Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner's Question: What is 9mm "Luger" Ammunition?

Beginner's Question: What is 9mm "Luger" Ammunition?

I'm new to the pistol-forum and semi-new to serious gun ownership.
    I have owned a Gen 3 Glock 19 for a few years, but I am just now getting into serious practice.
    With that in mind, I'd like to buy ammunition in bulk for range purposes.
    When looking at sites like Freedom Munitions, I notice that many of the 9mm options are for "luger" ammo
    My first (and perhaps dumb) question: what is "luger" 9mm ammo?
    Second question: for general practice shooting at paper targets, what would you guys recommend I look into purchasing?
    Thanks in advance...
    -Bug

First off, welcome to PF.

For a million reasons, some cartridges have more than one name. For instance, 9x19, 9mm, 9mm Parabellum, 9mm NATO, and 9mm Luger all refer to the ammo that you use in your G19. For practice ammo, almost anything will do but some brands and loads are more accurate in some pistols than others. For carry ammo, check out posts by DocGKR in the Ammunition forum.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

For a million reasons, some cartridges have more than one name. For instance, 9x19, 9mm, 9mm Parabellum, 9mm NATO, and 9mm Luger all refer to the ammo that you use in your G19. For practice ammo, almost anything will do but some brands and loads are more accurate in some pistols than others. For carry ammo, check out posts by DocGKR in the Ammunition forum.

Okie John
    Although, to be more confusing, 9mm NATO-spec will be "hotter" (more powerful) than Joe Shmoe 9mm 115gr FMJ (standard training-level cheap ammo)
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

Okie John
    Just to add for the OP- any of the above descriptions means the ammo will work in your pistol. There are also other 9mm diameter ammo that will not. Avoid other descriptors such as 9mm kurz, 9x17 (both mean .380), 9mm Makarov, 9x18mm, 9x23, 9mm Dillion, and I’m sure others.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Although, to be more confusing, 9mm NATO-spec will be "hotter" (more powerful) than Joe Shmoe 9mm 115gr FMJ (standard training-level cheap ammo)
    As noted, the 9x19mm round is often referred to as 9mm Luger, since that was the first pistol it was chambered for and the 9mm Parabellum or 9mm para, which is Latin for “For War” since it was initially for military use.

9mm NATO and 9mm +P variations of 9x19mm are both slightly “hotter” than standard pressure 9mm ammo. Meaning it operates at slightly higher pressure and drives the bullets at slightly higher velocity. They are fine in any modern service pistol and is actually the ammunition 9mm Glocks are designed to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Bug View Post
    I'm new to the pistol-forum and semi-new to serious gun ownership.
    I have owned a Gen 3 Glock 19 for a few years, but I am just now getting into serious practice.
    With that in mind, I'd like to buy ammunition in bulk for range purposes.
    When looking at sites like Freedom Munitions, I notice that many of the 9mm options are for "luger" ammo
    My first (and perhaps dumb) question: what is "luger" 9mm ammo?
    Second question: for general practice shooting at paper targets, what would you guys recommend I look into purchasing?
    Thanks in advance...
    -Bug
    Warm welcome to p-f. I think the guys above covered "Luger" ammunition, but this link might also help to explain the term:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%C3%9719mm_Parabellum

It is a bit of a coincidence the historic pistol and ammunition share the same name.

I am very far from an expert, but have found good online sources of practice ammunition, bought in larger quantities (multiples of 1,000) to be near the lowest prices. You may know this, but there three common "types" (weights actually) of the bullets in 9mm - 115 grain, 124 grain, and 147 grain. Depending on powder load, and weight, they will definitely feel different in your Glock 19.

I've settled on a couple providers lately:

www.sgammo.com

and

www.targetsportsusa.com

There are certainly others. FM is one of them; and I've happily shot many thousands of rounds of Freedom over the years. I also have had an occasional, and noticeable malfunction attributed to using FM. So I've opted not to order. But many use them without issue.

For me, I tend to order anything from Federal or Speer; usually Federal American Eagle or Speer Lawman, typically in 124 grain. This gives me good performance which matches point of impact / point of aim for my chosen carry load, Federal HST 147, in my gun(s) (Glock 19, Glock 43X), for how I shoot (lefty). YMMV.

Good luck!

This is a great place to ask questions. A lot of folks here have forgotten more about Pistols than I will ever know. Ask away.

Rich

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Warm welcome to p-f. I think the guys above covered "Luger" ammunition, but this link might also help to explain the term:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%C3%9719mm_Parabellum

It is a bit of a coincidence the historic pistol and ammunition share the same name.

I am very far from an expert, but have found good online sources of practice ammunition, bought in larger quantities (multiples of 1,000) to be near the lowest prices. You may know this, but there three common "types" (weights actually) of the bullets in 9mm - 115 grain, 124 grain, and 147 grain. Depending on powder load, and weight, they will definitely feel different in your Glock 19.

I've settled on a couple providers lately:

www.sgammo.com

and

www.targetsportsusa.com

There are certainly others. FM is one of them; and I've happily shot many thousands of rounds of Freedom over the years. I also have had an occasional, and noticeable malfunction attributed to using FM. So I've opted not to order. But many use them without issue.

For me, I tend to order anything from Federal or Speer; usually Federal American Eagle or Speer Lawman, typically in 124 grain. This gives me good performance which matches point of impact / point of aim for my chosen carry load, Federal HST 147, in my gun(s) (Glock 19, Glock 43X), for how I shoot (lefty). YMMV.

Good luck!

This is a great place to ask questions. A lot of folks here have forgotten more about Pistols than I will ever know. Ask away.

Rich
    Second the recommendations for SG Ammo and Target Sports.

Other options include Lucygunner.com, and Natchez. AR parts purveyor Palmetto State Armory sometimes has good deals on bulk ammo.

One thing to consider is shipping.

Shipping for 1k of 9mm, for me is normally $16 from SG Ammo vs $24 from PSA. “Free shipping,” when offered is always built into the price so you need to look at the price to your door with shipping

For example:

1k of 9mm from SG Ammo at $184 = $200 to my door.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Just to add for the OP- any of the above descriptions means the ammo will work in your pistol. There are also other 9mm diameter ammo that will not. Avoid other descriptors such as 9mm kurz, 9x17 (both mean .380), 9mm Makarov, 9x18mm, 9x23, 9mm Dillion, and I’m sure others.
    9mm Largo, for example, is a fairly unusual round these days, but if you find some, don’t buy it for your G19 - Largo =/= Luger.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Other options include Lucygunner.com, and Natchez. AR parts purveyor Palmetto State Armory sometimes has good deals on bulk ammo.

Shipping for 1k of 9mm, for me is normally $16 from SG Ammo vs $24 from PSA. “Free shipping,” when offered is always built into the price so you need to look at the price to your door with shipping

For example:

luckygunner.com, not *lucy*

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

For example:

TargetSports frequently includes free shipping for bulk ammo (typically 1000 rounds). I'll second the recommendation of Target and SG, and I've purchased ammo and other stuff from Palmetto State frequently without any issues.

Also note across the top that Palmetto and Natchez are supporters of this site.

ETA: It's hard to go wrong with any weight of Speer Lawman if you can find it. (https://www.speer-ammo.com/performance/lawman)

User Tag List