Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A gripe

Quote Originally Posted by dravz View Post
    Yeah compared to the M&P's stellar launch and all the problems with the Glock gen4's (including TLG's), somehow it's the XD that has the poor track record?
    Most of the problems with the M&P and Gen4 have generally been bad or poorly manufactured/specced parts. That's fixable.

Most of the problems with the XD are inherent to the design. e.g., the slide cannot cycle unless the backstrap safety is fully disengaged by design.

Unfortunately, because the 1911 also has a grip safety, people tend to think the one on the XD is the same and give that a pass even though it's performing a completely different mechanical function.

Quote Originally Posted by commandar View Post
    Most of the problems with the XD are inherent to the design. e.g., the slide cannot cycle unless the backstrap safety is fully disengaged by design.
    Because some people prefer more than just a trigger (non-)safety?

Most of the problems with the M&P and Gen4 have generally been bad or poorly manufactured/specced parts. That's fixable.
    And let's be honest, that's a cop-out. To the end user a gun either works or it doesn't.

Because some people prefer more than just a trigger (non-)safety?
    You missed the point.

The design and mechanical function of the XD safety induces problems. The grip safety physically blocks sear movement, and the slide cannot cycle as a result. This can potentially induce failures and makes the gun difficult to operate one-handed.

I am all for additional safety systems so long as they're well designed. I can't classify the XD grip safety as a good design.

And let's be honest, that's a cop-out. To the end user a gun either works or it doesn't.
    My distinction is that one of these things is fixable while the other isn't without a redesign of the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Have any law enforcement agencies adopted or authorized the XD? This is usually a good indicator of what the pistol in question is made of. I don't know of any, although I haven't done much research.
    FDA inspectors have. Numerous small depts have.
    #RESIST

The design and mechanical function of the XD safety induces problems. The grip safety physically blocks sear movement, and the slide cannot cycle as a result. This can potentially induce failures and makes the gun difficult to operate one-handed.
    By the same logic, the trigger safety on Glocks induces negligent discharges.

You missed the point too -- the internet gives Glocks and M&P's a pass for all issues, while the XD is assumed broken beyond all recompense. You are proving my point.

Yeah compared to the M&P's stellar launch and all the problems with the Glock gen4's (including TLG's), somehow it's the XD that has the poor track record? Sure thing, internet.

Whenever someone asks me what gun they should get, I recommend any of the modern polymer 9mm pistols: G19, XD9, or the M&P9, because they all work great. Pick the one that fits your hand the best.

The only place the XD is hated is online. But guess what, not everyone likes the Glock grip angle or the M&P trigger. Crazy, I know.

Negative on your last. I'm very certain one of our SMEs will be along to apprise you of the fact that the XD has been submitted for large agency/dept trials and failed. Also, you are factually incorrect. The Gen4 Glock 9mms are having problems, the Gen4 40 just won a major contract with the BATFE.

Are you not aware of Vickers and Hackathorn's observations on the XD? They do not recommend it due to reliability and design problems. That's not internet hate, that's arguably the top two smalls arms trainers in the world.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    FDA inspectors have. Numerous small depts have.
    Interesting. Thank you.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

By the same logic, the trigger safety on Glocks induces negligent discharges.
    No, because the Glock trigger face safety has zero impact on the internal function of the gun's action. It's nothing more than a plastic lever blocking trigger travel. It's largely analogous to the 1911's grip safety.

The XD's grip safety locks the gun's entire action from cycling when engaged. There is a world of difference between the two.

You missed the point too -- the internet gives Glocks and M&P's a pass for all issues, while the XD is assumed broken beyond all recompense. You are proving my point.
    I didn't give Glock or S&W a pass. I said that the severity of the problems is different. A broken gun is a broken gun; the difference is that I see the XD as broken by design.

User Tag List