Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow Systems MR920--John Farnam's Take

Shadow Systems MR920--John Farnam's Take

29 Apr 20

Shadow Systems

I now have my copy of the Shadow Systems’ MR920 Pistol about which I commented last January at this year’s SHOT Show.

Using the G19 as a model, the MR920 is designed as an “ergonomically enhanced” personal-defense carry-pistol. However, the MR920 does not use any Glock parts, and the entire gun is manufactured in America (TX).

The pistol is compact, slim, and very light, with no extra bulk, nor weight, nor maladroit protrusions. For a formidable 16-shooter, it is a pleasure to carry!

“Cat’s tongue” texturing on backstrap and grips. Excellent 5-pound trigger. Snappy reset. Ameriglow’s front sight.

My copy does not have an optic (at my request).

I took my copy to the Range today and put several hundred rounds of high-performance 9mm+p through it, Super-Vel, Defiant Munitions, Underwood, and Lehigh Defense.

The Manual that comes with the MR920 recommends a “break-in” of 200 rounds before carrying the gun for serious purposes. My experience today suggests that is probably unnecessary, as this pistol handily digested all ammunition I had with me, slow-fire and rapid-fire, without any hiccups.

For the past year-and-a-half I’ve been carrying my SIG320, and I have no complaints! That pistol has been my constant companion, has never let me down, and enjoys my sincerest recommendation!

Prior to that, I carried my G48, and my Walther PPQ prior to that. Both are also excellent, and recommended.

Now, I’ll be carrying and using my MR920. I’m satisfied that it is up to the task!

It retails for under 1k, and the MR920 thus represents a nice “custom” carry-pistol. I know all the central personalities at Shadow Systems, and I admire their personal devotion to excellence and to the advancement of our Art.

You can see the MR920 at Shadow System’s Web Page.

I’ll continue to report!

/John

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Several hundred flawless rounds and now his carry gun — that a vote for the Shadow or against the 320?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

You don't approve?

Site Supporter
    "...rounds of high-performance 9mm+p through it, Super-Vel, Defiant Munitions, Underwood, and Lehigh Defense."

Interesting brand choices. I presume that is what he had about in the bin so to speak.

Like I mentioned in the last Shadow systems 920 thread,

I don’t really understand this gun. 1k for a Glock clone with no Glock parts built on a p80 lower filled with gimmicky stuff.

At least with a boring and inexpensive Glock you got some sort of track record and know it’s been vetted. Not to mention the backing of a company that I don’t really see going anywhere in a long time.

Not being a dick but...

Holosun regularly gets accused of all manner of intellectual theft despite having actual innovation.

A virtual clone of someone elses work gets a by ,peculiar.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Like I mentioned in the last Shadow systems 920 thread,

I don’t really understand this gun. 1k for a Glock clone with no Glock parts built on a p80 lower filled with gimmicky stuff.

At least with a boring and inexpensive Glock you got some sort of track record and know it’s been vetted. Not to mention the backing of a company that I don’t really see going anywhere in a long time.
    Nothing really gimmicky at all in the gun. No "-" connector or funky trigger mod that deactivates or renders the internal safeties less effective. No ultra-light striker spring that makes ignition spotty or unreliable.

Not sure about the optic mount yet as the guns are still too new but I imagine the lower position in the slide combined with the longer mounting screws and no adapter plate will prove to be a durable and reliable system.

Cosmetically the gun may be a bit flashy and not to everyone's taste. I get that. But the serrations are aggressive without being sharp, the grip texture is equally well done. The beavertail extension is what Glock should be doing. Anyone who gets slide bite from a factory G19 will agree...

Also, the 918 (I assume the 920 also) has been "adopted" by the likes of Dan Brokos and John Lovell. Lovell even has his own version of the pistol. While doubters will say this is just advertising based on getting free guns I'll counter and say the same must then hold true with BCM's lineup of celebrities.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Not being a dick but...

Holosun regularly gets accused of all manner of intellectual theft despite having actual innovation.

A virtual clone of someone elses work gets a by ,peculiar.
    Copies are standard practice in the firearms world. Some of the most popular products are copies of some other company's work.

Besides, Shadow Systems isn't the only company copying Glock.

From the website:

Current LEAD TIME: 14-16 weeks.
    But Farnam has had his long enough to test it out.

You do the math.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List