Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glock 45 gen 5 9mm and tlr-7a

glock 45 gen 5 9mm and tlr-7a

Hi guys, I have a question. I recently purchased a glock model 45 gen 5 in 9mm and tlr-7a to go with it. is it possible to over tighten this light to the point of damaging the frame on the glock?

How tight do you want it?

Tighten by hand, check to see if light moves (probably will). Take a nickel, and use that to turn the screw a little more. Personally, when I start to feel noticeable resistance, I check to see if there is any wobble. Once it is solid, I’m done tightening.

Can you damage the frame? Maybe... but I also think you are going to damage the light first (strip out something).

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSpear View Post
    Hi guys, I have a question. I recently purchased a glock model 45 gen 5 in 9mm and tlr-7a to go with it. is it possible to over tighten this light to the point of damaging the frame on the glock?
    Most definitely

Do you have the right adapter on — I think Gen 5 is pic not universal?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    GJM is correct-the rail on the Gen5s is Picatinny sized. I found this out by accident on a 19X. I shot several hundred rounds with a TLR7 mounted-no damage. One should have the proper crossbar on the light, though.
    And just tighten “finger tight”...

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    How tight do you want it?

Tighten by hand, check to see if light moves (probably will). Take a nickel, and use that to turn the screw a little more. Personally, when I start to feel noticeable resistance, I check to see if there is any wobble. Once it is solid, I’m done tightening.

Can you damage the frame? Maybe... but I also think you are going to damage the light first (strip out something).
    hey screwball, thanks for the reply. i didnt want it crazy tight, just enough to not notice any movement in the light itself. i initially used a mini flathead to tightened it because i have huge gorilla fingers, if anything had to be damaged i would prefer it be the light and not the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    hi GJM, thanks for the reply, i have the 1913-1 on there, which is the one the little booklet says to use for the gen 5s

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    GJM is correct-the rail on the Gen5s is Picatinny sized. I found this out by accident on a 19X. I shot several hundred rounds with a TLR7 mounted-no damage. One should have the proper crossbar on the light, though.
    And just tighten “finger tight”...
    hi rangemaster, thanks for the reply..........hmmm, thats what i was concerned about, since i have hands like a silver back gorilla, that little piece that tightens was too small for me to get a good enough hold on to even turn to tighten, so i used a mini flat head. when i look at the frame though i dont see any visible damage that my naked eye can see, so im hoping im ok.

Site Supporter
    After you get it put back finger tight, get some fingernail polish or a paint marker and mark the position so you can tell if it comes loose at a glance.

https://www.full30.com/watch/MzYz/qu...-witness-marks

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSpear View Post
    hi rangemaster, thanks for the reply..........hmmm, thats what i was concerned about, since i have hands like a silver back gorilla, that little piece that tightens was too small for me to get a good enough hold on to even turn to tighten, so i used a mini flat head. when i look at the frame though i dont see any visible damage that my naked eye can see, so im hoping im ok.
    Hello Shadow-I think I used a dime or penny. I turned until snug; if you see nothing obvious, I would shoot a mag through the gun to confirm the light will stay on the gun and function not affected. Good suggestion by vcd to witness mark the screwhead. I have only shot a 100 or so rounds(damn Chinese virus) but no issues. Drive on after test fire.
    (And good for you for reading the directions!)

User Tag List