-locking is allowed, two-handed opening locking as well.
    So I guess my best bet will be a small fixed blade for more special uses in combination with a slipjoint folder for utility tasks. Any other/better ideas?

What tasks do you need a knife for?
    If you're using a knife constantly, like receiving in a warehouse then a small fixed blade is the way to go.
    If you slice an apple for lunch and maybe open the mail in the evening then a folder would be better.
    Mission drives the equipment.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    But both from a utility and defensive aspect, a fixed blade makes more sense: locking mechanism can't ever fail on a fixed blade and it is faster to draw. I'm still struggling with the concept of frequent drawing/resheathing when using the fixed blade as a utility blade. Comfort is also an issue, a folder in my pocket gets in the way less than a small fixed blade carried IWB, at least in my IWB carry experience so far.
    I definitely agree with you on the first point - a knife that isn't pre-broken is more difficult to break than one that folds in half by design. There is also less to go wrong with deployment of a fixed blade - a folder may not, for whatever reason, always unfold quite all the way. Especially if one-hand opening locking folders are out due to legal weirdness, that would really restrict the usefulness of a folding knife.

As for frequent re-sheathing, speed of access, and comfort, those would depend on the knife, the sheath and the method of carry. Speaking strictly from a utilitarian point of view, a small fixed blade knife carried in a pocket with the sheath dummy corded to either your pocket or belt might make fixed blade carry nearly as comfortable as folder carry. It would also make it easy to re-sheath - although it would be strictly a two-handed affair. In-fight access to the knife would be very iffy though. Regarding IWB, a dummy cord method where you draw both the sheath and knife from your waist band until the dummy cord snags the sheath away might also make re-sheathing easier - if you can make the knife and sheath stay put during carry. With this method also, re-sheathing will require the use of both hands.

I think you nailed it....SAK or Spyderco urban (slip joint, non locking, one handed, steel options) for "tasks"......and a small fixed with a great handle (handle is more important than blade) for "events".

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    I think you nailed it....SAK or Spyderco urban (slip joint, non locking, one handed, steel options) for "tasks"......and a small fixed with a great handle (handle is more important than blade) for "events".
    The "Urban" was what I was going to recommend. Great knife, especially in K390 steel if available.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List