Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Spyderco Resilience

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Staying ever so slightly on topic, how does one determine if a Spyderco is US or Chinese made? Doing just a quick look, I don't see the info in Amazon or Blade HQ descriptions.
    Ask blues, duh.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Some of the Taichung (Taiwan) knives are quite expensive. Hundreds.
    I probably shoulda been more specific, PRC.

Site Supporter
    And just like that, man's inhumanity to man was gone in an instant...
    How many times can I like this post?

Site Supporter
    Some of the Taichung (Taiwan) knives are quite expensive. Hundreds.
    China is China, Taiwan just speaks Chinese.

All of the Tenacious line and the Byrd line are/were made in China. All the rest come from a number of places: Seki City, Japan; Taichung, Taiwan; Golden Colorado, USA, Earth; there are probably other places they have or will have blades made.

I have some of each. All are good.

Buy one of their knives made in Golden, CO. You're welcome.
    You were right. My PM2 and a sweet Benchmade Tom Jones gifted me are both noticeably easier to sharpen and don't roll the edge so readily like the Resilience.
    #RESIST

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    You were right. My PM2 and a sweet Benchmade Tom Jones gifted me are both noticeably easier to sharpen and don't roll the edge so readily like the Resilience.
    The Golden made PM2 is one of my favorite knives of all time.

I used to have two and sold my extra. Vaguely regret doing that...

Knifecenter and BladeHQ both separate out Spyderco models by origin location. You can also just check Spyderco's website.

FWIW - I have nothing but good things to say about Golden-made and Seki City-made Spydercos. I haven't tried the Taiwanese-made knives, but my understanding is they are as good as the Seki.

Still, for my money, I prefer USA or Japanese-made steel. Seki City has such a strong knife making tradition and half a dozen US-based brands and several European brands use Seki City makers.

All that said, I'm liking the Italian-made DPx HEST I got from Tom Jones. The grind is nice and symmetrical and D2 is a favorite steel of mine (right behind the many iterations of ATS34/CPM154/154CM/RWL34).

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Knifecenter and BladeHQ both separate out Spyderco models by origin location. You can also just check Spyderco's website.

FWIW - I have nothing but good things to say about Golden-made and Seki City-made Spydercos. I haven't tried the Taiwanese-made knives, but my understanding is they are as good as the Seki.

Still, for my money, I prefer USA or Japanese-made steel. Seki City has such a strong knife making tradition and half a dozen US-based brands and several European brands use Seki City makers.

All that said, I'm liking the Italian-made DPx HEST I got from Tom Jones. The grind is nice and symmetrical and D2 is a favorite steel of mine (right behind the many iterations of ATS34/CPM154/154CM/RWL34).
    +1 on the Seki City Spydies. I’ve got more of them than anything else, but it’s also very likely I have a Delica/Endura problem. I love that pattern. I think the Golden CO made Spydies May be a pinch better, mostly because you get some better lock options and S30V is probably a better base steel than VG-10, but I’ll never turn my nose up at a Japanese Spyderco.

Come to think of it, when my dad asked me to pick him out a Spyderco to buy, I handed him one of my Delicas first, because I knew that was about the size he’d like. He ordered one within the hour.

I'm a Spyderco junkie. The Spyderco knives coming out of the Taichung (Taiwan) factory have been exemplary. Some Spyderco fans say that they're even better than the Golden knives.
    The Taichung Spyderco knives I have came with the best sharpening I've seen on Spyderco knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    I'm a Spyderco junkie. The Spyderco knives coming out of the Taichung (Taiwan) factory have been exemplary. Some Spyderco fans say that they're even better than the Golden knives.
    The Taichung Spyderco knives I have came with the best sharpening I've seen on Spyderco knives.
    What are some models they produce there?

FWIW, my favorite cheap knife is the Ontario Rat folder...made in Taiwan.

User Tag List