Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is pistol shooting with one hand good practice?

I always begin a range session with strong and weak one handed practice (cold) with and without my glasses, and then again later in the session after being 'warmed up.' I figure if I ever need to shoot one-handed, it'll most likely be an extremely rapid onset with cold shooting reflexes.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Folks,

Thanks for your help.
    Glad to know I am on the right track.

Randy

Yes, train to shoot with one hand Plenty of good reasons already having been stated, I do not need to add much. There is plenty, in real life, for one’s other hand to be doing, at the moment a fight occurs. Do train to keep the other hand out of the way! Folks have unintentionally shot their own hands, from time to time.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I am new to this forum. I feel it is very important to practice one-handed. I start each practice shooting three mags, first with the right hand, and three mags with the left hand. It is equally important to keep both eyes open.

Yes. It's important to practice with one hand.

It's also important to know what you are looking for while doing it. Consistent grip pressure and pressing the trigger straight are my keys. These should be the same in two handed shooting as well, but two handed support can cover a lot of faults. If you are tensing the entire hand or pushing the trigger sideways it becomes very evident with one hand on the gun.

I would strongly suggest a lot of dry fire before spending much ammo on life fire shooting. A fast press on the timer beep then assess what you just saw on the sights and felt in your hand.
    (Full disclosure. This is all Ben Stoeger stuff. I just use it because it works)

Site Supporter
    I had to shoot weak hand unsupported for qualifications in law enforcement and occasionally for early IPSC matches I shot in, so I practiced it some. Back in those days I almost never practiced strong hand unsupported. It was required for qual but that was at close range and I managed center hits in the generous time limit the old qualification course had.

Fast forward to today. I'm old and broken and can't and don't want to take the fight to the bad guy. Much more likely I will be confronted at very close range and will simply want to dis-engage. I see one handed shooting at just beyond contact distance as a very real possibility so it's been added to my limited practice. That has also affected my approach to my carry ammo. Belching and roaring Buffalo Bore Heavy rounds are quite impressive, but dang they are hard to handle one handed for these old, arthritic hands. I'm seriously looking for a different carry load, largely because of one hand shooting and what it showed me. It's educational.

Dave

Yes, you should practice one-handed shooting. What percentage of your training time should be devoted to it is up to you. But, it's one more tool in the tool box and you always want a full tool box when you go to work. Two things helped my one-handed shooting, both strong and weak hand: years of shooting bullseye and busting up my shooting arms years ago. After the latter I had a number of months where I could only use my left hand.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

One more word of encouragement to shoot one handed:do.
    I would also advocate for a little dry fire time, one handed with both primary and support hand. It has helped me develop my trigger press and consistent grip.
    IMHO, one good drill to evaluate where you are at is the 5 yard roundup.
    Good shooting!

Site Supporter
    There has been a lot of good info shared here already is that I agree there is a strong likely hood you may need to be able to accurately shoot one handed and for that reason I suggest and do practice that skill. Both SHO and WHO.

I spend a lot of time shooting strong-hand only because, for years, I have shot Bullseye. In that sport, only one hand is on the gun. The restriction to one hand makes any minor grip or trigger squeeze flaws apparent on the fifty-yard targets. Shooting one hand makes it easier to find and correct flaws as there are fewer variables. It also shows, for me, the need for weight training to help my shooting. It is kind of humbling to see one's hand shake just holding a forty-five ounce pistol at arms length.

User Tag List