Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reverse Edge go to

I'm glad to note that there are a lot more reverse edge makers out there than their used to be, but nearly all of them are custom order.

Shivworks China-Pick and the Spyderco P'kal are the only reverse edge optimized blades I'm aware of that are production.

___

In terms of custom - Well I just tore through my Instagram follow list:

Ban Tang
    Joe Watson (who is retiring from knifemaking, so probably out of the running at this point)
    Tom Halloran
    JB Knife and Tool
    Dirk Pinkerton
    GMoffatt Knives
    Kramer Custom Knives
    Iron Side Edge Works
    Tony Lopes Blades
    Karambit Maker
    Ken Brock (Brock Blades)
    Sosby Blades
    Trin Blades
    Red Meat Steel
    Shuhari Knife and Steel
    Kopis Designs
    Martel Blades
    Echo.Delta.Charlie Knives
    BGM Knives & Metal Works

___

I'm sure I missed someone - but that's the list from my IG Follow of makers who have or do build pikal/reverse-edge knives.

Add:
    Variant One
    Paul Moore
    Spyderco -- The Reverse, with a reduced grip is one of my favorites. Unfortunately, it is no longer available.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Add:
    Spyderco -- The Reverse, with a reduced grip is one of my favorites. Unfortunately, it is no longer available.
    Someone with more clout than me cough* @SouthNarc *cough - should convince Spyderco to do a Sprint Run of Reverses, with short scales in S30V or S35V coated in DLC.

250 or 500 of those would probably sell out in a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Someone with more clout than me cough* @SouthNarc *cough - should convince Spyderco to do a Sprint Run of Reverses, with short scales in S30V or S35V coated in DLC.

250 or 500 of those would probably sell out in a couple of days.
    Yes! And/or Joe Watson licenses his Pikal and CT-P designs to Spyderco.

Someone will probably have to pay them up front to do a run. So it's going to require a cash outlay and might need to be secured by pre-orders if it was a design they found feasible.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Grayman Knives, Dinka Variation, Mini Dinka Variation are useful for reverse edge. Very solid knives but not light.

Laci Szabo's Omani is bigger but should work if you do not need a small knife.

Reverse Edge go to

Keen Edge TSD Reverse Cut P25 Trainer

From where I stand;

Shivworks' Clinch Pick is the go-to for first explorations of the concept, affordable and high-function as a carried knife, and it is eminently replaceable as needed on account of loss\theft\evidence-room\usage. I look forward to the production Disciples.

I own a more than small number of pikals\reverse-edged-knives, surprising even myself as I pack up the workshop. Some I own as elements of history, for curiosity, or to better understand the concept; a few, I own because they demonstrate tremendous worksmanship on the part of the maker, and I am very appreciative of such elements. I would not recommend ownership of a great many of them to others for any reason other than general collectorship; and certainly would not recommend carrying most of them for reasons generally related to excessive size, poor striking characteristics, or being generally non-competitive with the flagship options.

Joe Watson's pikals showcase some really nuanced design work that has changed first dramatically and then subtly across the years; I recommend these strongly. A titanium example of his original pikal pattern remains my tuxedo-knife of choice, for such times as there is froth and ceremony. He has made them in titanium and steel across the years; he has his original pikal pattern that once had matching blunt trainers, the follow-on pikal pattern in both single- and double-edged, the pikal variation of the CT short-knife (CT-P) originally in single- and occassionally in double-edged variations, and many custom variations of the theme along the way. I've got... a lot of these. They are excellent gifts, especially with custom sheaths, for friends and peers in the space when they get married; a friend moved far away got one of the customs that dropped a year or few ago, in advance of his first child's birth.

Ban Tang's pikals have had a pretty broad range of geometry across the years, and he's been making them for longer than almost anyone else that is still in the knife-making game to my knowledge: all of them depict a tremendous investment and appreciation of the craft. I'd still love to pick up some of his early pattern pikals for the nonce and to follow his designwork over time. His SAF Pikal is a bit larger than I'd carry for work or personal time, but I have a single-edged iteration of his otherwise always-DE present pikal template; and I very much intend to commission a similar such example of his Disciple.

DE pikals usually showcase incredible worksmanship - usually even more so than the SE iterations do. However, for me the SE particulars are preeminent for carry, access, and usage.

I like the Spyderco P'kal quite a bit and expect to be getting quite some miles out of mine in the near future. I look forward to the forthcoming Kizer Inversion and Emerson Knives' Elvia folder; but don't expect them to exceed the P'kal in my esteem.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Name:  20200627_194817.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  55.0 KBName:  20200627_194845.jpg
Views: 1329
Size:  50.2 KBName:  20200627_194940.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  31.5 KBName:  20200627_194919.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  33.0 KB
    Jules
    Runcible Works

@runcible, that custom folder is one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen.

User Tag List