Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Beretta 92 grip issue

Probably not the best pics and in no way were the LTT grips harmed with this process :P

its holding up well and I shaped it after it skinned over but not easy to smooth over.

I looked at alot of grips and virtually all grips viewed seemed to be stepped down in that area.

i like the LTT grips but wished they were normal thickness with no step down at the top of the grip panel.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

I picked up an LTT used (and when I say used it was USED) and figured what the hell I would take it to a match and see how it goes after living the Glock life forever. Well first stage it turned into a one shot black powder pistol with some issues on other stages when I didn't lower my support hand. I am convinced that it is not my thumb causing it but the swell of my palm as I lock my support hand at 45 degree angle hitting the actual lateral extension of the slide stop. Anyway, this is my slide catch spring looked like compared to the new one (new one being on the left).

Name:  IMG_3196.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  26.0 KB

I need to get out and shoot it and see if it was in fact the slide stop spring because really don't feel like shooting plastic at the moment when I have the choice. If that doesn't take then the actual lever on this his slide stop is about to get as thin as a glock slide stop.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Thinking back, since I didn’t used to have this problem, I wonder if thin grips are the issue. Will have to see whether I have some thicker ones on an older 92 in the safe.
    I had the reverse of your problem: slide not locking back because of my strong side thumb on the release. I also can't use extended mag releases. The solution for me is either regular VZ, or VZ palm swell grips (which I prefer).
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I will 3rd the Stoner grips. I like the 'Super Agressives' and then I modify them. A rest for my thumb (this would be the opposite of what GJM needs though), a reduction near the mag release, and a smoothing of the right grip ahead of the beavertail so my hand slides up under the beaver tail more easily.
    20200505_083605 by craig stuard, on Flickr

20200505_083617 by craig stuard, on Flickr

BTW JB Weld works real well for building up grips. This a thumb rest I built up on a stock Beretta plastic grip probably 10 years ago. Just an experiment but turns out my wife really likes it. Looking at this picture I realize I need to go back and finish this a little better.
    20200505_084946 by craig stuard, on Flickr

Try rotating your left support hand further around the grip, (clock wise), until your right grip hand thumb tip is behind that first joint on your left support hand thumb. I checked your grip pic and compared it to mine and that is the difference. I have a lot of trigger time with the 92 and can’t remember having an interference with the slide lock lever. I can try and take a pic of my grip when I have another human available to help out with the photography. I wear a 2XL sized glove so my hands are larger than average.

I’d also like to add a little different perspective and don’t mean to be offensive. My secondary MOS in the Marine Corps was Range Coach. Long story there. If a Marine showed up on my range and was inducing malfunctions because of how they engaged a weapon we wouldn’t be looking at how we could modify it so they could engage it the same way. Instead, we would be looking at how they are engaging it, make the necessary corrections, practice it and move forward.
    Last edited by medmo; 05-07-2020 at 11:57 PM.

Since I pulled the thin grips and replaced them with standard thickness ones, and became aware of how the slide stop pivots, I haven’t had another issue with the slide locking back with rounds in the magazine. Will continue to test, but I am optimistic the issue is resolved.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I am glad to see this. Sure didn't want you to have to dump all your 92s.

Slide stop "dynamics"

One thing to note here, after spending roughly 5 years working in R&D for Beretta and Kimber, I got to spend a lot of time assessing pistol performance under high speed video (20k+ frames per second). And if you watch the behavior of the slide stop in various guns during cycling you will realize that there are tons of complex dynamics involved in how the slide stop behaves during the cycle. Getting the slide stop to perform its function and hold open via upward pressure from the magazine follower after the last shot can be somewhat challenging. Ensuring that the slide stop does not happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time to hold the slide open early before the mag is empty is also challenging. It is a careful balance of masses, springs, etc. and is sensitive to very minor inputs and changes.

So, when you then add in the factor of the human aspect coming into play, you end up with what can be a big mess. I think what is being mentioned here is testament to that reality. And you may not see the impacts of how your grip and "style" affects the behavior of the slide stop during a static "grip check".

I think GJM was fortunate in being able to root-cause this issue in a relatively straightforward manner, but that may not always be the case.

Regards,
    Steve

Student
    Just a heads up for anyone having the same issues, while Lok has standard thickness grips for the full size, they only have thin grips for the compacts at this time. I contacted them yesterday and their response confirmed this.

Not sure how their thin grips compare with the VZ thins.

I had a few occurrences of slide locking back prematurely before I watched Ernest Langdon’s grip U-Tube in one of his classes discussing grip. My occurrence were pushing down on front of slide lock. I am right handed and was not rotating my support hand (left for me) forward and angling my fingers toward the ground (not around trigger guard). Ernest talks about creating friction with increased skin contact surface area. I also put my left thumb under the take-down lever tab (protruding out to left). I have not had an issue since. I feel like if I am any higher I will interfere with slide movement. Also I have Walnut grips on my 92A1 which are not thin but I love the feel and look.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

User Tag List