Thread: LFI: School me on K-frame holsters

RFI: School me on K-frame holsters

Looking to purchase a (probably Kramer) OWB holster for a 4" S&W 64 (DAO). I have plenty of experience with different holster designs for autos, but I've never had a serious holster for a revolver. Most likely use is range use, but I would want it to be reasonably concealable under a fleece vest/hoodie/flannel. Clearly, round guns are shaped and built differently than square guns, so I'm wondering if there are any obvious advantages to, say a vertical scabbard vs. a pancake style vs. tunnel and loop (Askins Avenger style)...? Cant vs. straight drop?

Thanks for any wisdom you can pass along!
    Last edited by dogcaller; 04-26-2020 at 06:30 PM.

Different holster types will be more comfortable on some body types than others. Tunnel-loop + one outboard loop seem to work better for many with smaller waist sizes, while larger waist sizes may do better with two outboard loops . This is with leather. I have generally liked tunnel-loop + one outboard loop, while finding two-outboard-loop holsters uncomfortable. I have had a relatively small waist size for most of my life, still able to fit into 32” VertX trousers, though finding 33” or 34” more comfortable to actually wear, with an inseam of 34”, along along. This is at about six feet tall, shrinking a bit with age.

Cant is going to be a factor of where the holster is worn. The farther back, the more that some degree of cant will be helpful, in the draw stroke.

Higher-waisted folks will find that cant might jam the rear sights and hammer into their ribs.

I like a Kramer Vertical Scabbard, worn a bit forward of the hip, for a straight-upward draw. This is the holster with one tunnel loop, and the outboard loop to the rear.

To wear just a bit farther forward, the cross-draw version of the Kramer Vertical Scabbard is nice. This is “appendix,” but outside the trousers. AOWB. This may require a bit more volume in the cover garment, for effective concealment.

For a holster worn at 0300/0330, just a bit of cant is nice, with the Milt Sparks PMK being a favorite. This, too, is one tunnel-loop + one outboard loop.

0400-0430 carry has never worked well for me. While highly-concealable, the weapon tends to jam itself into my ribs, and, having long arms and a short waist, the amount of articulation in the shoulder and elbow was clumsy while, I was younger, and started to hurt as I got older.

This is what works for me, with my body type. I am a sample of one; others’ preferences may vary.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Thx, Rex!

To me, service size revolver concealment means leather. I always preferred pancake style/thumb break/forward cant, from Don Hume. Good holsters at a reasonable price.

The Milt Sparks PMK is excellent. It rides a little lower than many strong-side revolver holsters.

My take on revolver holsters,
    Pancakes generally conceal a "little" better than avenger type.
    Avenger type uses up less belt space (speedloader space, if you carry them on the holster side). Speedloaders just in front of the holster are easiest to cover for me, pancakes eat that valuable space up with leather. Some pancakes hog belt space more than others tho.
    I'd rather draw from a straight up holster but forward cant makes it easier to conceal a 4" gun, for me, both barrel and grips.
    Avenger style are usually better/easier to reholster.

Another leather holster option is the Davis 3820 Concealer. It is a tunnel and loop design. I carried a 4" Mdl 66, and found easy hide under an untucked flannel shirt or sport coat.

Thanks, everyone for the great advice. I went ahead and ordered this today in black horsehidehttps://www.kramerleather.com/collec.../belt-scabbard. I missed the 20% off sale (ended Friday), but no one ever complains about their Kramer's price, once it is delivered. Now thinking about getting some gray and black VZ stocks and looking to see if I can find someone to beadblast it!

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    My take on revolver holsters,
    Pancakes generally conceal a "little" better than avenger type.
    Avenger type uses up less belt space (speedloader space, if you carry them on the holster side). Speedloaders just in front of the holster are easiest to cover for me, pancakes eat that valuable space up with leather. Some pancakes hog belt space more than others tho.
    One thing to note is that leather pancake style holsters tend to "flatten" when empty, making re-holstering a bit more tricky. Or at least that has been my and my girlfriends experience with pancake holsters we've used.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    One thing to note is that leather pancake style holsters tend to "flatten" when empty, making re-holstering a bit more tricky. Or at least that has been my and my girlfriends experience with pancake holsters we've used.
    Right, I tried to address that with the last sentence.

User Tag List