Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Universal Thread on the P320 - Variants, Safeties, Grip Modules, Etc.

Universal Thread on the P320 - Variants, Safeties, Grip Modules, Etc.

I've spent the last day or so pouring through searches and we have about 80 threads on the P320 and none of them answer my questions. Sig isn't particularly helpful, because they constantly make changes and move things around. I figured it's time for a universal thread that stores these data:

1) What are the Fire Control Unit variants available for the P320?

2) What are the grip module sizes available for the FCU variants?

3) What are the slide and barrel lengths available?

___

As near as I can tell

1) There are two main FCUs - the non-manual safety version and the manual-safety version

2) There are grip modules that vary in grip size and dust-cover length.

"Carry" length is the shorter dustcover and comes in small, medium, and large grip sizes
    "Full Size" length is the longer dust cover and comes in small, medium, and large grip sizes

What are the differences if any between the X-series grips? It appears the X-Five is even larger than a Full-Size? - It appears to just be the ability to add a magwell and grip weight?

3) Barrel and Slide Lengths - Appears to basically be "carry" length, which in 9mm is 3.9" and "full-size" in 9mm is 4.7", and "X-Five" in 9mm is 5" - Is this correct?

___

General question - does the manual safety simply block the trigger or does it lock/block the striker?

There’s also pre and post “voluntary recall” FCUs and slides. These are not interchangeable.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    There’s also pre and post “voluntary recall” FCUs and slides. These are not interchangeable.
    JFC.

-There are four FCUs: "standard" and "large" with and without safety. The standards are for 9mm, 40, .357 Sig and .380; the "large" are for .45 ACP. They don't mix together - you can't run .45 on a "standard" FCU, nor any "standard" caliber on a .45 FCU.
    -Grip modules come in three lengths - Full Size, Compact, and Subcompact. It APPEARS the SC model is no longer being sold - probably to avoid sales conflicts with the P365. The FS and C grips come in Small, Medium, and Large "widths" for lack of a better term. Not sure if the SC grips are available in different widths, but they were available with/without rails. NOT ALL of the grip modules come from the factory with the safety cut.
    -The X-series grip modules come in Medium width only, in "Carry" size (full length grip, Compact length dust cover) and "Compact" size (Compact grip length and SC dust cover).
    -You can "upsize" the slides, typically - so a FS slide will work on a Compact grip module, a Compact will work on a SC grip module. There may or may not be a gap at the front of the dust cover if you do this - because Sig.
    -Full size slides hold a 4.7" barrel; Compact slides hold a 3.9" barrel; SC slides hold a 3.6" barrel
    -In the X SERIES ONLY the "Compact" features a Compact grip with a SUBCOMPACT slide/barrel

Of course, the date time stamp on this is RIGHT NOW, all of the above may (and almost certainly will) change as Sig continues it's "evolutionary" rolling production changes.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    JFC.
    Ya. Keeping track of all the non-compatible variations is an even bigger turnoff for me than Sig's conduct. I've got an early gen, "upgraded" 320RX (and like it well enough) because it's the easiest, most cost-effective way to play with a red dot on a pistol but I don't see myself expanding the stable at this point.
    Last edited by MK11; 04-29-2020 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    Ya. Keeping track of all the non-compatible variations is an even bigger turnoff for me than Sig's conduct. I've got an early gen, "upgraded" 320RX (and like it well enough) because it's the easiest, most cost-effective way to play with a red dot on a pistol but I don't see myself expanding the stable at this point.
    I'll just pick up the latest gen if I get one.

___

So - can one add a thumb safety to the X-Five grip module? Basically thinking a production gun that sort of mimics my 2011. Seems like it just takes a Dremel and having a safety-equipped FCU?

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I'll just pick up the latest gen if I get one.

___

So - can one add a thumb safety to the X-Five grip module? Basically thinking a production gun that sort of mimics my 2011. Seems like it just takes a Dremel and having a safety-equipped FCU?
    Basically, yes.

And @psalms144.1....they make the X Grip in a 'small' width now. It's on the Sigstore website now. Don't worry. Wait a couple of days. Something else will change.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    -There are four FCUs: "standard" and "large" with and without safety. The standards are for 9mm, 40, .357 Sig and .380; the "large" are for .45 ACP. They don't mix together - you can't run .45 on a "standard" FCU, nor any "standard" caliber on a .45 FCU.
    -Grip modules come in three lengths - Full Size, Compact, and Subcompact. It APPEARS the SC model is no longer being sold - probably to avoid sales conflicts with the P365. The FS and C grips come in Small, Medium, and Large "widths" for lack of a better term. Not sure if the SC grips are available in different widths, but they were available with/without rails. NOT ALL of the grip modules come from the factory with the safety cut.
    -The X-series grip modules come in Medium width only, in "Carry" size (full length grip, Compact length dust cover) and "Compact" size (Compact grip length and SC dust cover).
    -You can "upsize" the slides, typically - so a FS slide will work on a Compact grip module, a Compact will work on a SC grip module. There may or may not be a gap at the front of the dust cover if you do this - because Sig.
    -Full size slides hold a 4.7" barrel; Compact slides hold a 3.9" barrel; SC slides hold a 3.6" barrel
    -In the X SERIES ONLY the "Compact" features a Compact grip with a SUBCOMPACT slide/barrel

Of course, the date time stamp on this is RIGHT NOW, all of the above may (and almost certainly will) change as Sig continues it's "evolutionary" rolling production changes.
    Almost.

Grip modules come in four lengths, Full size, Carry, Compact, Sub Compact.

You can both “up size” and “downsize” for example you can run a FS or carry grip with a C or SC slide and a Comp to match the length of the dust cover.

This is before you get into SIG’s multiple optics footprints and Optics cuts. So many that they have a chart for SIG LE dealers to figure out what fits what.

Wait there are multiple optics cuts from Sig? I thought they were all DPP or plate?

Jumpin’ Jesus this more confusing than HK Variants.

Site Supporter
    Wait there are multiple optics cuts from Sig? I thought they were all DPP or plate?

Jumpin’ Jesus this more confusing than HK Variants.
    Yes.

1) Original Romeo footprint on the original RX pistols and early X5s and X Carry.

2) DPP /Romeo1 which are supposed to be the same footprint. Started with the M17 per MHS requirements.

Early X Carry and X5s had the original Romeo cut. Later / current ones have the DPP/Romeo1 cut.

Now they have the RXP cut which apparently will accommodate both DPP and RMR. Likely developed to compete for the CBP contract.

That is before you get into the optic variants.

User Tag List