Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: For the Love of Plinking

Thanks! I was hoping to have the upper back from being Cerakoted so I could have the whole thing ready for the 4th but I have a Masters in Procrastination so I didn't get it to the guy in time.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Got a set of grips in today for a project I'm working on.

Attachment 90873

Problem is, they didn't relieve this area for the slide release so the left panel won't fit without modification.
    Attachment 90874

I sent pics to the seller as a head's up and he refunded my purchase immediately and told me to just keep them. He also said he was pulling the listing until they figure out what happened. I suspect they're actually for the MKIII 22/45 which looks like it uses a different style slide release. Or someone missed a step in the casting or machining process. Or someone assumed that part of the frame was the same between the III and IV.

I dug around in the Drill Bit Black Hole of Death drawer in my toolbox and found an endmill of some sort that looked to be about the right diameter with a flat bottom. Chucked it up in the drill press, made a couple of test cuts on a piece of scrap wood and went sort of @JCN on the panel. I wound up relieving a larger area than I wanted to clean up a couple of small oopsies ( ) but overall I'm OK with how it turned out. I'll be on the lookout for something similar but these will work until something better™ comes along.

Attachment 90875

Attachment 90876
    A set like that would look good on my Mk II.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I had a rotten upbringing. The family had a little place not far out of town along a river with woods around it, I was able to shoot as much as I could afford ammo, and hunt squirrels easily. Moving to Flagstaff was excellent in regards to shooting, there were scads of places to shoot on public lands, usually within 15 minutes away. The current (normal) redoubt, I can shoot in my yard at short distance, and out to 1200 or so yards about 5 minutes away.

The temporary location, theres no easy or good place to shoot nearby. The guys I knew that had open space, plate racks, and such are all gone. I know one guy with a pile of dirt in his yard where I can shoot, its OK to check a zero or shoot a group, but nothing like having open space around to shoot various distances and odd targets of opportunity like in the west.
    It's getting tough to find a place to shoot. I had a conversation today with a member of our club. He told me that the club had moved to a qualification for the pistol range for all members. Some won't qualify I'm sure but they get free instruction if they don't.

Anyone wishing to use the outdoor pistol range will need to participate in a short basic pistol review
    and pass a live fire qualifying test. The qualification will require that the shooter at the outdoor pistol
    range hit 20 out of 20 shots on a 14” X 14” target at 7 yards. As to the firearms, bring what you feel
    comfortable with. After you qualify, you can shoot anything you want as long as the SOP's permit it.
    There is no time limit and shooters are advised to practice before hand. Shooter will get a 5 shot warm
    up if they so desire before the qualification. If a shooter fails to make 20 hits on paper, a second round
    will be offered. If the shooter still does not qualify, a reshoot at a later time will be offered after range
    practice with an instructor.
    I don't go to the monthly meetings to vote so maybe I shouldn't complain, but most members don't. About 50 show up for the meetings and there are 500 members. I have to drive 45 minutes to the meetings. Some have to drive an hour our more. Seems reasonable to me to vote by email ballot. They do that with the election of officers so why not a major change in the membership requirements.

I'll shoot the qual no problem, I could do it at 50 yards (did it today), but this is going to pare down the membership considerably , no question about it. Maybe that's their goal.
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-01-2022 at 09:45 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    A set like that would look good on my Mk II.
    I looked but he doesn't have anything for the MKII. I did get an identical set of 1911 panels but I haven't checked them for fitment yet.

I'll probably get a set of these for my Bicentennial Standard: https://www.lsgrips.com/collections/...raved-textured

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    One of the new Houston Hi Standards?
    Yes it is! I like it a lot!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    No. Plinking is unstructured shooting purely for fun. Usually at something other than paper targets.

