Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a second ZT 0350

Site Supporter

Talk me out of a second ZT 0350

I lost my ZT 0350. I don’t know where. I’ve searched non-stop and it’s been several months.

I had it since October of 2011 and lost it probably October-ish of 2019.

I have been knifeless for the longest since not being in High School now.

I like medium size blades. I like larger grips because it helps manipulate and control the knife when doing heavier cutting tasks. I liked the S30V because it was a very good steel and the knife never rusted.

I like a non-coated blade (DLC) for aesthetics but I carried a coated blade for 8 years and it never rusted. I felt the knife was superbly made, and I miss it.

I am just thinking before I buy another knife I may carry for 5+ years again - ask here.

Uses are mostly office work now, but honestly I’d like something I could use some defensively as well. I’m no knife defense expert, but I do look at it as a worst case scenario.

I’m fairly on track for that same model, but I also haven’t shopped knives in a long time. I thought about a Microtech UTX-85 (apparently some were S30V), but the mechanism doesn’t seem durable enough, the steel changes depending on whatever Microtech feels like at the time, and warranty work again seems on the whims of what happened and what they’ll do to fix it when they can get to it (seeing 6-8 month repair turn times).

Thanks,
    God Bless,

Brandon

Paging @blues

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Paging @blues
    There are too many legitimately good choices. Brandon obviously has a handle on the type of knife he wants. Anything from Spyderco, (Golden, CO knives preferred), or ZT of his liking will fit the bill. Those are actually the only two production knife companies I've purchased from in recent years when I had an itch I wanted to scratch.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Does anyone have a pretty good read on corrosion resistance of S30V?

I do want to do more research and there’s a specific video I need to get back to and watch comparing them, but I figured I’d ask here for first hand accounts and anecdotes.

Also thanks for the link LL!
    God Bless,

Brandon

Spyderco Paramilitary 2. Problem solved.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Does anyone have a pretty good read on corrosion resistance of S30V?

I do want to do more research and there’s a specific video I need to get back to and watch comparing them, but I figured I’d ask here for first hand accounts and anecdotes.

Also thanks for the link LL!
    @BWT

Brandon, have a look at this link for a reasonably good comparison of some of the most popular steels from the perspectives of edge holding, toughness, corrosion resistance and ease of sharpening.

I think you'll find it useful, and I believe others will as well.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I lost my ZT 0350. I don’t know where. I’ve searched non-stop and it’s been several months.
    Buy another ZT 350. You'll find the one you lost about a week after you take delivery.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

@BWT, that sucks. I hate losing things--especially things I've had for a long time, and use regularly. The psychology of loss aversion is strong.

Since you asked for our opinions, I'll give you mine, with no attempt to hide my own biases.

I don't know where you live, but even living near the coast I've never had a problem with corrosion on any knife I didn't dive with. Even my D2 blades are shiny and new looking. But, I really wouldn't care if a little surface corrosion gave one of my hard-use knives a little more character as long as the edge wasn't pitted. I'm much more concerned about edge durability, chipping, or breaking a blade tip. I think S30V is an excellent steel, as are pretty much all the higher end choices. Some are a little harder to sharpen, but I don't care about that.

I carry a ZT 0620 Emerson/Elmax daily, and only a few Spydercos compete with it as my favorite knife. The build quality of every ZT I've handled has been excellent.

That said, I don't love the design of the 0350, or assisted openers in general. I'm not sure what that knife is supposed to be designed for, but the blade is too short and wide for my taste. As well, who needs an assisted opener if the knife is well-made? A good flipper or just a hole or stud will do the job more elegantly and durably. Losing the knife is an opportunity to get something better.

The recommendation of a Spyderco Para2 is an excellent one. As well, the Manix2 is an outstanding knife. Add an aftermarket wave from 5x5, and don't look back.

The ZT0450CF looks like a nice knife.

I bought a UTX-85, but don't have it in hand yet. I don't view it as a hard-use knife, but know people who use theirs daily. Recent reviews of Microtech's CS seem better than before. As well, YouTube videos of detail stripping these knives made it seem pretty straightforward for anyone with decent mechanical skills and a lack of retardation.

Lastly, you are aware that as soon as you press the 'buy' button, your lost knife will appear as if by magic?
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-01-2020 at 10:12 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I have a 350 and a 450cf. Love the 450cf for edc size. The 350 is just a tank build by comparison. Feels much stronger and robust forsure.

User Tag List