Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: For the Love of Plinking

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tankpondman View Post
    I suppose "plinking" is with .22 or less??

9mm and .38spl is considered "shooting" ???
    No. Plinking is unstructured shooting purely for fun. Usually at something other than paper targets.

Empty 12 gauge hulls make good plinking targets for AR-15s.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-17-2021 at 10:39 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Two more fun plinking/semi-target rimfires, the Browning Nomad and the Norinco TT Olympia. The Nomad is a feature-reduced Challenger, which was derived from the Colt Woodsman. The features reduced are the last-shot hold open and the removal of a device that allowed the pistol to be dry-fired without damage. As I grew up shooting Ruger Standard pistols, I am used to counting shots so as to not dry fire. This Nomad below with the short barrel and tall post front sight is from 1962 and has an alloy frame. The longer-barreled Nomad is from 1969 and has a steel frame. The latter pistol is on its way to me now.
    That's cool. Seriously.

I have a Browning Challenger and a Nomad. Both are quite clean shooter-grade pistols, I wouldn't call them collectors. But I like it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I put a down payment on a used Nomad at a gunshop that had a range. They let me take it out and shoot it. Trigger was amazing and I shot the tiniest group I have ever shot with a 22LR handgun.

When I got home, I saw that prices on extra magazines were crazy so I panicked and went back the shop and bought the Buckmark that was sitting next to it instead. Today I am still happy I bought the Buckman but I wish I had the Nomad.
    There are how-tos on Rimfire Central to convert I think it's Beretta Neos mags to work in the old Browning Challengers. I haven't tried it, though.

I've picked up a few 6-3/4 inch Challenger III pencil barrels and put them on Buckmarks so I can try to wear them out without feeling bad about it, and so I can have a stack of mags without feeling stupid about it. I really like the setup. They make me look good with CCI SV.

I really wish I could find more Silhouette sear springs for Buck Marks. Browning will take your money and tell you they're selling you one now, but what you actually get is the standard one. Went around that loop, and Numrich was good about refunding my money. Volquartsen used to have an in-between sear spring, but I haven't actually seen one in person and it's discontinued.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I put a down payment on a used Nomad at a gunshop that had a range. They let me take it out and shoot it. Trigger was amazing and I shot the tiniest group I have ever shot with a 22LR handgun.

When I got home, I saw that prices on extra magazines were crazy so I panicked and went back the shop and bought the Buckmark that was sitting next to it instead. Today I am still happy I bought the Buckman but I wish I had the Nomad.
    Triple K makes a replacement magazine that (surprisingly) functions just fine in the Nomad. The original Triple K magazine fed just fine but did not actuate the hold-open mechanism on the Challenger and Medallist. Since the Nomad does not have that functionality, Triple K magazine 296 works just fine for it.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Triple K makes a replacement magazine that (surprisingly) functions just fine in the Nomad. The original Triple K magazine fed just fine but did not actuate the hold-open mechanism on the Challenger and Medallist. Since the Nomad does not have that functionality, Triple K magazine 296 works just fine for it.
    Now you tell me!
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Totally nothing wrong at all with plinking and a plinking gun. Or six. Makes for great fun and wonderful memories, don't it?

Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Totally nothing wrong at all with plinking and a plinking gun. Or six. Makes for great fun and wonderful memories, don't it?
    Yes, it does. I also find plinking with reactive targets is both fun and relaxing, and it can be useful. We have some rubber-like targets that allow the bullet to pass through them with minimal damage. To keep one moving until one is out of ammo is a good challenge as it forces one to move, reacquire the sights, and control the trigger press. It is no USPSA match, but it does force one to react to the last shot. I also like to tape Necco wafers to a string and let them move in a gentle breeze. Of course, we also have metal spinning targets.

Ah, plinking. The cause of and solution to all my shooting problems. I learned many bad habits growing up with a BB gun in my hand but I’m working on fixing as many as I can.

My two latest plinkers. 1968 Supermatic Trophy and 1976 Ruger Standard.

Name:  BF6ED1AA-BBF9-4347-9073-DAFBDC52CB02.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  51.1 KB
    Name:  01C3C958-A4BA-403C-B054-EDA984492CCF.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  47.2 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

That 1976 Ruger Standard is sweet. I love the "Made in the 200th Year of American Liberty" roll marked on every Ruger made that year.

Thanks, I’ve got a light box on the way so I hope to have some really nice shots of it this weekend wearing the vintage thumb rest panels I picked up earlier this week.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

New light box showed up early so I’m playing around with it

Name:  512E350E-92B6-4B8C-B490-3A50F0E3B272.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  44.7 KB
    Name:  DCC07191-18AE-4B88-9282-5ADDE6C81600.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  47.0 KB

Name:  3903EA63-C78B-47D0-A463-8CDE5B2DAE0E.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  36.7 KB

User Tag List