Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Assault weapons ban in Canada

This Power & Politics report by Vassy Kapelos is as fair and balanced as I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0tofuHiK64

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    After a bit of thought, here's what I will do.

These are links to the CCFR and CSSA:

https://firearmrights.ca/en/home/

https://cssa-cila.org/

Once a legal action begins to roll, I will keep everyone here in the loop. Personally I would not hesitate to interfere; certainly our opponents have had no aversion to getting help from "progressive" groups in the US and much of the Canadian political battleground is littered with money from NY and CA.

I think probably the most efficient use of funds will be to put them directly into legal battles so for anyone who is interested, that's probably the route I would go and I will keep you all posted on how that looks to be developing. Conceivably there will be some entertainment value, at least, in screwing with Canadian progressives and the fact is that even a tiny fraction of US discretionary pro-gun donations would completely alter the balance of power here; there is just not the same kind of politics here and the money changing hands here is peanuts compared to what you are used to.

I may attempt to position the Canadian gun cause as a humourous mascot on some US forums for this reason. Just thinking about the numbers, I'd say if every American with an AR and a sense of humour threw in a buck, that would probably generate more funds than if every Canadian with an AR, with or without a sense of humour, put in a hundred. And that's before the exchange rate.

Of course that's hardly anything I would expect to happen but you never know; sometimes it's easier to motivate people to engage in weird jokes than in practical self-preservation.

Regardless, I'll keep everyone informed as things develop. I would say that for the moment, the strategy is "delay, deny, defeat in court" combined with "replace the government". Fortunately the current government is fairly weak, but unfortunately the opposition (which is moderately supportive of gun owners) is also fairly weak. The Trudeau Liberals are being propped up by three other parties which are pretty anti-gun, and they may or may not take issue with the way this was done, even though it's a pretty appalling abuse of process.

The only real solution is to bring down the government but that won't happen until the opposition is quite a bit stronger. Hopefully under two years.

At any rate I have no intention of relinquishing anything, not one grain of powder. Not even one New Brunswick locksmith, who was also made a prohibited firearm in this absurdly sloppy legislation. Thankfully he has not be used to shoot anyone yet but I don't think that's directly the result of this regulatory change: to my knowledge, nobody in the country had shot anyone with him before he was a prohibited weapon either. But now, not only can he not be used, even at a range, he also cannot be transported, bought, sold, or exported. I'm not sure if he feels a sense of job security, knowing that it is now illegal to fire him, but even so I don't think it's worth the price the rest of us are paying.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    At any rate I have no intention of relinquishing anything, not one grain of powder.
    You are not alone. As a point of reference, the compliance rate to state bans in NY and CT has been estimated at about five percent. In rural parts of NY, local LE does not even enforce the SAFE Act.

Good luck in your fight!

I'd say if every American with an AR and a sense of humour threw in a buck, that would probably generate more funds than if every Canadian with an AR, with or without a sense of humour, put in a hundred. And that's before the exchange rate.
    There are also some of us suspicious AR-toting foreigners who might want to chip in.

Not even one New Brunswick locksmith, who was also made a prohibited firearm in this absurdly sloppy legislation.
    That sounds hilarious and I would like to ask for more details, if possible.

Meanwhile, in the category of Canuk Overreactions, a story about the Kanadian Kops coming down hard on a gal dressed as a Stormtrooper for a May the 4th promotion.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    There are also some of us suspicious AR-toting foreigners who might want to chip in.

That sounds hilarious and I would like to ask for more details, if possible.
    I'm afraid I don't have a ton of details there - what I hear is that he had built a line of muzzle brakes at one time, but how he ended up on the list I'm not sure. I fear that if I look into it too closely there will be some kind of rational explanation and it won't be funny anymore, so for the moment I'm just enjoying it.

In other news, what we have discovered is that the general prohibition on guns with a bore over 20mm will almost certainly prohibit every 12g with a screw-on choke - this is the opinion of Ed Burlew, who is one of Canada's leading experts on firearms law. The government disagrees and the Minister for Public Safety has been tweeting that this is not true, but it's clearly a screw-up because it's not up to the government how the law is actually applied in court, of course. This is totally down to the rules about measuring bore diameter, and there are no exceptions or exclusions in the law as written.

