Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 grip issue

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    While it is not ideal, I could deal with the slide not locking back. What I cannot deal with, is the slide locking back with cartridges still in the magazine.

I bet five pistol forum dollars that thicker grips solves this problem.
    I bet you're right.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Hammertime
    Thinking back, since I didn’t used to have this problem, I wonder if thin grips are the issue. Will have to see whether I have some thicker ones on an older 92 in the safe.
    I don’t care for the thin Landon’s but it isn’t bad enough for me to swap them and I don’t get your issue at all. Do like the chunkier Wilson’s.

Where around here do I pay my 5 PF dollars. I think the thicker grips helped, and you can visually see how the thicker grips expose less of the bottom of the slide stop. Unfortunately, it happened again this morning at the range. It was clear that my left, support thumb pushed down on the front of the slide stop, forcing the rear up. This is very frustrating, and I have never encountered such a thing on any other type pistol.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Two choices....learn to adapt or don’t. I got a lesson on this years ago from legendary firearms instructor Larry Nichols on my inability to shoot a Glock well. “Son, that ain’t a 1911 and you need to quit holding it like one”. My grip is different for different guns. My Raptor drives different and has different controls than my wife’s Range Rover.....both are different from anything I ever rent. Our Jeep is very different from everything else. I tend to never really have these issues because I shot HK USP’s for so many years with the worlds biggest slide release. Because of this my grip is “wrong, or weird”. So the choices are adapt, modify, or use something else.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I just spent some time looking at a few other pistol designs, to see if they were susceptible to pressure on the front of the slide stop causing the rear of the slide stop to lift. The Glock slide stop is internal so no potential for an issue. The CZ Shadow and HK P2000 have slide stop designs so pressure on the front of the slide stop does not cause the rear to lift. Same with the PX4 C, pushing on the front of the slide stop doesn’t lift the rear. I wonder if this design is unique to the 92.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Two choices....learn to adapt or don’t. I got a lesson on this years ago from legendary firearms instructor Larry Nichols on my inability to shoot a Glock well. “Son, that ain’t a 1911 and you need to quit holding it like one”. My grip is different for different guns. My Raptor drives different and has different controls than my wife’s Range Rover.....both are different from anything I ever rent. Our Jeep is very different from everything else. I tend to never really have these issues because I shot HK USP’s for so many years with the worlds biggest slide release. Because of this my grip is “wrong, or weird”. So the choices are adapt, modify, or use something else.
    To adapt, you first need to understand the problem. Respectfully, this is different than the USP, which has never given me a lick of trouble and I just had apart studying on the bench. With the USP, you can press like crazy on the front of the slide stop, and it does not cause the rear of the slide stop to lift, resulting in the slide locking back with cartridges in the magazine.

By contrast, this 92 issue can be caused by either upward pressure from below on the rear of the 92’s slide stop, or pressure down on the front of the slide stop. Obviously having your support thumb never touch a control is one solution, but unlike the base of my thumbs, the tips of my thumbs can move around. Thicker grips, reducing the size of the rear of the slide stop, and breaking the edge on the front of the slide stop would appear to make this much less likely to happen.

I was never aware of this aspect of how the 92 slide stop works, and how different it is than other pistols, until today.

Student
    I had to learn of it the fun way during the first Bills for score during my second run through Gabe's class. The best part was when he gave me an alibi and I still managed to cock it up because I forgot to rechamber a fresh round after clearing.

I just spent some time looking at a few other pistol designs, to see if they were susceptible to pressure on the front of the slide stop causing the rear of the slide stop to lift. The Glock slide stop is internal so no potential for an issue. The CZ Shadow and HK P2000 have slide stop designs so pressure on the front of the slide stop does not cause the rear to lift. Same with the PX4 C, pushing on the front of the slide stop doesn’t lift the rear. I wonder if this design is unique to the 92.
    I dropped the BHP years ago for that very reason. My support thumb kept applying pressure on the front of the slide stop and inducing premature lock back. Either my hands were too big, or the gun was too small depending on your point of view.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    “Son, that ain’t a 1911 and you need to quit holding it like one”. My grip is different for different guns.
    Gotta ask - how do you hold a Glock?

I had the same issue with my LTT, which I don't seem to have with any of my other 92s. I swapped out the think LTT grips for standard thickness grips and the issue went away. I think that and/or removing some material from the slide release would cure the issue. I ran into a similar issue with P-series Sigs when using G10 grips. They're too thin and my hands kept interfering with the de-cocker.
    For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4 KJV

User Tag List