Empty 12 gauge hulls make good plinking targets for AR-15s.
    This is my position as well. Started plinking at 5 years old with a mini-14. In fact, before I got the armed security gig in, like 1992 all the shooting I did was plinking. Then I growed up, and plinking with a suppressed .22 SBR is a whole 'nother dimension...

pat

Quote Originally Posted by tankpondman View Post
    Yes it is! I like it a lot!
    Thanks! I saw Interarms has the barrels for sale but it says they don't sell complete firearms. I'm guessing they mean direct from their site so I'll have to find a distributor. Or just order a barrel and play Lego with my 106 since I just don't care for the balance of the 7.25" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    It's getting tough to find a place to shoot. I had a conversation today with a member of our club. He told me that the club had moved to a qualification for the pistol range for all members. Some won't qualify I'm sure but they get free instruction if they don't.

I don't go to the monthly meetings to vote so maybe I shouldn't complain, but most members don't. About 50 show up for the meetings and there are 500 members. I have to drive 45 minutes to the meetings. Some have to drive an hour our more. Seems reasonable to me to vote by email ballot. They do that with the election of officers so why not a major change in the membership requirements.

I'll shoot the qual no problem, I could do it at 50 yards (did it today), but this is going to pare down the membership considerably , no question about it. Maybe that's their goal.
    Does your club have an indoor range?

My club has 300+ members. If I go during the week, I usually have my choice of places to shoot. I can and have shut down one entire side of the facility so I can shoot at 300 and 500 on the KD range. Weekends are for the most part taken up by matches in different disciplines. Not nearly as many bays available.

All that to say, I would try to keep as many members as possible, since most don't make regular use of the range.

A couple years ago we got a card reader for the gate. At one board meeting (our board meetings are open to all members) I suggested that they get the data a figure out the number of cards which haven't been swiped more than a dozen times in the preceding year and not include those members in the head count toward our membership ceiling. My though being another 100 to 200 members at $150.00 a year would give us between $15,000 and $30,000 a year for capital improvements. They didn't seem to understand the concept.

An inactive dues paying member is a gun club treasurer's dream.

SORRY FOR THE THREAD DRIFT
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Does your club have an indoor range?

My club has 300+ members. If I go during the week, I usually have my choice of places to shoot. I can and have shut down one entire side of the facility so I can shoot at 300 and 500 on the KD range. Weekends are for the most part taken up by matches in different disciplines. Not nearly as many bays available.

All that to say, I would try to keep as many members as possible, since most don't make regular use of the range.

A couple years ago we got a card reader for the gate. At one board meeting (our board meetings are open to all members) I suggested that they get the data a figure out the number of cards which haven't been swiped more than a dozen times in the preceding year and not include those members in the head count toward our membership ceiling. My though being another 100 to 200 members at $150.00 a year would give us between $15,000 and $30,000 a year for capital improvements. They didn't seem to understand the concept.

An inactive dues paying member is a gun club treasurer's dream.

SORRY FOR THE THREAD DRIFT
    Nothing except the indoor rimfire range. I don't shoot there. I use the 7-50yd outdoor pistol range or the outdoor rifle range. We have about 25 non dues paying inactive members. Years ago they made these folks honorary members with life membership. Some of them live in other states. The club membership is capped at 500 members excepting the honorary members. There's usually a 1-2 year wait to join. I waited 2 years.

There's about 80K in our club bank account. They aren't financially strapped. It may be that the new cert is for liability purposes. The range is surrounded by residential subdivisions. If I elevated a pistol shot over the traps it would hit someone's house, guaranteed. I'm surprised the county hasn't shut the range down yet. I think the problem is the range has been there for 72 years and the subdivisions were permitted by the county long after the club charter.
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-03-2022 at 09:40 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Tried out the Kraken lower on 3 different uppers and it really shone with the Lite (so to speak) due to the dot. I still think the Apex kit in the lower I normally use for that upper is nice (and certainly better than the factory FCG) but the Tandemkross set up is subtly better to my unrefined trigger finger. I really need to get on the ball and install the VQ kit in the other 22/45 lower and compare it to the TK.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy
    7yds CCI SV
    Name:  IMG_5595.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  60.1 KB

7yds CCI SV bottom, Norma Tac-22 top. When I have my poop in a group it looks like they perform about the same but I still think the Norma is greasier than a fast food taco
    Name:  IMG_5600.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  47.4 KB
    Last edited by awp_101; 07-06-2022 at 04:06 PM.

User Tag List