Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A gripe

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    How much do Taurus semi-autos go for on a market?
    Reason I am asking is that one day I suggested to somebody who carried one of those to ditch it and get a Glock. A response I got that there was a considerable price difference and he couldn't afford that. Knowing that said person was good, hard-working kid, I felt like an ass.
    Fwiw, I've seen them go for $2-250. Again, knowing that police trade in Glocks go for $350-400 makes those situations sad to see.

Quote Originally Posted by commandar View Post
    Fwiw, I've seen them go for $2-250. Again, knowing that police trade in Glocks go for $350-400 makes those situations sad to see.
    I've not seen used 9mm Glocks for less than 400 around here. Maybe that kid had a point if he had gotten his Taurus for half of that. When I started my journey in this country, I lived on a budget considerably well below a poverty level. I can easily relate to people having to settle for what they can afford, and not what they want to have.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    When I started my journey in this country, I lived on a budget considerably well below a poverty level.
    In Russia, poverty levels you!

Sorry. Really. I cannot stop myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    In Russia, poverty levels you!

Sorry. Really. I cannot stop myself.

That's actually funny, dude.

I ate microwave food 6 days a week during my first year and a half in US; Big Mac and fries were "eating out". Took a lot of focus and, frankly, fear for the future not to send it all to hell and return to the land of 4% milk, meat dumplings and borscht.

Sorry for hijack to all; the main point of my post remains: for some folks out there, even 200 bucks difference between POS and used Glock could be money they don't have.

YVK point taken. And lots of us had been there where you need to wangle whatever you need.

But probably more often I see the guy getting out of a brand new BMW wearing shoes that cost almost what my GLOCK did saying he's only willing to spend Taurus money.

Or ( and this mentatlity is not uncommon on our local forum) the guy with a collection of very expensive European hunting rifles with glass that costs almost as much saying they are GTG with a Brazilian snub.

The funny thing is, I did a rough calculation on how much I've spent through the years buying guns that were not up to snuff and then sold or traded at a serious loss, and discovered I could have bought a H&K P7*.

*Which I would, in all likelihood, trade or sell a year later for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    XD's generally have a poorer track record in terms of long term durability thea other designs.
    Yeah compared to the M&P's stellar launch and all the problems with the Glock gen4's (including TLG's), somehow it's the XD that has the poor track record? Sure thing, internet.

Whenever someone asks me what gun they should get, I recommend any of the modern polymer 9mm pistols: G19, XD9, or the M&P9, because they all work great. Pick the one that fits your hand the best.

The only place the XD is hated is online. But guess what, not everyone likes the Glock grip angle or the M&P trigger. Crazy, I know.

I've yet to meet a reputable firearms trainer that had anything nice to say regarding the XD series, and some of the ones I've encountered in classes have had sub optimal reliability.

It's a free country, and the end user is certainly entitled to spend his/her hard earned money on whatever platform they wish. I have been very well served by Gen 3 Glock 17's and M&P 9's during the course of my shooting career.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    I've yet to meet a reputable firearms trainer that had anything nice to say regarding the XD series.
    Have any law enforcement agencies adopted or authorized the XD? This is usually a good indicator of what the pistol in question is made of. I don't know of any, although I haven't done much research.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

It is my understanding that some police forces in the Former Yugoslavia have adopted the XD in one iteration or another, but I do not know of any North American agency that had adopted them en masse for issue. No doubt some US agencies have authorized the XD for individual officer purchase, though.

Of course, I could be wildly off the mark here.

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Have any law enforcement agencies adopted or authorized the XD? This is usually a good indicator of what the pistol in question is made of. I don't know of any, although I haven't done much research.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 03-26-2011 at 12:05 PM.

User Tag List