Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Talk me out of a second ZT 0350

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    I agree with you that I probably shouldn't make the broad sweeping claims based off my experience. I fully admit I've only owned 3 of them. I think my biggest issue was that my knife was handled personally by the production floor manager for ZT and was returned to me unsafe as what was essentially a slip joint disguised as a frame lock. They told me the knife met all their quality standards.

So granted my experience was pretty bad with them. I honestly love their designs. Their collabs with Emerson and hinderer are some of my fave designs in terms of looks.
    And I agree with you completely that they dropped the ball big time. There's no excuse for returning a knife which fails to perform as intended. Would definitely give me pause going forward.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

If you buy a Manix try to find one with skeletonized liners for weight savings or a FRCP model if "plastic" doesn't gag you.

Spyderco's generally have contured handles so some grips can be less comfortable. In a normal grip they are usually better than most.

A PM2 or Stretch or Endella are good Spyderco choices also. If you think a knife is a screw driver or prying tool Spyderco is not for you.

Benchmade: it is hard to beat a Griptillian unless you want to spend more.

Avoid a "waved" knife unless you get to play with one....there is nothing worse than a half opened knife....(that is going to butt hurt a few)

ZT seem expensive and heavy and in general I don't like the blade shapes or thicknesses.

The Emersons I have seen or played with were pieces of shit unless they have improved quality in the last 3 or so years. Especially for the bucks. I would trust Spyderco's budget knives more.

If you like the ZT you had and it did everything you wanted it might be the obvious answer.

Otherwise you might become one of those guys who keeps buying knives looking for the perfect one. And that gets spendy. I know a guy with that problem.....

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    If you buy a Manix try to find one with skeletonized liners for weight savings or a FRCP model if "plastic" doesn't gag you.

Spyderco's generally have contured handles so some grips can be less comfortable. In a normal grip they are usually better than most.
    Yeah, I really wish they would make more knives with mostly symmetric grips.

For some reason, I just don't like knives that are too light. I like being able to feel the weight of the knife in my pocket, and in my hand.

Benchmade: it is hard to beat a Griptillian unless you want to spend more.

Avoid a "waved" knife unless you get to play with one....there is nothing worse than a half opened knife....(that is going to butt hurt a few)
    I like that BM is making the Grip with some blade and handle choices. I have two Benchmade HK Snody knives that are IMO what the Griptilian should have been.

And no butthurt here about wave openers. They aren't for everyone. It takes practice and the right knife/pants combination. I've used waved trainers in the dojo and in classes with great success, but I've put in a lot of effort. I would say that a partially open knife isn't as bad as getting your ass kicked while you're fumbling with your conventional folder... I've fixed a partially open knife a few times, using my training partner as a surface :-)

ZT seem expensive and heavy and in general I don't like the blade shapes or thicknesses.
    Totally agree. I like the weight, but not many of their designs. There's a trend to make their knives look like they would be carried by Klingons on Star Trek, and I'm not into it.

The Emersons I have seen or played with were pieces of shit unless they have improved quality in the last 3 or so years. Especially for the bucks. I would trust Spyderco's budget knives more.
    Emerson: they are expensive for what you get, but his designs are excellent and somewhat unique (e.g CQC 7, Roadhouse, SARK). I haven't experienced any poor quality knives from Emerson (but that's only a sample of 3). If buying a US made knife is important, we expect this will cost extra relative to a Chinese knife. I do not regret buying my Emersons.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Not to derail but.... a chisel ground tanto in 154cm for $200+ with a thin liner lock is not a good value made in Merica or not (Emerson).

A Grip or Manix is far less money with better steel with a blade shape that is actually useful...and also made in Merica.

Not to derail but.... a chisel ground tanto in 154cm for $200+ with a thin liner lock is not a good value made in Merica or not (Emerson).

A Grip or Manix is far less money with better steel with a blade shape that is actually useful...and also made in Merica.
    I'm pretty much with your take but tastes, needs and desires vary. That said, I'm not a martial artist with the blade, though I've been on the wrong side of a blade wielded by someone with bad intent (with less than life threatening consequences).

I won't lecture anyone about their tastes or wants. I'm willing to provide my opinion upon request, however.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Talk me out of a second ZT 0350

My Emerson CQC-7F in S35 works better for my needs than a Manix or a Griptilian. The liner may be thin, but it's tight and works really well. I still prefer the ZT0620 Emerson, but the CQC-7 has better grip ergonomics.

Similarly, my younger daughter's mini-Roadhouse has served her well.

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Emerson: they are expensive for what you get, but his designs are excellent and somewhat unique (e.g CQC 7, Roadhouse, SARK). I haven't experienced any poor quality knives from Emerson (but that's only a sample of 3). If buying a US made knife is important, we expect this will cost extra relative to a Chinese knife. I do not regret buying my Emersons.
    I’m with you on alot of ZT designs; seems like the current trend of many makers is to make what looks like space knives. I’m with you on the robustness of Emersons. And that you pay for the cache of a craftsman. But you lose me when I actually try to use one of his knives. I could even get past the chisel if it wasn’t on the wrong side for a right-hand user. The edge design just won’t push cut; blade just rides up on the chiseled edge rather than cuts in. Reading an article, it seems that the only reason for this is it photographed better. He is finally offering modern steels so that’s good. But what I think most can’t get over is the fit and finish of his knives. You have to admit that there’s a difference when compared to ZT, Benchmade, Spyderco, and even more budget friendly brands like Steelwill, Kiser, shoot, even Kershaw sometimes. But that’s part of his style. It’s just polarizing; people either love his knives or hates them.

My only issue is the chisel on the wrong (for me) side and the customer service. I have a mini-commander that had a clip screw back out (not even often carried) enough to strip the threads of the liner out. I contacted customer support and they gave me a harder time than any other company I’ve dealt with. They insinuated I did it purposely, then I should have caught it sooner, then it was just wear, and finally send it in and I cover shipping both ways. When I got it back, they didn’t replace anything other than a screw. From what I can tell, they took all my original parts and redrilled and tapped the liner for a larger screw. Then put it the old parts back together. I don’t know if they touched up the edge even. I just wasn’t impressed with the repair.

Say what you want about Benchmade, but that’s about the opposite of the Livesharp program.

Site Supporter
    Just got back from CA for a week of in-law family time and wedding stuff.

Wife promised me a gift for something to make it up to me.

Microtech UTX-85 231-10 in M390.

https://houseofblades.com/shop/micro...-231-10-black/

I love this knife. She said she owed me a replacement ZT0350.

I married up.

I like this knife too! Should’ve done it a long time ago.
    God Bless,

Brandon

I was convinced my 350 was the greatest every day knife forevah until I snatched up a Benchmade Barrage with a combo blade last year and I feel bad for the 350 but the Barrage is about all I carry since.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List