Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for 20 gauge suggetions

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post

Based on the prior posts, I will suggest he get some Federal #3 buck.
    As others note, 2 3/4" #3 buck is the right answer to this particular question. I have a stash of the old Remington version—not because it’s the tactical hotness, but because I still own a couple of 20 gauge bird guns from my youth.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Use what you can find. Learning to operate the shotgun correctly is more important than load or choke, but if the barrel has choke tubes, install an improved cylinder or modified tube. You will not locate enough ammo to pattern loads.

Two pieces of critical advice: Clean chamber with 000 steel wool wrapped around a bristle brush. Then emphasize moving the slide or pump with speed and force. Slam it all the way back. Then slam it all the way forward. Moving it slowly is not slamming. Note the part about "all the way".

For some, slamming(my term)is counterintuitive. They may think that the 870 is fragile. They may think that it is a precise instrument. It is neither fragile nor precise. Babying it when operating the slide action can result in malfunction. When its cousin the 1100 is fired, the gas operated mechanism slams the action bars back and forth with more force than does the 870 user.

I am a life long 870 user. I shoot the gun with finesse. If operating a security 870 with buckshot in a defense situation, I would forego finesse and slam the hell out of it.
    I don't mean this to be unduly harsh, and appreciate that you are trying to help, I guess, but did you actually read my original question or later comments?

I mean, why do you think I am looking for advice on how to run an 870 or that the guy I am trying to help is looking for such advice? It doesn't really matter, but I have used shotguns since the 70's and although first "trained" on an Ithaca 37, I began using the 870 for non-sporting purposes many, many years ago. Shotguns are increasingly uncommon in my line of work, except for firing less-lethal rounds, but I still have a few. They have been largely supplanted by rifles in my world, but I still like them. I can't say I have ever used an 870 with finesse, despite having one with me every work day for quite a few years.

I just don't know much about 20 gauge loads and that was really all I was asking.

I did a quick search and 2 and 3 buck are available. I'd get some 5/8oz Win slugs as well, let him shoot them all, and he can pick what is most comfortable for him to shoot.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

To the OP: I will second Revolver Rob's recommendation. The Federal 2 3/4 inch #3 load is the top choice for a reasonably recoiling 20 gauge load in a light shotgun.

Long ago I went down the rabbit hole of the light kicking yet still effective 20 gauge buckshot load. Unless you have a really heavy (and preferably gas operated) shotgun it really is a bit of a non-starter for anything but the 2 3/4 shells.

The limitation of the 2 3/4 shell is effective range. The smaller pellets lose penetration badly beyond 10 or maybe 15 yards.

Patterns are a function of choke selection and plated/buffered pellets for all the loads.

In a typically sub 7 pound gun, the 3 inch loads kick more than most 12 gauges. Combine this with the superb selections available in low recoil 12 gauge shells and the whole point of a 20 gauge is lost. Of course, if a 20 is what you have then that's what you use.

I must admit the Spartan 9 pellet #1 buckshot load is appealing but I haven't really looked at it too much. I would appreciate any insights from users of this. Particularly regarding quality and patterns. Maybe it's time to chase that particular rabbit again.

If it helps the user's morale, the 2 3/4 #3 load is a duplicate of the M-79 grenade launcher buckshot load of the Vietnam era.
    My apologies to weasels.

Looking for 20 gauge suggetions

Yeah, well, okay.

But FWIW, this is my wife's fairly elderly uncle. He has a 20 gauge shotgun. He knows what I do and my interests so he reached out to me for advice about what he should put in his gun for home protection. I am not going to send him links or tell him to research or to get a different gun or get training or whatever, and I really don't know much about the "capabilities" of a 20 gauge. I figured someone here would have good information on this and I would get some suggestions and pass it or them along. I have no idea if the guy will even go buy what I suggest to him...he may well just use whatever bird shot or whatever he has already, but I will have done what I was asked.

Based on the prior posts, I will suggest he get some Federal #3 buck.
    Right on. I think there were some great responses to your original question. I was making a friendly joke about the other good (but beyond the scope) advise being added. Great info either way. It’s pretty cool you are helping out the old man. I’m sure he will appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gearqueer; 05-02-2020 at 10:16 AM.

Site Supporter
    I don't mean this to be unduly harsh, and appreciate that you are trying to help, I guess, but did you actually read my original question or later comments?

