Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is pistol shooting with one hand good practice?

Of late, my warm-up / walk-on gut check is a 10-10-10 test, one run each OH, SHO, WHO.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    I'm a big fan of one handed shooting. Especially with my Ruger .22 pistol. It helps with trigger control, but also helps with the important task of managing the sights.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Several years ago I buggered up my left shoulder. It was multiple years before it came back fully on line. That experience encouraged me to become as close to an ambidextrous shooter as I could.

Program: Monday through Friday.
    Initial shots are from the holster.
    5 draw-two hand shoot-reload-two hand shoot
    10 draw-two-hand shoot
    10 draw-one-hand shoot

Repeat with other hand for a total of 50 "shots".

Target:
    The target is a 1/3rd scale silhouette at 40 feet (adjusted distance: 40 yards). This is "fired" on Mondays.
    Tuesday through Friday is the same target but at 7 feet (yards).

Speed:
    This practice is done early AM before my wife awakens and needs to go downrange. A "beep" would disturb her, thus no timer is used. Instead, before shooting I calibrate a silent OneGreatBigElephant count to get to 10 Elephants in 10 seconds. On "One" I draw. On "Great" I'm starting the push. That leaves "BigElephant" to get off a decent trigger press. This sometimes works at 7 yards. At 40 it's still aspirational.

Site Supporter
    Missed the edit window and didn't get back to link this...

My dry fire lately has included some of this... It illustrates what I believe are solid, relevant performance standards with SHO and WHO

Will run it when the range reopens.

http://pistol-training.com/drills/10-8-pistol-test

My foray into pistol shooting nearly 40 years ago began with participation in a NRA Bullseye league. It took me a while to realize that using two hands on a handgun was a thing.

Most of my dry fire is SHO with my support hand placed on my chest or holding a flashlight. The rest is two handed with some occasional WHO thrown in just for the heck of it.

I honestly did the smallest amount possible of one handed shooting until I saw Mason Lane's scores at Nats and said "now just HOLD ON a second"

Site Supporter
    Answer to the question - yes.

1. After breaking my wrist, I had to shoot one handed with my non dominant hand for quite a bit. Foolishly, I had signed up for some classes - one at KRtraining (met Paul Gomez there), Ayoob's LFI-1 Stressfire and did them one handed.

2. Now, as an old fart, I have developed tendonitis in my support arm, very painful. So while I can't shoot, I've been shooting up the house with my SIRT.

3. We shoot one handed in IDPA quite a bit.

4. Got shot in the hand, in FOF a few times.

Grandpa didn't know any way but one-handed. Watched him own me (no great task in '89), my dad, my uncle, and my uncle's brother, and we were all shooting two-handed on a 1911. It was funny.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 05-19-2020 at 03:32 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Oh and to ansewr the question: yes!

Can you guarantee you will have two functional arms in an emergency?

I try to do at least 50% of my shooting this way. If I am using a handgun in my house, it's probably because I don't have two hands free/usuable for my 12 gauge.

I find wrong handed pistol shooting not too awful, my brain locks up with a longarm on the wrong shoulder tho.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Is pistol shooting with one hand good practice?

I’m going to be a dissenting voice here. While it is good to be able to shoot well SHO and WHO, training heavily one handed isn’t the magic that will take you to the next level. If one hand yielded great skill advancement, everyone would be doing it. The current top USPSA shooters didn’t get good by focusing even 10% on one handed skills.

Just because it’s hard doesn’t mean it’s going to make you better faster.

I think it is better to train freestyle, diagnose your shortcomings, and focus on that for the majority of your time. SHO/WHO? Maybe 5%, unless you have a mission specific reason for that type of shooting. In my experience, freestyle skills transfer well to SHO/WHO.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List