Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: For the Love of Plinking

I have a small reactive target set up in my backward about 50' from my back deck. I don't plink around here with anything but a pellet rifle.

In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Looks like a good set up.

What in the world is growing into the base of the left hand tree?

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Looks like a good set up.

What in the world is growing into the base of the left hand tree?
    That's an old Dish bracket. The maple is so big it just ate it before I could remove it. In a few years it will be digested.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Oh, that'll play hob with somebody's chainsaw.

New plinker inbound. Picked up a new 4.75” Mark IV Standard (Model 40104) off GB since my local guy can’t get an ETA from his distributor. Should be here Monday and I’ll break it in over July 4th weekend.

I’ve got my eye on a birth year Standard in need of some TLC. Just waiting on the fun fund to replenish.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I’ve got my eye on a birth year Standard in need of some TLC. Just waiting on the fun fund to replenish.
    You will not be disappointed. My preference is the RST-6, which is the original model with the six-inch pencil barrel. I have two with the original A54 frames, a 1964 RST-6 and a 1961 RST-4 that have both been restored and finished in Cerakote. I also have a RST-6 from 1979 with the later A100 frame that also was restored and refinished in Cerakote. The 1964 RST-6 is my most often fired pistol and has seen untold cases of ammo. I did file the front sight down to bring up the POI at twenty-five yards with a 6:00 hold. With my preferred 40-grain standard velocity ammo, it is a very accurate and precise shooter. If I could only have one pistol, that 1964 RST-6 would be the one.

I enjoy the older pistols that lack the lack round hold open and use the safety as a bolt lock, but I learned on those pistols and got into the habit of counting rounds. The older Standards have a much better trigger than the later Mark III and Mark IV models. The one thing I do recommend is the addition of an extended magazine release if you choose to use the later ten-round magazines. The extended release allows for a bit more travel, allowing the catch to clear the transition between the plastic base and metal tube of the newer designs. The one shown in the below picture came from Volquartsen and was marketed for the stainless Mark II models, but the magazine catch design is identical to that of the Standard. I believe the silver finish of the release complements the trigger and magazine base.

I am on the hunt for a "200th Year of American Liberty" RST-6.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

As a kid I had a Ruger MKI target 6 7/8 tapered heavy barrel. One time when shooting it with a bud, we set up an empty cardboard 50 rd 22 cartridge box, at I think 65 yards. We had little trouble hitting it. Somehow that slipped way ages ago.

A few years ago I managed to get a clean MKII 6 7/8, it shoots very well, though I havent been able to really shoot it much yet. I think I'll clean up the trigger pull a bit, but it doesnt need much to shoot well. I majorly deburred the mainspring housing, it was atrocious, as most are. It now latches and unlatches without much effort and no binding or harsh words. I may scope it at some point, its worthy of a scope, maybe a 2x or 3x Leupold.

Ive had a couple of the 5 1/2" bull barrel target MKIs also, they shoot well, but dont have the appeal of the 6 7/8" guns to my eye. For a short time Ruger made a 5 1/4 or 5 1/2" heavy tapered MKI target model, they bring a bit of a premium. I was watching them a few years ago on GB but none ended up in my budget range. I think its the best looking one of all.

Name:  Ruger 22 pistol.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  103.5 KB
    Last edited by Malamute; 06-23-2022 at 09:18 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I have two with the original A54 frames, a 1964 RST-6 and a 1961 RST-4 that have both been restored and finished in Cerakote. I also have a RST-6 from 1979 with the later A100 frame that also was restored and refinished in Cerakote.
    Which shade of Cerakote? Tomorrow I'm dropping off a Lite upper for a custom Cerakote finish and the guy mentioned he does a semi-gloss that looks like bluing but I don't remember the shade of blue he uses. The RST-4 I'm looking at has already been refinished but not very well. I was thinking about having Ruger do a reblue but Cerakote isn't off the table.

My RST-6 is indeed fun so I'm looking forward to the Shorty Standard.

The MKIV may not be as refined as the I/II but it's what got me back on the Mark series bus. Once I realized I don't detail strip or deep clean after every range session, the better pricing of the I/II keeps me looking at them. But it is nice to know that if I need to take a IV down for cleaning it won't require turning it upside down, repeating 3 incantations, 5 Hail Marys and holding my mouth just right to get it back together.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post

The MKIV may not be as refined as the I/II but it's what got me back on the Mark series bus. Once I realized I don't detail strip or deep clean after every range session, the better pricing of the I/II keeps me looking at them. But it is nice to know that if I need to take a IV down for cleaning it won't require turning it upside down, repeating 3 incantations, 5 Hail Marys and holding my mouth just right to get it back together.
    Ive not found the older ones to be terribly complicated to take down, but the poorly fitting parts make it more difficult and frustrating than it needs to be. Aggressively deburring the mainspring housing made it much nicer. They basically assembled die stamped parts from thick stock with little or no clean-up work.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

For colors, my smith uses a matte black, but I am not sure of the actual Cerakote color. It may be "sniper black" as that rings a bell. My goals for the finish are simple, protect the metal and low glare. Other than that, I am not picky.

User Tag List