Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Assault weapons ban in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Yeah. I’m not saying I knew much about the Canadian legislative process before this, but apparently I had some assumptions that were completely wrong. I really feel for the folks up there.
    Unfortunately we have been through this before and the Order In Council (OIC) process is well established. It is not really the same but I think of it as similar to an Executive Order. In this case the OIC changed the classification of a number of firearms and other items (including AR-15 _upper_ receivers) to prohibited so they can no longer be transported or used, but it didn't actually change any legislation.

Various people and organizations are trying to figure out how to attack this, at least in part due to the wording which *seems* to prohibit certain shotguns with interchangeable chokes because the barrel diameter with the choke not installed is greater than 20mm. Hopefully that part will get corrected but in the meantime it may help to wake up the hunters and clay shooters.

We have nothing like the 2A here so our best hope is regime change, and the first step on that very long road is to identify the leader of the (prospective) new regime.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I know you guys don't have the same legal protections for weapons ownership we do down here in the USA, but I find it confusing that it's even possible for Trudeau to just decree that a wide range of guns are prohibited without even going through a legislative process. I thought he as an elected official, not a king.
    It all stems from this phrase: "...The Governor in Council may make regulations..." (See section 117 of the Firearms Act.)

"Governor in Council", as I understand it, means cabinet, the group of ministers which includes those members' who hold a portfolio (or, in other words, primary reponsibility for a particular department or agency) and the party leader (the 'Prime Minister').

An "Order In Council" (or 'OIC') might be compared to a Presidential executive order. In Canada, as I understand it, where an OIC is an option, all they need do is sign it, publish it in the federal government's newspaper, "The Canada Gazette", and then - BOOM! - it's law.

If this goes into effect, how many of the parts can be used in a manually operated rifle?

Are the Ruger precision rifles legal in Canada? At the least, rather than losing an entire gun, most or all the parts should be usable to convert or build a manually operated rifle as are used in England.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    It all stems from this phrase: "...The Governor in Council may make regulations..." (See section 117 of the Firearms Act.)
    Wow, at least on skimming that, the powers given to the PM by that act seem *very* broad. Could be a tough fight for you guys.

Neighbour reported N.S. mass shooter's domestic violence, weapons to police

A former neighbour of the gunman behind last month's mass shooting in Nova Scotia says she reported his domestic violence and cache of firearms to the RCMP years ago and ended up leaving the community herself due to fears of his violence. Brenda Forbes said that in the summer of 2013, she told police about reports that Gabriel Wortman had held down and beaten his common-law spouse behind one of the properties he owned in Portapique, a coastal community west of Truro. "He had her on the ground, was strangling her ... He was beating on her," she said of the account she heard, saying there were three male witnesses. "On that incident, I called the RCMP and I told them what happened, and I said he has a bunch of illegal weapons, and I know because he showed them to us," said Forbes, who has since moved outside the province. She said that in response to her complaint, the RCMP interviewed her while she was working at a cadet camp in Debert, N.S., and she retold the story. She said she encouraged one of the three witnesses to give his account to police, but he refused, saying he feared violence from Wortman.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ence-1.5567330

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    A former neighbour of the gunman behind last month's mass shooting in Nova Scotia says she reported his domestic violence and cache of firearms to the RCMP years ago ... She said she encouraged one of the three witnesses to give his account to police, but he refused, saying he feared violence from Wortman.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ence-1.5567330
    So this is more incompetence / negligence by RCMP and more alleged criminal behaviour by the shooter dating back years prior to the tragedy. RCMP did not act on this report to seize the firearms and/or prosecute the alleged assault from 2015, eventually he goes on shooting / arson spree in 2020, and the Trudeau regime takes advantage of the tragedy to issue the OIC which penalizes people that have done nothing wrong with regard to their use of firearms.

To me this is even worse than their tactical incompetence during the shooting spree which included failing to use the emergency notification system and shooting up a fire station for reasons that I still don't understand.

Most signed petition in Canada's history.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

N.S. gunman's weapons came from California, Maine, Winnipeg, court documents reveal

A Nova Scotia judge agreed Wednesday to make some of the previously redacted information available, including details about the calibres of the firearms used and the fact RCMP searched the gunman's properties for grenades.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...tols-1.5834765

User Tag List