Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Shadow Systems MR920--John Farnam's Take

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    "...rounds of high-performance 9mm+p through it, Super-Vel, Defiant Munitions, Underwood, and Lehigh Defense."

Interesting brand choices. I presume that is what he had about in the bin so to speak.

If you knew the guy you’d understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    File out the notch on the righthand side. That should be all it takes.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thank you very much. My other concern was the Gen 5 has an ambi slide release.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Thank you very much. My other concern was the Gen 5 has an ambi slide release.
    There appears to be enough "play" in the right side slide release that it will clear a Gen4 pattern slide. I didn't try it live fire but it locks open on an empty mag no problem.

It should be possible, if necessary, to file a notch in the slide to mirror what's on the left. Touch up with cold blue or leave in the white.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Like I mentioned in the last Shadow systems 920 thread,

I don’t really understand this gun. 1k for a Glock clone with no Glock parts built on a p80 lower filled with gimmicky stuff.

At least with a boring and inexpensive Glock you got some sort of track record and know it’s been vetted. Not to mention the backing of a company that I don’t really see going anywhere in a long time.
    Wow. There is a whole lot here that needs to be broken down. I've owned a few - g23, g17, g48 of "boring inexpensive Glocks" AND an MR920. So I have direct, first hand knowledge of both systems.

1) The frame and slide are SS proprietary design, they were able to successfully lower the bore axis to make a soft shooting 9mm, even softer.
    2) The frame is NOT a p80 frame, and p80 does not make the frame for SS. They've come out and said that already.
    3) The backstrap system is proprietary and should considered the gold standard IMO. They actually change the POI based on grip angle, and they allow you to achieve a natural point of aim.
    4) The warranty they carry IMO is second to none. If involved in a SD incident they will give you a replacement (if you are still legal to do so), I had a concern about firing pin reliability after reading a few comments, I emailed SS and they sent me a firing pin assembly no questions asked just in case
    5) not sure what you consider gimmicky but lets breakdown pricing:
    Gen 4 Glock 19 - $519
    Slide Milling/Cerakoting - $279
    Aluminum Trigger - $135
    Stippling $85+
    Magwell - $29
    TTI Connector - $44
    Ameriglo Sights - $80
    Recoil Spring Adapter/SS Guide Rod Setup for Flat Wound Spring - $35
    Aluminum Mag Release - $35

Add another $200 if you do a barrel upgrade.

Total for doing the same work that the MR920 Comes from the factory with: ~$1440

MR920 Combat - $699
    MR920 Elite - $970

I'm having a really hard time seeing your angle here? I purchase my MR920 last year after nearly 6 months of research and debating between a stock 19 and the MR920. Have yet to do anything by shoot my 920. The first thing I do with my 'boring inexpensive Glocks' is put money into them whether its sights, trigger, etc. Which also represents a large number of Glock owners that do the same they when they purchase a new Glock.

My suggestion (IMHO) find someone who has an MR920, and shoot it, and then form your opinion. At the very least, get some education on the product before you call it gimmicky.

^my buddy has a SS, absolutely loves it. He's slowly getting away from all of his Glocks because of it (aside his Gen 3, 19)

User Tag List