Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BCG discussion

FWIW Toolcraft makes carriers for the military. Not sure if they make the bolts or not.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    FWIW Toolcraft makes carriers for the military. Not sure if they make the bolts or not.
    They don't, but they are also warranted.

Toolcraft, like Microbest, is an OEM supplier. They make what they make and then source from other OEM suppliers to finish the assembly. Just like most do.

Folks don't seem to understand this, IDK who makes DCM or Sionics components, some of them, no doubt, are made in house, but other parts, probably most, are sourced.

Why would you spend money re-inventing the wheel when there are companies that specialize in make the items you need?

Site Supporter
    Search Instructor Chad on YouTube.
    He runs the School of the American Rifle.

He diagnoses BCG, lowers, etc.
    I enjoy the videos but after going over about 10 different BCGs, it can get boring.

I'd also suggest Sionics, or Forward Control Designs which is an "improved" Sionics BCG.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Phosphate/Parkerizing may have advantages for a bolt carrier. The phosphate is basically a "sponge" grown on the surface of the metal, which does an excellent job absorbing and retaining oil. That provides both corrosion protection and excellent lubricity. It can wear away, but is also easily and relatively inexpensively restored. It may provide some advantage in extending lubrication intervals, but most users these days seem to run them wetter than in the past.

I haven't run enough rounds through different configurations to know what the long-term win is on that versus the hardness of nitride and the tradeoff of wearing the inside of the UR vs. the bolt carrier.

@Aray, come educate us if you can talk about phosphate and lubrication more intelligently than I.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    BCM has my vote from first hand experience - there are six rifles in my family no issues. Colt is also very well regarded.

Instructor Chad does do good BCG physicals - it’s somehow incredibly relaxing.

There’s others that are quality, but I can’t personally vouch for them with never handling them or using them.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I was looking at my unknown BCG and debating if I should should start thinking about a replacement...
    Install a Colt or Sprinco extractor spring (no O-ring) and shoot the hell out of it. Have a spare BCG waiting in the wings. Install a Colt or Sprinco extractor spring (no O-ring) and make sure the bolt is Carpenter 158, properly heat treated and shot peened.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    make sure the bolt is Carpenter 158, properly heat treated and shot peened.
    The problem is, in 2020, that’s almost harder to discern than it was 10 year ago. Now with so many more commercially-available options and many of them offering supposed “milspec” versions plus various unicorn-jizz coatings, alternate metallurgy, various extractor redesigns, etc. all claiming “better” it seems harder and harder to just buy a known-good BCG.

Which is why I’d still just go “standard” BCM or Colt. Only way to know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The problem is, in 2020, that’s almost harder to discern than it was 10 year ago. Now with so many more commercially-available options and many of them offering supposed “milspec” versions plus various unicorn-jizz coatings, alternate metallurgy, various extractor redesigns, etc. all claiming “better” it seems harder and harder to just buy a known-good BCG.

Which is why I’d still just go “standard” BCM or Colt. Only way to know for sure.
    Very true and excellent advice.

PS- In my previous post, I should have said "In your spare BCG, install a Colt or Sprinco extractor spring (no O-ring) and make sure the bolt is Carpenter 158, properly heat treated and shot peened."
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Going through my box o’ stuff this afternoon I found one of these bolts I’d forgotten I’d picked up a while back.

According to the specs it’s 9310 instead of 158. I’m not a metallurgist so I don’t know the significant differences between the two. I’ll keep it as a spare but if I’m not running full auto, does it make a tinker’s damn that it’s not 158??
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List