Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for GJM & others CZ 527?

Question for GJM & others CZ 527?

I've seen GJM & few others comment very favorably on the CZ 527 especially with Red Dot, or I assume a LPV, including running them through some classes at Gunsite.

I understand they won't compete directly with AR or AK, but looking for more details on how they compare to 308 Scouts, I've owned a Steyr Scout, as well as leverguns or other bolt rifles.

Think I've seen Tam mention years ago on her blog or elsewhere that CZ mags are one of their weak links but don't recall the details of that.

My understanding is only 5 round mags are available and they run ~$45/mag.

I've handled a couple of CZ 527's but have never shot them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    I've seen GJM & few others comment very favorably on the CZ 527 especially with Red Dot, or I assume a LPV, including running them through some classes at Gunsite.

I understand they won't compete directly with AR or AK, but looking for more details on how they compare to 308 Scouts, I've owned a Steyr Scout, as well as leverguns or other bolt rifles.

Think I've seen Tam mention years ago on her blog or elsewhere that CZ mags are one of their weak links but don't recall the details of that.

My understanding is only 5 round mags are available and they run ~$45/mag.

I've handled a couple of CZ 527's but have never shot them.
    I's a nice, handy little carbine. Think of a bolt gun, more optics friendly version of a 30-30 carbine.

I've had one in 7.62x39 for about 12 years with a Nikon 2-7. Mags are more like $55/mag but they work.

7.62x39 ballistics are similar to 30-30 and 300 blackout Super sonic ammo. i.e. hits hard enough to take out a deer. 300 yards max, 200 would be better. Accuracy is good, commensurate with the quality of ammo you feed it. Mine favors Hornady brass cased ammo.

Like a Scout, it's a hunting/woods/ranch gun that you could fight with in a pinch given the usual caveats that manually operated rifles are obsolete as fighting tools.

If I were buying one now I would likely get the threaded barrel version in 300 blackout.

I have one in 7.62x39 and another in 6.5 Grendel. Handy, accurate, good bolt throw, and an option in a restricted locale.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The 527 in 7.62X39 pretty much replaced .30-30 lever guns for me. Just as handy, faster, more accurate, dependable mags, single-set trigger. The only thing I don’t like is the backwards safety; with all of the 527’s I’ve shot, never found one with a safety that operated smoothly.

Name:  3EA5F99F-5273-4AF6-92AE-42882A7FA6D7.jpg
Views: 1430
Size:  93.3 KB

Name:  AF99F854-9FA8-4EA3-ADDC-E8563C54F8DF.jpg
Views: 2525
Size:  92.2 KB

I've got a CZ 527 Carbine is 7.62x39; it's a superb little rifle. I use mine with it's open OEM iron sights as a brush gun, or as an incliment weather back-up to my scoped .308 CZ 550. I did need to drift my rear sight to get to POA/POI zero; in my case I needed to drift to the right, as it was shooting to the left.

As others have mentioned, ballistically it's very similar to 30-30; a good deer. boar or similar game getter for about to 200-250 meters

I also makes a great brush gun or scout rifle. While the only magazines are the 5 round ones, they're well made. I carry 2 back-up magazines in a buttstock Strike Hard Gear Mosin Nagant Buttstock Pouch; it perfectly holds 2 of the CZ 527 magazines; https://www.strikehardgear.com/mosin...ttstock-pouch/ I had my local shoe repairman sew some heavy felt backing on it so the grommets for the lace wouldn't mar the wood stock.

If I was to scope it, I'd use Warne QR quick release rings; that way the scope can be zeroed and used, or quickly taken off-but the zero is held when it's put back on; that's the set-up I've got for the Leupold 3X9 scope on my CZ 550, and it really does hold zero when taken off and put back on.

For a sling, I prefer a Safari Systems Boonie Packer; https://www.redi-mag.com/product/safari-sling/

For hunting, I'll use Hornady Black 123gr SST brass-cased; for all other uses, Wolf Polycoat steel-cased 123 gr I've found to be excellent; even Tula 123 gr steel-cased is decent out of the CZ.

It's simply a handy, accurate tough and reliable rifle. It's non-military appearance can be an advantage in some situations. It's one of those low-profile, somewhat hidden gems of a rifle; I highly recommend it.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-29-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Image Of CZ 527 Carbine

My CZ 527 Carbine, in 7.62x39, with its Safari Sling and Strike Hard Gear dual buttstock magazine pouch

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have one in 7.62x39 and another in 6.5 Grendel. Handy, accurate, good bolt throw, and an option in a restricted locale.
    One of the Grendels is really appealing to me. Which do you prefer?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

1) What are you guys seeing for accuracy with 7.62x39? I see lots of "good", not much to put it into perspective though.

Asking mostly because of most x39 being shit. @JonInWA, specifically interested in the SST.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    One of the Grendels is really appealing to me. Which do you prefer?
    The x39 is inexpensive to shoot, where the Grendel is very accurate and capable as a hunting rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    1) What are you guys seeing for accuracy with 7.62x39? I see lots of "good", not much to put it into perspective though.

Asking mostly because of most x39 being shit. @JonInWA, specifically interested in the SST.
    Not sure now, but at one point there was an issue with the CZ and chamber spec — it was cut to shoot well with surplus or commercial x39 ammo, but not both.

SteveB’s rifle was originally built by Brockman for me, and I took it to a Randy Cain class, Gunsite Whittington reunion and other events. Col Cooper was not impressed by the caliber.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Wolf makes steel case 6.5 Grendel ammo. It’s ok.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List