Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Resource for the Care and Feeding of the AR15?

What Resource for the Care and Feeding of the AR15?

Given the popularity of the AR15, surely there must be some compendium of knowledge whereby a feller could get educated as to all the finer points of how an AR15 works. Troubleshooting, tuning, optimizing the system (not accessorizing), torque values where applicable, etc. Something at least as detailed as a Glock Armorers Manual, but explanations of how the system works and parts interact would be appreciated too. An AR15 armorer’s manual for the pedant. A hard copy book, or volume of books, would be preferred but a DVD or even a YouTube series would be okay too. And I ask this understanding that the A answer is, take a class. Fine. But give me a reference that lets me get my pedant on and prepares me for the class. Thanks in advance.

Site Supporter
    Get the SAW Armorer's and Colt Armorer's manuals for manuals. Will Larson (RIP) taught a great class that non-LE could attend and I don't know if he had a manual or not. Next, look at Pat Rogers (RIP) videos and material from SWAT magazine for some realistic stuff. For a deeper dive into the gun itself and the true beginnings and good tech information, get Black Rifle I by Edward Ezell and Black Rifle II by Chris Bartocci.

I taught the Colt LE Armorer's class for years and likely have some other stuff that's shareable for you. PM for details.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Get the SAW Armorer's and Colt Armorer's manuals for manuals. Will Larson (RIP) taught a great class that non-LE could attend and I don't know if he had a manual or not. Next, look at Pat Rogers (RIP) videos and material from SWAT magazine for some realistic stuff. For a deeper dive into the gun itself and the true beginnings and good tech information, get Black Rifle I by Edward Ezell and Black Rifle II by Chris Bartocci.

I taught the Colt LE Armorer's class for years and likely have some other stuff that's shareable for you. PM for details.
    Hi Wayne,

Will did not have a manual, but he did teach from a set of notes and Powerpoint slides on his personal laptop. He developed a syllabus, and worked his way through it, covering specific items for build and maintenance procedures.

He also had a tools and parts list that he handed out in class.

Tensaw - here is a link to the second book Wayne mentioned: It's a special edition, and a bit more costly than the regular editions: http://www.specializedarmament.com/b...ecial-edition/

And please, take Wayne up on his offer.

TM 9-1005-319-23&P. You can find it free online.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...e-Base-Threads

While the bulk of the above forum does not have near the signal:noise ratio of PF, the threads in the above link are a good jumping off point for technical info.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I love listening to Pat Rogers talk about guns and shooting. Here is a free YouTube video of him talking AR-15s.

Pat has quite a few retail videos online with Panteao Productions. The Panteao website has a huge library of videos with many of the big-name instructors in the industry, and they have a subscription based streaming service available which gives you unlimited access to their whole library. I just payed for a month because I have some spare time lately and there was a sale. It's the second time I've ordered a month's subscription.

It was worth it just to watch the Pat Rogers videos again.

They also have AR Armorers videos with Dean Caputo, whom I gather Pat Rogers thought quite highly of. I haven't watched those yet. You may take a look at their library and see if it's worth $20 or so dollars for a month of access if you plan on having a lot of spare time for watching firearms related videos.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Given the popularity of the AR15, surely there must be some compendium of knowledge whereby a feller could get educated as to all the finer points of how an AR15 works. Troubleshooting, tuning, optimizing the system (not accessorizing), torque values where applicable, etc. Something at least as detailed as a Glock Armorers Manual, but explanations of how the system works and parts interact would be appreciated too. An AR15 armorer’s manual for the pedant. A hard copy book, or volume of books, would be preferred but a DVD or even a YouTube series would be okay too. And I ask this understanding that the A answer is, take a class. Fine. But give me a reference that lets me get my pedant on and prepares me for the class. Thanks in advance.
    https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Mike.../dp/0980080304

M16/M4 Handbook Spiral-bound – January 1, 2008
    by Mike pannone & Erik Lawrence

This book is a quick reference for military personnel conducting range training. It stems from the author's more than 20 years of shooting experience using the M16/M4 series weapon for support, training, and combat. This handbook is not filled with "nice to know", but only" need to know " information and can be used as a guide for classes prior to range operations, or as a quick reference when operationally deployed. It give the "what" and "how" but also the "why" necessary to teach the proper operation and employment of the M16/M4 weapon system. Areas covered include ballistics, malfunctions, maintenance, and sight adjustment for commonly used optics.

Gunsmithing the AR-15 by Patrick Sweeney is another resource that has some useful info and images.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List