Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Armor piercing ammo legality

Thanks I forgot about this and need to go pickup some Barnes then ASAP.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've had a little correspondence with Hornady CS about the Handgun Hunter line. Included confirmation that it's a copper-zinc alloy and ended with them essentially saying, "It's GTG with relevant authorities." That's not an exact quote, just summarizing the message.

I can't find any definition of brass that doesn't capture "gilding metal" at 95 Cu/ 5 Zn, which leaves an approved exemption as the only way I can figure out for the stuff to be legal:

https://atf-eregs.18f.gov/478-148/2019-24301#478-148

§ 478.148 Armor piercing ammunition intended for sporting or industrial purposes.
    The Director may exempt certain armor piercing ammunition from the requirements of this part. A person who desires to obtain an exemption under this section for any such ammunition which is primarily intended for sporting purposes or intended for industrial purposes, including charges used in oil and gas well perforating devices, shall submit a written request to the Director. Each request shall be executed under the penalties of perjury and contain a complete and accurate description of the ammunition, the name and address of the manufacturer or importer, the purpose of and use for which it is designed and intended, and any photographs, diagrams, or drawings as may be necessary to enable the Director to make a determination. The Director may require that a sample of the ammunition be submitted for examination and evaluation.
    Given that it's specifically engineered to expand for hunting, it does seem reasonable that a sporting purposes exemption could be obtained. Seems like approved exemptions should be public info, but I haven't been able to find where they are published. Any of our LEOs know? Federal Register would be an obvious spot to look. I'm reasonably familiar with searching that in my own field of expertise, but wouldn't know what to search for in this case.

I don't have any special inside knowledge here. I'm very much on the outside, looking in, and trying to make sense of what I can see.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I've had a little correspondence with Hornady CS about the Handgun Hunter line. Included confirmation that it's a copper-zinc alloy and ended with them essentially saying, "It's GTG with relevant authorities." That's not an exact quote, just summarizing the message.

I can't find any definition of brass that doesn't capture "gilding metal" at 95 Cu/ 5 Zn, which leaves an approved exemption as the only way I can figure out for the stuff to be legal:

https://atf-eregs.18f.gov/478-148/2019-24301#478-148

Given that it's specifically engineered to expand for hunting, it does seem reasonable that a sporting purposes exemption could be obtained. Seems like approved exemptions should be public info, but I haven't been able to find where they are published. Any of our LEOs know? Federal Register would be an obvious spot to look. I'm reasonably familiar with searching that in my own field of expertise, but wouldn't know what to search for in this case.

I don't have any special inside knowledge here. I'm very much on the outside, looking in, and trying to make sense of what I can see.
    If only we had a system that charged people for criminal behavior instead of possession of an item that has legitimate use by good people...

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    If only we had a system that charged people for criminal behavior instead of possession of an item that has legitimate use by good people...
    If only.

User Tag List