Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a second ZT 0350

You could order the Manix 2 from amazon and have it in a couple of days. If it is found wanting, you can return it without risk at no cost.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    You could order the Manix 2 from amazon and have it in a couple of days. If it is found wanting, you can return it without risk at no cost.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
    I really enjoy my Manix 2. Mine’s a sprint in CPM M4, which is an interesting and good cutting steel, but I think I might be happier with it as an EDC blade if it were more corrosion resistant, like every S30v and S35v blade I’ve had.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  87.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I really enjoy my Manix 2. Mine’s a sprint in CPM M4, which is an interesting and good cutting steel, but I think I might be happier with it as an EDC blade if it were more corrosion resistant, like every S30v and S35v blade I’ve had.
    I've got a PM2 and Shaman in M4. I like the aggressive performance of M4. In a stainless, I think S90V gives similar aggression due to the high carbide content. (Not as tough as the tool steel, though.)

I love my old school Manix. Enough that I bought my daughter a Manix 2 for her first real knife.

I'm liking the look of the Manix 2 with the S30V blade with black coating. I have a few Spydercos but none with the coated blades. Any reason to stay away from them?

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    I'm liking the look of the Manix 2 with the S30V blade with black coating. I have a few Spydercos but none with the coated blades. Any reason to stay away from them?
    Some folks have said that corrosion can travel under the coating, (assuming one doesn't maintain their knives). Others say that it helps absorb mineral oil to keep the blades protected.

I don't mind coated blades. I have one Spydie, a few old Benchmades with coated blades.

Some folks have said that corrosion can travel under the coating, (assuming one doesn't maintain their knives). Others say that it helps absorb mineral oil to keep the blades protected.

I don't mind coated blades. I have one Spydie, a few old Benchmades with coated blades.
    I'm going to give one a try.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I am probably at about $100-150. I could go above that if it really merited it. But, I’d need to be convinced.
    Check out the bench made bug out. It's going to be on the other extreme from a ZT0350. Super lightweight and slicey. It's like the J frame of folding knives. Super light weight and realistically can handle most any cutting task.

But along the lines of what you're looking for the Emerson waved PM2 is about to drop. Retail is $160Name:  33721154-664F-48C0-8D24-D717E46BB485_1_201_a.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  47.1 KB
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I will only take issue with your making the statement on a very broad basis...and though I've heard and read of issues, I'm not sure what percentage they represent.

That said, I only have three ZTs. An 0550 and 0551, as well as a 0456. All of them are robust and without issues. They aren't the same as my Spydercos, Benchmades, or my many other custom and production knives, but there is a place for them in the arsenal.

I completely understand your point of view but I'm not entirely prepared to throw them under the bus.
    I agree with you that I probably shouldn't make the broad sweeping claims based off my experience. I fully admit I've only owned 3 of them. I think my biggest issue was that my knife was handled personally by the production floor manager for ZT and was returned to me unsafe as what was essentially a slip joint disguised as a frame lock. They told me the knife met all their quality standards.

So granted my experience was pretty bad with them. I honestly love their designs. Their collabs with Emerson and hinderer are some of my fave designs in terms of looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    It's interesting how different people's experiences with knife brands can be--kind of like guns.

I like Emerson knives, and the Wave is truly one of the best inventions in folding knives. I even gave an Emerson to my younger daughter for a graduation present. But, in comparison to ZT and some of the other manufacturers, our Emersons are very rough. Their liner locks rely on a very thin lock bar, and the liner itself is roughly cut and has ugly unfinished edges.

My two ZT 0620s are the only ZTs I own, mainly because almost none of their designs offer what I want. But, the 0620 is the best implementation of the Emerson Wave I have seen. The frame lock has a replaceable hardened steel insert. Everything about it is well machined. As far as heat treating, mine has the best edge retention of any knife I own. There was some internet discussion about ZT and Elmax steel, and all I can say is my experience doesn't support the critics.

If I recommend a knife to someone, it's usually a Spyderco. But I rarely carry any of mine because their finger grooves make them hard to use in a reverse grip (except for the P'kal which is not a hard use knife at all).
    You are correct. It is crazy how peoples experiences can be so different. I have the experience with Benchmade. I've read how crappy their QC is and I picked up a bugout and I was shocked at how rock solid it was for such a lightweight knife.

I've never owned any Emersons and have read that about them. It's been said a lot that ZT did with the 0620 what Emerson should've done.

It's blasphemous in the knife community but I am not a fan of the pm2. It has a few hot spots and sharp corners and is uncomfortable for me when cutting something like cardboard for an extended period of time. But it's so classic that it should be tried out and recommended to anyone who doesn't have one.

User Tag List