I mean, why do you think I am looking for advice on how to run an 870 or that the guy I am trying to help is looking for such advice? It doesn't really matter, but I have used shotguns since the 70's and although first "trained" on an Ithaca 37, I began using the 870 for non-sporting purposes many, many years ago. Shotguns are increasingly uncommon in my line of work, except for firing less-lethal rounds, but I still have a few. They have been largely supplanted by rifles in my world, but I still like them. I can't say I have ever used an 870 with finesse, despite having one with me every work day for quite a few years.

I just don't know much about 20 gauge loads and that was really all I was asking.
    My error in responding was that I made an assumption. I assumed that if you had to ask the question that you may not be informed on using shotguns for self defense, and I assumed that your friend was even less informed. I did do you the favor of not explaining that so called short shucking errors are really not short shucking but reflect a design error, and I spared you my describing reasons why in 870's the 20 gauge guns are less reliable than 12 gauge versions. Further, I was surprised that you did not search the question on the forum, because if you had done so, you would have found the very answers you asked. But I am an expert because I attended a chicken shit state training program a million years ago. I failed to detect that you also are an expert. Internet forums have many experts.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    My error in responding was that I made an assumption. I assumed that if you had to ask the question that you may not be informed on using shotguns for self defense, and I assumed that your friend was even less informed. I did do you the favor of not explaining that so called short shucking errors are really not short shucking but reflect a design error, and I spared you my describing reasons why in 870's the 20 gauge guns are less reliable than 12 gauge versions. Further, I was surprised that you did not search the question on the forum, because if you had done so, you would have found the very answers you asked. But I am an expert because I attended a chicken shit state training program a million years ago. I failed to detect that you also are an expert. Internet forums have many experts.
    1. I did do a search and from the thread titles I saw, nothing describing this. Perhaps I missed the thread. or perhaps the question/answer was buried in a thread with a different subject line. It was a simple question to which I was sure some folks would have the knowledge to share. Luckily, they did and I got the advice I was looking for.

2. I did not claim to be an expert. I simply tried to point out that I was pretty familiar with using the 870 and tried to explain that I wasn't asking for advice on running the gun. Sometimes, I get annoyed at people on the internet that don't read a question before posting, or simply choose to ignore the question and make comments unrelated to the topic of the conversation they barge into. Not that you necessarily were doing that.

3. I am sorry that your shotgun training was "chicken shit," I hope you can someday find better training on the guns, and enjoy that more.

3. Sensing derision and sarcasm in your last post, I was tempted to tell you to go and short shuck yourself, but taking the high road here, I accept your explanation that you jumped to an unfounded conclusion and I want to thank you for your attempt to educate me and for sharing your expertise and knowledge on the 870 and I hope you are safe and well in these difficult times.

Perhaps in the future I will need some help with an 870 and I hope you are available to give advice if that time comes.

Another 20 Ga buckshot load worth trying is the Rio #1 buck. It does well in my 20 Ga Ithaca Deerslayer.
    As previously mentioned, finding 20 Ga loads that pattern like Flite Control 12 Ga is going to be hard. A lot of development money has been spent on 12 Ga buckshot loads, 20 Ga not so much. Sadly, with all the low recoil 12 Ga buck around, the 20 Ga buck has become a red headed stepchild. I doubt we’ll see much improvement anytime soon.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Another 20 Ga buckshot load worth trying is the Rio #1 buck. It does well in my 20 Ga Ithaca Deerslayer.
    As previously mentioned, finding 20 Ga loads that pattern like Flite Control 12 Ga is going to be hard. A lot of development money has been spent on 12 Ga buckshot loads, 20 Ga not so much. Sadly, with all the low recoil 12 Ga buck around, the 20 Ga buck has become a red headed stepchild. I doubt we’ll see much improvement anytime soon.
    Yes, I agree. I never felt any need for a 20 gauge myself. It seemed to me that light 12 gauge loads could do anything a 20 could for birds. When the reduced recoil buck and slug stuff came out for non-sporting purposes, I was grateful and I guess made the 20 gauge even less relevant, and when I went to a gas auto 12 gauge for my personal use, that helped even more, which I really appreciated after I went through shoulder surgery. When camping in Wyoming or Montana I still usually have a shotgun handy, but now, for most non-sporting purposes, the shotgun has been largely replaced by 5.56 rifles. I have mixed feelings about that but my shoulder is happy that it is typically a rifle in the rack and not a 12 gauge.

User Tag List