Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner's Question: What is 9mm "Luger" Ammunition?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    As noted, the 9x19mm round is often referred to as 9mm Luger, since that was the first pistol it was chambered for and the 9mm Parabellum or 9mm para, which is Latin for “For War” since it was initially for military use.

9mm NATO and 9mm +P variations of 9x19mm are both slightly “hotter” than standard pressure 9mm ammo. Meaning it operates at slightly higher pressure and drives the bullets at slightly higher velocity. They are fine in any modern service pistol and is actually the ammunition 9mm Glocks are designed to run.
    To the OP: welcome to the forum.
    Reference your original question, “Luger” refers to the original designer of the cartridge, Georg Luger, an Austrian gun designer who designed the cartridge for the German military in the beginning of the 20th century.
    Over the decades, it’s been referred to by many different names; I think Luger designated it “9mm Parabellum”. It received the designation of 9x19mm(19mm being the case length) sometime in the 1950s by NATO-this,9x19mmNATO.
    As others have said, most 9mm ammo will work in your GLOCK. FWIW, I have used several bullet weights, usually 124 or 147 grain ball-full metal jacket- for training and competition. I prefer heavier bullets for defense like 135 gr. Hornady or 147 gr. jacketed hollow point...but ya have to hit the target no matter what cartridge.
    So, train and practice-best of luck!

I’ll go ahead and third or fourth, or whatever sgammo and targetsports. It’s worth haunting them to get a baseline on pricing. Prices are very high right now. If you can wait until the channels fill up again after all this COVID panic buying, you will likely save 80 bucks/1000 on 9mm.

Also, welcome to P-F.

And this is why this is the only forum I check regularly! A new member asks a question and everybody answers it and welcomes him. Welcome to the club, Bug!

Wow, I'm blown away by the fast and informative responses. You guys are all great.
    Based on all y'all's recommendations, I ended up buying 1000 rounds from SGAmmo to get started; it wasn't particularly cheap, but I went ahead regardless.
    Cheers everyone again. I really appreciate the warm welcome and advice.

Welcome to PF!

I can see why this is a source of confusion. Almost no one, either verbally or on the net, uses the "Luger" designation.

When folks bother to put a further descriptor on it usually ends up as "9mm Para" or something similar or "9x19."

Seems to be one of those unspoken gun culture things, and it goes back at least to the 80s.

(I think "9mm Luger" sounds a bit silly)

ETA: It's only "Luger" in North America, I think....
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Welcome to PF!

I can see why this is a source of confusion. Almost no one, either verbally or on the net, uses the "Luger" designation.

When folks bother to put a further descriptor on it usually ends up as "9mm Para" or something similar or "9x19."

Seems to be one of those unspoken gun culture things, and it goes back at least to the 80s.

(I think "9mm Luger" sounds a bit silly)
    I don't remember which brand, but one of the major ammo manufacturers puts "9mm Luger" on their boxes.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I don't remember which brand, but one of the major ammo manufacturers puts "9mm Luger" on their boxes.
    Oh its used in packaging, websites, etc....I probably should have been clearer. I just meant actual gun people don't really use the term in direct communication with each other. At least I don't.

In the US, "9mm" is pretty clear as meaning 9x19, since 9mm Kurtz/Short is always ".380" and 9mm Mak is uncommon. Other 9mm cartridges are C&R fodder or pretty exotic (9mm Dillon).
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Oh its used in packaging, websites, etc....I probably should have been clearer. I just meant actual gun people don't really use the term in direct communication with each other. At least I don't.

In the US, "9mm" is pretty clear as meaning 9x19, since 9mm Kurtz/Short is always ".380" and 9mm Mak is uncommon. Other 9mm cartridges are C&R fodder or pretty exotic (9mm Dillon).
    Agreed.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Site Supporter

ETA: It's only "Luger" in North America, I think....
    FYI - C.I.P.'s official name is "9 mm Luger", as is SAAMI's ("9mm Luger").
    Last edited by SiriusBlunder; 05-01-2020 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMWINCLE View Post
    FYI - C.I.P.'s official name is "9 mm Luger", as is SAAMI's ("9mm Luger").
    Thanks for the correction.

Why did "Luger" become a standard? Sure, first pistol for the chambering, but it wasn't the original name for the cartridge.

I'm not sure why I think firearms nomenclature should make sense. It often doesn't.

(My other pet peeve-- revolvers not being pistols. The original term was revolving/revolver-pistol...)
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List