Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Spyderco Resilience

Student
    Pretty much all QuietCarry's products begin as kickstarters, so that may also be why there is not a lot of info.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    How about a Manix 2 LW in P-F Orange? A little more $, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Absolutely or. I just find it easier to drop $57 on an impulse purchase than twice as much.

I miss my LW Manix; great knife, a feather in your pocket but big enough to use hard if needed. Plus, I've read good things about the CPM-Rex 45 steel. It's worth the extra impulse.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I carry one daily as my main utility knife.
    @misanthropist , thoughts on use in FGEI or RGEI? Or non-issue, because there's the CP hanging around for that?

<subliminal>
    Do it! Do it! Fuck it! Buy it!
    </subliminal>
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I have a Tenacious, slightly smaller than the Resilience.
    I have one also, but I also have a Para (very nice) and the Resilience, so it seems to not get much use now, but since it is not worth much I will probably hang onto it. If I want something nice I go with the Para, if I might need a crowbar I end up with the Resilience.

I also have a Persistence, and with the clip removed it rides pretty well in the hip pocket of dress slacks, or jeans if you are doing something where you do not want to be that guy with the knife clipped to his pocket. I also have a Para3 now, and it might get the clip removed and replace the Persistence in that role. This will require me to resume a daily routine that occasionally requires slacks, so no rush on that. I also frequently clip my Para inside my elastic shorts and maybe the Para3 might be nicer in that role.

I cheaped out on a few of the shitty Chinese knives in an effort to see what works when/where. I also bought them when I was paying off some debt, now I can systematically upgrade here and there. One thing about knives is until you reach the level of refinement of @blues you can buy yourself a nice treat for less than a pistol costs.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    One thing about knives is until you reach the level of refinement of @blues you can buy yourself a nice treat for less than a pistol costs.
    My high end buying days are pretty much behind me. I mostly just buy Spydercos for the pocket the last couple of years. The rest of the stuff either gets held on to, occasionally sold, and some given away for one reason or another.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    <subliminal>
    Do it! Do it! Fuck it! Buy it!
    </subliminal>
    The voice of the maple leaf earlier in this thread told me to do it.
    #RESIST

Say no to ChiCom gear. I EDC a Delica with a stainless steel handle. Made in Seki City Japan. I have been carrying Delicas in one form or another since about 1995.
    Last edited by Gray Ghost; 04-30-2020 at 09:52 AM.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    @misanthropist , thoughts on use in FGEI or RGEI? Or non-issue, because there's the CP hanging around for that?
    I hadn't ever thought about it precisely for the reason you mention: I always have a CP on me, or, when in shorts and beltless, I have recently begun to carry the crazy CRKT klingon-decepticon thing which I admit is kind of silly but it's just so freaking cool. And for a front-pocket kerambit it works pretty well.

Anyway handling the Resilience right now, both FGEI and RGEI lock in pretty solid and I can go to FGEI really well from opening. RGEI the transition is super awkward just because of the size of the knife and I would never try it one-handed while getting tossed around by anyone that could toss me around, it'd go airborne for sure.

I bought it for use as a big slicer for practical tasks (and because I couldn't find my Endura) and in that role it works really well. As a foldable pocket kitchen knife, it's amazing - the proportions of the blade are kind of like a mini-chef's knife. Could you shank somebody with it? Hell yes; despite being a devotee of the Clinch Pick I think in general people really overthink knives as cutting and stabbing tools: it's a wedge where some of the bits are skinny enough to squish them between other things. Run what you brung, it's fine. But it's definitely not optimized for defensive use. The G10 is plenty grippy, though, and I have never had issues with it slipping around in my hand. I can hold it in pretty much any configuration and stick it through some heavy stiff plastic I have here without ever feeling like it might move in my hand; a more slippery knife I wouldn't be doing this with.

I also don't have the issue with it that some liner locks do where you can accidentally work the lock loose by drilling with the knife tip etc. Some liner locks I can disengage by working the knife around in my hand, the same way a soft holster can trip a trigger, the meat just flops around the lock and you can pop it loose. But this one is deep enough that I can't get it to trip so I'm very confident in the knife staying open.

My only complaint is that it's from China, other than that I think for everything but RGEI fighting it's a terrific knife.

Dude, think of how Walter's going to feel after lying belly down in the mud of Vietnam only to have you buy a Chinese Spyderco. Oh, the horror.

Next thing you know, you'll be advocating rolling on shabbos.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List