Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: For the Love of Plinking

Thanks, I'll ask this guy and maybe I can remember it this time...

My Memorial Day splurge showed up last week and I finally got pictures.

Name:  IMG_5500.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5501.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  102.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5502.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  87.8 KB

Not sure I'm crazy about the flat trigger. I'm generally not a flat trigger fan and the checkering on the edges of the face are pretty sharp. The trigger pull itself it nice though, 2.5-ish# on my Lyman gauge. The Plan™ is for a Black Mamba upper eventually but I might grab a black Pac-Lite and continue the OD/black theme.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Where might one find a factory lower thats available for reasonable?

I found myself in possession of a short std upper that would be fun to get running as a plinker and knock around gun.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Where might one find a factory lower thats available for reasonable?

I found myself in possession of a short std upper that would be fun to get running as a plinker and knock around gun.
    From what I've seen, they're very scarce right now. VQ has their frame for the I-III for almost $500 and very occasionally I see used, stripped I-III at Wirthwein Guns for $250+ (and they're usually gone within a few minutes of getting the restock email).

The last 2 weekends I looked on GB, Guns International, Ebay and at least 1 rimfire specific forum and found bupkis. Right now it looks like it's cheaper and more feasible to buy a complete pistol.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

We moved from a suburb of New Orleans, to Western Oklahoma (Elk City), in ‘81, and that’s when I got my first real gun. I was 14, and I spent so much time shooting my favorite gun, a Remington 552 Speedmaster. Once I was able to drive, it was with me so much of the time, muzzle in the floorboard, with the receiver resting on the front edge of the seat. Over the years, the bluing was rubbed off from the seat, showing the aluminum underneath.
    Shooting tin cans at ‘the pit’ on the south side of town, only 5:00 away was our favorite spot, along with shooting rabbits at the lake that was also very close by.
    I’m bummed that I don’t get to do this kind of thing anymore, since I live in the city, and getting to any of the outdoor ranges, is a minimum of 1-1.5hrs
    The absolute worst part, is that while still in Oklahoma, I traded that rifle for a T/C Contender barrel in .222 Remington, and I’ve SEVERELY regretted that decision ever since! I know most people have been there, and you learn from that, and vow not to repeat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    We moved from a suburb of New Orleans, to Western Oklahoma (Elk City), in ‘81, and that’s when I got my first real gun. I was 14, and I spent so much time shooting my favorite gun, a Remington 552 Speedmaster. Once I was able to drive, it was with me so much of the time, muzzle in the floorboard, with the receiver resting on the front edge of the seat. Over the years, the bluing was rubbed off from the seat, showing the aluminum underneath.
    Shooting tin cans at ‘the pit’ on the south side of town, only 5:00 away was our favorite spot, along with shooting rabbits at the lake that was also very close by.
    I’m bummed that I don’t get to do this kind of thing anymore, since I live in the city, and getting to any of the outdoor ranges, is a minimum of 1-1.5hrs
    The absolute worst part, is that while still in Oklahoma, I traded that rifle for a T/C Contender barrel in .222 Remington, and I’ve SEVERELY regretted that decision ever since! I know most people have been there, and you learn from that, and vow not to repeat it.

I had a rotten upbringing. The family had a little place not far out of town along a river with woods around it, I was able to shoot as much as I could afford ammo, and hunt squirrels easily. Moving to Flagstaff was excellent in regards to shooting, there were scads of places to shoot on public lands, usually within 15 minutes away. The current (normal) redoubt, I can shoot in my yard at short distance, and out to 1200 or so yards about 5 minutes away.

The temporary location, theres no easy or good place to shoot nearby. The guys I knew that had open space, plate racks, and such are all gone. I know one guy with a pile of dirt in his yard where I can shoot, its OK to check a zero or shoot a group, but nothing like having open space around to shoot various distances and odd targets of opportunity like in the west.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    From what I've seen, they're very scarce right now. VQ has their frame for the I-III for almost $500 and very occasionally I see used, stripped I-III at Wirthwein Guns for $250+ (and they're usually gone within a few minutes of getting the restock email).

The last 2 weekends I looked on GB, Guns International, Ebay and at least 1 rimfire specific forum and found bupkis. Right now it looks like it's cheaper and more feasible to buy a complete pistol.
    Ive seen complete parts guns minus receiver now and then, but they bring close to what a complete gun can be had for, so not much point. I dont really need, nor can I likely appreciate a high grade lower. Id be happy with just a beater lower to make a plinker out of.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Cool

Ran around 300 rounds of .22lr thru my 2 Hi Standard pistols on Wednesday.
    A mixture of Agulia an Tac-22.
    Pistols were an old Sport king and new "X series Victor.
    Both ran well & all cans (soda) were mutilated.

Quote Originally Posted by tankpondman View Post
    new "X series Victor.
    One of the new Houston Hi Standards?

Got a set of grips in today for a project I'm working on.

Name:  22-45 Betsy.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  50.2 KB

Problem is, they didn't relieve this area for the slide release so the left panel won't fit without modification.
    Name:  22-45 Betsy-1.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  50.8 KB

I sent pics to the seller as a head's up and he refunded my purchase immediately and told me to just keep them. He also said he was pulling the listing until they figure out what happened. I suspect they're actually for the MKIII 22/45 which looks like it uses a different style slide release. Or someone missed a step in the casting or machining process. Or someone assumed that part of the frame was the same between the III and IV.

I dug around in the Drill Bit Black Hole of Death drawer in my toolbox and found an endmill of some sort that looked to be about the right diameter with a flat bottom. Chucked it up in the drill press, made a couple of test cuts on a piece of scrap wood and went sort of @JCN on the panel. I wound up relieving a larger area than I wanted to clean up a couple of small oopsies ( ) but overall I'm OK with how it turned out. I'll be on the lookout for something similar but these will work until something better™ comes along.

Name:  IMG_5547.jpg
Size:  52.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5548.jpg
Size:  54.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Got a set of grips in today for a project I'm working on.

I dug around in the Drill Bit Black Hole of Death drawer in my toolbox and found an endmill of some sort that looked to be about the right diameter with a flat bottom. Chucked it up in the drill press, made a couple of test cuts on a piece of scrap wood and went sort of @JCN on the panel. I wound up relieving a larger area than I wanted to clean up a couple of small oopsies ( ) but overall I'm OK with how it turned out. I'll be on the lookout for something similar but these will work until something better™ comes along.
    Nicely done! Looks great and just in time for Independence Day!

User Tag List