Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Assault weapons ban in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Yeah, not my favourite day.

I fully intend to dig in and pursue court challenges. My goal is to delay until this government falls, which, as a minority government, it very well may.

Most aggravating of all, this was done through an Order in Council, which allows for certain types of regulatory changes without legislative process. The legislature is currently disrupted by the coronavirus restrictions, so this is very much being carried out behind closed doors.

Attachment 53182

I don't have time to edit the flag, so just imagine a maple leaf.
    Here you go my friend.
    Attachment 53185

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Here you go my friend.
    Attachment 53185
    Thanks eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, I thought the cousins up north pretty much lost everything already. How is this different? Some "fun" guns were previously allowed?
    No, we had access to most popular semi auto sport rifles. The law, as it is written, is a package of ridiculousness wrapped in a bow of hoplophobia. Most prohibited long rifles here are prohibited by name and variant. The list makes no sense to folks on both sides of the gun control argument.

I knew this was coming after the election, but I’m ashamed of my Governments opportunistic timing of this. Never underestimate the glee with witch a politician will unabashedly grave dance to push a potentially unpopular agenda. The smug smiles on their faces during the press release was enough to turn my stomach.

Not a good day to be a Canadian.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Hm, "grace period" during which owners of newly prohibited guns must participate in a buyback program. Can't they just be honest and call it confiscation?

Not posted as criticism of good Canadians.

And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward."
    #RESIST

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Not posted as criticism of good Canadians.
    Solzhenitsyn was quoted to discussed almost daily in my house growing up. I often think about that quote. Now more than often.

There is not doubt that there is a hard push within the progressive elites of the Western world to remove "weapons" from the hands of their populations. What is most ironic to me is the fact that this denture maker didn't even use an assault style rifle* and NOBODY in the main stream media is even questioning the fact that it is being used as the reason for these recent laws.

* Yes - I realize that the exact type of weapon used has not been disclosed, but everyone with an IQ over that of a mushroom knows that *if* it had been an assault style firearm - it photo of it would have been on the cover of every newspaper in the English and French speaking world.

Site Supporter
    It was only a matter of time until the Mini-14s were included. They were used in Canada and Norway for rampages. They dodged our initial AWB by looking nice, I suppose and Ruger's 10 round limit shenanigans.

The researchers who determined our AWB was worthless as deterring or reducing crime, clearly indicated that the existence of weapons of equal efficacy were part of the reason. Legislators who knew nothing (thing that goes up) overlooked that gun. Not any longer.

If we have some horror show again here, easy to see more state bans and even a Federal one depending on White House and Congress. We know that Trump cannot be trusted on the issue, even if he is re-elected.

Scotus has Roberts also not to be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Regulations Amending the Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and Other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited, Restricted or Non-Restricted: SOR/2020-96 May 1, 2020
    http://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/...ors96-eng.html
    Christ, what a thing. They plainly state "mass shootings with assault weapons" as the issues/background, but go on to list recoilless rifles, missile launchers, and bolt action Barrett and MacMillan .50 rifles.

Glad that they’re finally taking care of Canada’s rampant .50BMG and mortar crime waves. Yay. [/sarc]

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, I thought the cousins up north pretty much lost everything already. How is this different? Some "fun" guns were previously allowed?
    Dude, I stopped at a shop on my recent drive through northern Alberta. I was drooling over a bunch of SBR's that we can't get in the states without a tax stamp. The prices were good too.

User Tag List