Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow Systems MR920--John Farnam's Take

Site Supporter
    In the way that we don't use reloads in our carry guns. Wouldn't these Gucci guns potentially be a problem too in a SD situation?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    In the way that we don't use reloads in our carry guns. Wouldn't these Gucci guns potentially be a problem too in a SD situation?

I can’t imagine why. It’s not like you put an MR920 together the way you reload ammunition. It’s an off-the-shelf gun from a smaller, boutique manufacturer. It’s not even a gun that had custom work done to it. It’s no different from running a Hodge Defense AR instead of a Colt 6920. I can see having to pay your defense attorney to explain things in court after you shot someone with a Polymer 80 G19 clone you had to build and assemble yourself, but I don’t understand the concern about using this gun instead of a Glock one.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I'm not saying that the MR920 isn't a perfectly viable gun and worthy of acquisition. But I am a bit wary of such boutique guns; are they genuinely improved sufficiently (substantivally or even incrimentally) over their competition (which I imagine primarily to be Glock, SIG P320, HK VP, Smith & Wesson M&P) to justify going down the outlier path-against that which is more vetted, has more aftermarket suport, has more "on the ground" available aftermarket support?

Basically, my thought has been simply to get one of the more vetted mainstream alternatives, and a case of ammunition + training/practice/competition....

But hey, if it floates your boat, more power to you. Just be aware of the spectre of Hudson, Caracel, Remington....

There may be something to be said for a manufacturer with a track record, experience, fielding, depth of manufacturing capabilities, access to materials, and an engineering department, versus a bright idea/individual linked with some loose investment capitol...

Best, Jon

I've concluded that guns like this are great for other people to carry.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post

No worries. I was qual’ed to carry two Les Baer 1911 duty pistols, at the time I retired from LEO-ing, in early 2018. When I wear a long-enough cover garment, I may still carry them. (The old shoulder is not as readily-articulable as it used to be, so with my short waist and long arms, carrying a 1911 means OWB, and not “high-ride.”)

I have been known to carry an even-more-boutique Seecamp LWS-32, on occasion.

Just stay away from the add-on skull, Mjolnir, and Punisher stuff.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Tokarev ran his 918 in a 1000 round class last year. I was shooting next to him for most of it, and I don’t recall him having a single issue with the gun.

If they actually work (and it seems that they do), and the shooter can afford it and likes it, I don’t see a problem with them.

I’m a genuine nobody when it comes to guns and gun knowledge, and that’s not false modesty. So consider the source. That said, while I can’t speak to the MR920, I have an MR918, I installed the SCD, and it has been great through about 1500 rounds of various factory FMJ and JHP. Not a single bobble or hiccup, it feels great (much better than a G19 but just as light and concealable), shoots flat as hell, and on drills it is the very surprising equal to my VP9. In addition, their customer service is second to none. Is it worth $1500? Not a chance. But it’s only $850 to $900 or so depending on which variant you get, and definitely worth it just for the sights and stippling and undercut and RMR cut.

Just for purposes of clarification, the pistol does not have a P80 frame. There is an important distinction there that must be made known...

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Tokarev ran his 918 in a 1000 round class last year. I was shooting next to him for most of it, and I don’t recall him having a single issue with the gun.

If they actually work (and it seems that they do), and the shooter can afford it and likes it, I don’t see a problem with them.
    I did use my 918 but also used my Sokol Browning Hi Power. I'd say it was 65/35 in favor of the 918.

There was another fellow there with an MR918. His was the Elite model with the slide lightening cuts. I talked to him briefly and he said his gun was running fine.

Are these Shadow Systems guns really all that different from 1911s from Kimber, Springfield Armory, Ruger, etc? None of these three makers are traditional 1911 companies but they make 1911s that are accepted my most in the community. I suppose the argument can be made that Kimber and Ruger (and Springfield although possibly to a lesser extent) are firearms manufacturers with years in the business so they should know what's safe, good practice, etc.

Maybe a better comparison is the AR made by Noveske. I'm sure many here on the board own and shoot Noveske rifles and would recommend them to others even though they are a boutique maker. How much background and experience did Noveske have before selling rifles?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I suppose the argument can be made that Kimber and Ruger (and Springfield although possibly to a lesser extent) are firearms manufacturers with years in the business
    I'm not an early adopter, so that colors my thinking.

If Glock really had their shit together, or they weren't Germanic, they would have done all this already and Shadow Systems wouldn't have an opening. If Shadow Systems wanted to be Uber cool, they'd have put an SCD in it. If they'd include an orange JMCK AIWB with the pistol, half the forum would have one already.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List