Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is pistol shooting with one hand good practice?

Is pistol shooting with one hand good practice?

I recently bought a micro Ruger .22; so I am wondering what are your thoughts about training, in part, by shooting with one hand.

I am thinking it might be a good way to practice my trigger press.

Thanks,

Randy

Absolutely.
    #RESIST

I typically use 5-10% of my session ammo on LHO/RHO shooting. I find it very beneficial in building overall shooting skill.
    Taking a break from social media.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I forget which one of the Delta guys said it (I think it's Mac though) - he said if he could only do one drill to keep his pistol skills up, it would be one hand shooting for the very reason you mentioned. It will also reinforce all your fundamentals as it is easier to mask errors when shooting two handed (which is the reason most of us are more accurate with both hands).

I practice between 10-20% of my shooting one hand and given what I consider my most likely self defense scenario - there is a high probability I will be shooting one handed. I probably don't practice it enough.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 04-29-2020 at 10:00 PM.

Point Shoot From a Draw, one handed.

Yes, I highly recommend anything that you can do in your training to make it more realistic.

I know a lot of ranges do not permit this type of training...be sure and check first.

Expanding further, shooting one handed shows recoil characteristics, and tracking. If the pistol tracks well one handed, that can indicate an even, neutral, grip.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    One handed shooting with each side is a regular part of my range practice. Since COVID-19 arrived and the range has been closed, I've spent lots of time running one handed manipulations with dummy rounds.

Yes, and I make a point of shooting both SHO and WHO.

Site Supporter
    At least ten rounds each session one handed both left and right.

I don’t do it, and never really did (but then, I never really “practiced” outside of matches or classes) but I think *you* should for the reasons mentioned. Among other things shooting one-handed appears to positive,y impact one’s abilities to shoot two-handed.

When I have had periods of Getting Serious About Pistol Shooting and have gotten into a dry fire routine, I always included some string hand and weak hand.

As far as manipulations one-handed, I think it’s important to learn a few techniques if you’re shooting with an eye towards self defense, but frankly I’ve found in the past that a passing understanding of a technique and a lot of familiarity with the gun and one’s own body is more than enough to perform said manipulations when called upon to do so. In fact, it may be better than training one only one particular set of one-handed manipulations in the event that your one chosen method may not be available due to real-world conditions.
    Last edited by rob_s; 04-30-2020 at 07:40 AM.

User Tag List