Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 870 express...how badly will this get my kilt in da skreetz?

870 express...how badly will this get my kilt in da skreetz?

I've been a huge Benelli fan for years. I've owned M1's and M2's including an M1 SBS. They're all gone now. It's good, it's fine, it was intentional. I might like to have another at some point, but right now I just don't have enough need for a shotgun to keep that much tied up in one. I "need" a shotgun for 3 things:

1. gun games (3gn, clays)
    2. bird hunting
    3. HD

Honestly, the HD part is behind and Glock and a suppressed MK18, so it's not really a contender, but I like shotguns and would like to have an 18.5" something loaded with buck just in case. I don't care AT ALL about being competitive in gun games anymore. It's just about hanging out and having fun with friends. I don't need the 28" Benelli with the 12round tube. Don't care.

Bird hunting...I've been once. I also have a single shot NEF 12GA and a SXS .410 I can use for that. But, I did have a total blast the one time I went. It was part of a package where we did clays and birds and for clays and birds I'd like to have a longer choked VR barrel.

In my mind, what I want is a simple 18.5" 870 and then a 26" (or so) VR barrel with screw-in chokes. A fixed Mod wouldn't be the end of the world either, but with chokes I could make it work better for Turkey (if I ever do that).

I know the rules say it needs to be either an older Wingmaster with some upgrades or a Police model. But honestly, for the roles I described does it really matter? Can I not just pick up the first used Express Tactical I come across for $200, buy a spare longer barrel and just move on? Some of the most enjoyable shotgunning I've done was messing with a buddy's Norinco 870 clone with 18.5" barrel and pedestal/bead sight on the sporting clays range. Looking to keep it light and handy, not all tac'd out.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

If you are not hunting waterfowl, you can skip the three-inch chamber and look for guns whose serial numbers end in "V" (three-inch serial numbers end in "M"). Those old guns also tend to come with fixed-choked barrels and can be had (at least until the COVID-19 panic) in Wingmaster trim for under $300. If you find one with a Poly Choke, it may be under $250. I rather have an older Wingmaster with a Poly Choke than any Express as I prefer the machining, fit, and finish of the older guns.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with an older Express, one where the barrel ring is brazed onto the barrel. Older Express models with the original barrel detent are better than ones with the newer barrel nut securing system. They are a bit rough (both finish and the lack of action honing) but functional. The older guns that I like lack the Flexi-tab mods that allow one to clear a jam caused by a short stroke. For HD, the Flexi-tab parts are crucial; for gun games, they are not so important. The newer polymer trigger plate is also better than the older aluminum trigger plate. The parts (trigger plate assembly with the slotted carrier, bolt carrier, and bolt) can be swapped between models if you have both. So the newer guns have some positives. Any barre will interchange with the exception of the Special Field models because the barrel ring is located differently.

My money goes for the older guns, and my trap gun is an 870 Classic Trap (which is a newer gun with the stupid J-lock safety) with an aftermarket stock. So I am not too dogmatic about the newer guns.
    Last edited by farscott; 04-29-2020 at 04:25 PM.

Site Supporter
    Might want to look for a "Special Purpose Magnum" on GunBroker. I bought my first one new in 1990 and picked up a duplicate a couple of years ago. 26" vent rib barrel with RemChoke. Mine was over $300 but later I saw one for much cheaper. However, the price on used 870s has gone up a bit lately. I have those two and two 870P. I'm no expert, but they all seem pretty equivalent to me. I'd like an older Wingmaster some day.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Might want to look for a "Special Purpose Magnum" on GunBroker. I bought my first one new in 1990 and picked up a duplicate a couple of years ago. 26" vent rib barrel with RemChoke. Mine was over $300 but later I saw one for much cheaper. However, the price on used 870s has gone up a bit lately. I have those two and two 870P. I'm no expert, but they all seem pretty equivalent to me. I'd like an older Wingmaster some day.

The older "Special Purpose Magnum" guns actually came with oil-finished wood and a Parkerized finish; in some ways, they were the predecessor of the Express models as the wood and metal required less labor. My slug deer gun is one of the early 870 SPS guns, and it is nothing more or nothing less than a plainly finished Wingmaster.

And, yes, I have a lot of 870 guns in the safe. There was a time when I bought every Wingmaster that cost less than $300, regardless of gauge and barrel length/choke. I am down to nine right now, all in 12-gauge.
    Last edited by farscott; 04-29-2020 at 04:57 PM.

I used to spend time on one of the big shotgun boards. The 870 Express had a reputation for rough chambers that would cause extraction problems, especially with inexpensive steel-headed shells. The fix seemed to be a home polishing job using something like a bore brush wrapped with steel wool chucked in a drill.

Site Supporter
    I have an Express I bought around 2000. I've used it for clay games, small game, and turkey hunting. A few years ago I set it up for HD with Magpul furniture and an 18" rifle-sighted barrel. In its original form it never failed on me, no parts broke, nothing. I never experienced extraction problems. When it became a HD gun, I went through and replaced all the "questionable" parts with SME-approved "good parts". It had gone through two of Tim Chandler's shotgun classes.

It eats everything, extracts and ejects fine, and patterns tight with Federal Flite Control 8 Pellet 00 buck.

I have no complaints.

This is that gun with a different light, side-saddle, and barrel. Everything else is on that gun today.

Name:  gauge.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  23.0 KB

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The older "Special Purpose Magnum" guns actually came with oil-finished wood and a Parkerized finish; in some ways, they were the predecessor of the Express models as the wood and metal required less labor. My slug deer gun is one of the early 870 SPS guns, and it is nothing more or nothing less than a plainly finished Wingmaster.

And, yes, I have a lot of 870 guns in the safe. There was a time when I bought every Wingmaster that cost less than $300, regardless of gauge and barrel length/choke. I am down to nine right now, all in 12-gauge.
    Yes. I was really aggravated the first time I saw an express because the oil finished oak stock and rough blued metal looked too much like my oil finished American walnut and parkerized metal! I do love that SP I bought in 1990. If I ever had to reduce to just one long gun, that'd be the one I'd keep.

I own and have owned a number of 870 Express guns, and I have never had a problem with any of them. I have used them for hunting as well as classes and duty use. I have a vintage 20" Wingmaster as well. I will point out that my Scattergun Technologies gun is built on an 870 Express, so there is that.

Just make sure your gun works. For bird hunting these days I use either a Benelli SBE2 or my Beretta Silver Pigeon II in 20 ga.

OP, in the end it will either work or it won't. I would go for it even though for the versatility you want, I think the Mossberg 500 is a better deal. You can get the combo with 28" and 18.5" barrel. They even include a pistol grip if that's your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I have an Express I bought around 2000.

Chris
    My Express is from around the same period. No issues (thus far).
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List