Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Spyderco Resilience

Site Supporter
    I am beginning to think knife clearly exceeds the intersection of quality and value.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    On the Resiliance, do the screws that attache the clip thread into the metal liner, or the plastic scales?

I carried a Griptillian for over 10 years. I suspect I left it in a rental car.* Since then I've been toting a cheap import waved Kershaw. I actually don't mind it but after about six months the screws that thread into the plastic handle are loose, and un-tightenable.

* The two 20 year old guys at the rental car place disavowed any knowledge of finding my $100 knife...
    They’re G10 scales, and the screws reach the steel to the inside of the steel liners.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I am beginning to think knife clearly exceeds the intersection of quality and value.
    You mean “this knife” or “knife the idea”

This knife was only $57 shipped. I’m glad I listened to the Voice of the Maple Leaf instead of Clusterfrack’s malevolent machinations against my wallet.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    That knife. That is a ton of knife for 60 max in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post

This knife was only $57 shipped. I’m glad I listened to the Voice of the Maple Leaf instead of Clusterfrack’s malevolent machinations against my wallet.
    Did I just wake up in a parallel universe where @LittleLebowski is Suze Orman? How long have I been asleep?

#ripvanwinkle
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post

I will FUCK UP your wallet. When I'm done with it, there will be nothing but ATM receipts and overdrawn credit cards. Your wallet will be skinnier than a tweaker ho. It won't even have a condom in it because it already reused it 12 times for $5 blow jobs. Your wallet doesn't even remember what a $20 bill looks like.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I will FUCK UP your wallet. When I'm done with it, there will be nothing but ATM receipts and overdrawn credit cards. Your wallet will be skinnier than a tweaker ho. It won't even have a condom in it because it already reused it 12 times for $5 blow jobs. Your wallet doesn't even remember what a $20 bill looks like.
    Fucker! JK
    You just made Coke Zero come out of my nose!! NOT Kidding.

Hey, let's go to Vegas or go gun shopping, could be fun!!
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter

Convex edge

One thing I really like about my Tenacious, besides that I got it for, IIRC, $40 on a sale, is that as good a knife as it is, it was inexpensive enough (while not being a Byrd) and replaceable enough that I was willing to experiment a little. I got this knife as a less expensive spare to my stainless handled Delica, which was a knife I wanted for years and years after my karate teacher showed me the first Spyderco I’d ever seen when I was 18.

I used this knife for a few months, and decided that it need a bit different edge geometry to be the slicer its profile and full flat grind gave it the potential to be.

I’ve made knives as a hobby since I was a little kid: my dad is a not famous but skilled bladesmith. Re-profiling a blade, or changing edge geometry, or removing buggered serrations and making a plain edge, none of that stuff intimidates me at all. Making the edge convex took a very short time and a huge difference.

So this is what my edge looks like now:

Name:  BB175A7F-9798-4707-AB11-8291302B78F6.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  67.6 KB

It made quite a nice inexpensive knife with a lot of potential into a great slicer. I have a number of other knives, many much more valuable than this one, but it still gets carried from time to time, and lives in my hiking/hunting bag as the deer cleaner/fuzz stick maker/spare to whatever else I’m carrying/go bag stuff.

Every size I’ve seen in this series is just as nice, and I predict LL is going to enjoy his new blade.

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I carry one daily as my main utility knife. Country of origin aside, from a purely utilitarian perspective I love it. Today I try to prioritize gear built in ally countries but then, I'm also the sole income earner in my family so I get having to make those choices.

Anyway it's an excellent knife. I love the shallow, flat grind. Slices like crazy.Attachment 53072
    I have the Tenacious, the smaller brother to the Resilience. I bought it as a cheap way it to figure out why Spyderco fans were so fanatical about the ergonomics. I now have a dozen or so other Spyderco knifes around the house.

Most of my other Spydercos are from Golden or the Taichung plant which both produce some fantastic pocket knives.
    I still love the Tenacious though. It's cheap (I think I paid $34). And unlike a bunch of the other Spydercos, the Resiliance, Tenacious and Ambitious lack a finger choir on the blade and consequentially pack a whole lot more usable blade. It's just a sharp edge from tip to handle. No choil or guard. I love it. I wish Spyderco would do a sprint run of the Tenacious or Risiliance in Golden with a higher end steel

ETA: Just so it's clear - I support your decision to buy the Resilience.
    Last edited by Crawls; 05-02-2020 at 07:32 PM.

It’s made in China. That’s really the only reason one needs not to buy it.

Personally, I love Spyderco’s but I am done buying any knives made in China and don’t want to give money to their government.
    So, are we pissing all over Shivworks China Picks, too?
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List