Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Magnifiers for use with an RDS

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    What is the eye relief difference between the 3xc and the 3xmag-1? I know the 3xmag-1 is supposed to be a little better, but how much? An inch?, half inch? Does it have more forgiveness to eye position than the 3x-C?. Also any noticeable difference in glass quality between the two? As I mentioned earlier, the 3xC just didn’t work for me because the eye relief was so short. I’ve got a Unity Fast micro and 3x mag mount on the way, so I’m continuing to re-explore this concept. I just hate the 3xmag-1 is over $400 more. With the fast mount, I can eliminate the flip up rear and mount the mag all the way to the rear. (I have to maintain iron sights because of my dept rifle qual).
    According to Aimpoint's website:
    3X-C: Eye relief: 56 mm (2.2 in)
    3XMag-1: Eye relief: 70 mm (2.8 in)

Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    According to Aimpoint's website:
    3X-C: Eye relief: 56 mm (2.2 in)
    3XMag-1: Eye relief: 70 mm (2.8 in)
    The 3XMag-1 is also physically .6 inches longer which can make a difference if you are trying to clear a traditional rear sight.

I have Aimpoint PROs on several rifles, and I have an Aimpoint 3x magnifier in a LaRue throw lever flip out mount. I just move it to whichever rifle I am using.

The hogs don't seem to appreciate it one bit; however, I am moving to a 1-8 on two rifles as I am wanting to push the range out more.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    The 3XMag-1 is also physically .6 inches longer which can make a difference if you are trying to clear a traditional rear sight.
    Ok that makes more sense. With the extra eye relief plus longer body, it’s more like 1.2” of additional eye relief. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I have Aimpoint PROs on several rifles, and I have an Aimpoint 3x magnifier in a LaRue throw lever flip out mount. I just move it to whichever rifle I am using.

The hogs don't seem to appreciate it one bit; however, I am moving to a 1-8 on two rifles as I am wanting to push the range out more.
    This is a great point and something to consider if you are comparing the price to the Kahles that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

The Kahles is great, and is actually what I had on my SBR before moving to the FAST Aimpoint + Mag combo. I have 2 rifles with Aimpoint in FAST mounts, so I can move the magnifier between them without having to re-zero anything.

The Kahles setup also doesn't weigh a lot more than the combo, but with the Aimpoint + Mag you can always remove the magnifier to save weight.

For my needs, I really prefer the Aimpoint + Magnifier combo on these particular rifles. I have another rifle with a Razor Gen 2 E 1-6 (which I actually prefer over the Kahles if you can stand the extra few ounces) and the Razor Gen 3 on order for another rifle.

I don't think you can really say one is better than the other universally, but they both have advantages and disadvantages so you just need to match it up with your needs.

About a month ago someone on reddit made a very nice chart comparing the eye relief, FOV, length, weight, etc other stats of the more common magnifiers out there:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ar15/commen..._nerd_here_is/

Unsurprisingly the magnifiers with the best FOV have the worst eye relief and the ones with the best eye relief have the worst FOV. Apparently even with tons of money you still can't defy the laws of physics.

Has anybody tried the new Trijicon HD MRO with magnifier HD magnifier?

https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/mro-c-2200057
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Here you go @rob_s. I know Eotech has released a 4x and 5x magnifier that don’t look very large at all. Anyone have experience with them?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Magnifiers for use with an RDS

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Here you go @rob_s. I know Eotech has released a 4x and 5x magnifier that don’t look very large at all. Anyone have experience with them?
    EOTech has 3x and 5x magnifiers. I don’t have experience with their newer stuff but I’ve been pleasantly surprised by my Vortex micro 3x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 07-13-2022 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Thanks for bumping this up - I’m looking at a 3x magnifier as an alternative to a LPVO on a 9” 300 BO, this is very useful.

I’ve become a bit of a SIG Electro-Optics slut due to features, exposure to them at the mothership and their warranty. I’ve been having very good luck with a pile of Romeo4Ts and I’d like to see if I can be happy with a magnifier on one. I’m looking at a SIG Juliet3 right now (not the Micro,) which I believe is in their professional quality series same as the 4T.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List