Personally I'm thrilled; might wake up the fudds at last if they think their duck guns are all on the chopping block.

I'm afraid I don't have a ton of details there - what I hear is that he had built a line of muzzle brakes at one time, but how he ended up on the list I'm not sure. I fear that if I look into it too closely there will be some kind of rational explanation and it won't be funny anymore, so for the moment I'm just enjoying it.

In other news, what we have discovered is that the general prohibition on guns with a bore over 20mm will almost certainly prohibit every 12g with a screw-on choke - this is the opinion of Ed Burlew, who is one of Canada's leading experts on firearms law. The government disagrees and the Minister for Public Safety has been tweeting that this is not true, but it's clearly a screw-up because it's not up to the government how the law is actually applied in court, of course. This is totally down to the rules about measuring bore diameter, and there are no exceptions or exclusions in the law as written.

Personally I'm thrilled; might wake up the fudds at last if they think their duck guns are all on the chopping block.
    Hopefully some will pay attention to what we did in Virginia on January 20th of this year. You don't need the openly carried guns to be effective, you just gotta get people involved.
    #RESIST

After a bit of thought, here's what I will do.

These are links to the CCFR and CSSA:

https://firearmrights.ca/en/home/

https://cssa-cila.org/

Once a legal action begins to roll, I will keep everyone here in the loop. Personally I would not hesitate to interfere; certainly our opponents have had no aversion to getting help from "progressive" groups in the US and much of the Canadian political battleground is littered with money from NY and CA.

I think probably the most efficient use of funds will be to put them directly into legal battles so for anyone who is interested, that's probably the route I would go and I will keep you all posted on how that looks to be developing. Conceivably there will be some entertainment value, at least, in screwing with Canadian progressives and the fact is that even a tiny fraction of US discretionary pro-gun donations would completely alter the balance of power here; there is just not the same kind of politics here and the money changing hands here is peanuts compared to what you are used to.

I may attempt to position the Canadian gun cause as a humourous mascot on some US forums for this reason. Just thinking about the numbers, I'd say if every American with an AR and a sense of humour threw in a buck, that would probably generate more funds than if every Canadian with an AR, with or without a sense of humour, put in a hundred. And that's before the exchange rate.

Of course that's hardly anything I would expect to happen but you never know; sometimes it's easier to motivate people to engage in weird jokes than in practical self-preservation.

Regardless, I'll keep everyone informed as things develop. I would say that for the moment, the strategy is "delay, deny, defeat in court" combined with "replace the government". Fortunately the current government is fairly weak, but unfortunately the opposition (which is moderately supportive of gun owners) is also fairly weak. The Trudeau Liberals are being propped up by three other parties which are pretty anti-gun, and they may or may not take issue with the way this was done, even though it's a pretty appalling abuse of process.

The only real solution is to bring down the government but that won't happen until the opposition is quite a bit stronger. Hopefully under two years.

At any rate I have no intention of relinquishing anything, not one grain of powder. Not even one New Brunswick locksmith, who was also made a prohibited firearm in this absurdly sloppy legislation. Thankfully he has not be used to shoot anyone yet but I don't think that's directly the result of this regulatory change: to my knowledge, nobody in the country had shot anyone with him before he was a prohibited weapon either. But now, not only can he not be used, even at a range, he also cannot be transported, bought, sold, or exported. I'm not sure if he feels a sense of job security, knowing that it is now illegal to fire him, but even so I don't think it's worth the price the rest of us are paying.
    PF money bomb of CCFR has begun

Gentlefolk, joining the CCFR was quick and easy via PayPal. It was $40 in icepesos and $29.68 in TrumpBux.
    #RESIST

Ah...the sweet sweet taste of foreign interference in our democracy!

Every dollar spent buys a lottery ticket in the "may get to hear Justin having to use his weird, breathy, saccharine delivery to admit defeat" sweepstakes!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Hopefully some will pay attention to what we did in Virginia on January 20th of this year. You don't need the openly carried guns to be effective, you just gotta get people involved.
    Definitely seems like a model to follow.

User Tag List