Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock advice for the uninitiated.

Glock advice for the uninitiated.

So I want to get into a G19 to use as a red dot gun and just generally play around with. I'm thinking about buying an aftermarket frame and building the gun off of that. My one hesitation regarding that is holster compatibility. I also would rather have a direct milled slide as apposed to an MOS. I have very little experience with glocks outside my friends glocks that I've used. My whole shooting life has been da/sa CZs, berettas ect other than a p10c I used for a while. I want to keep the guns internal components OEM although I wont turn my nose up to a nice trigger.

Questions:
    1. Are aftermarket frames worth it? (I want to retain compatibility with aftermarket parts)
    2. What's is the consensus on the unity ATOM? Better or cheaper options?
    3. If I went the more cost effective route and went MOS, are the aftermarket plates like the forward controls design offerings solving the long term durability issues with the MOS system?
    What do I need to know?

Thank you.

Site Supporter
    There are consensus answers re all of your questions that are easily searchable on the forum. You doing the work will get you to think about other issues that may be unique to you and your intended use(s).

Did you do any searching at all?

Executive Summary-start with what GJM says and go from there.

P-f is not the only source I am using. It's a source I trust so it's nice to compare information found elsewhere and compare it to what is available here. I'm asking a pistol question on pistol forum.

Regarding Post-1, here are some costs to ponder:

1. GSSF 2-year membership is $60, which will then result in a GSSF (Glock Sport Shooting Foundation) discount certificate. See:
    http://gssfonline.com/pdf/forms/Join_renew.pdf

2. The discounted price for a G19Gen4/5 MOS is ~$490.
    http://www.gssfonline.com/GSSF_Pisto...nformation.pdf

If you go with a regular G19 Gen3,4, or 5, the discounted price will be ~$425.

3. CH Precision Weapons mounting plates are ~$55-$65, which I've heard is a good brand to consider:
    http://www.chpws.com/product/trijico...sed-april-2020

A Glock MOS gun will come with its own mounting plates which may already work for your purposes, negating a "need" for an aftermarket plate brand.

Perhaps the OP or someone else can compare the costs involved in going the Polymer 80-build route, along with reliability issues, if any, might exist when building one's own with the various non-Glock-brand slides on the market.

4. red dot sight and, perhaps, taller sights will be user preference with a variety of prices.

5. CH Precision can also mill a supplied slide and sight if you don't want to go the "MOS" model of Glock for ~$125.
    http://www.chpws.com/product/pistol-...ight-slide-cut

I haven't gone with a red dot pistol sight (yet), but would consider the Glock MOS route probably because I'm unsure if I'd want to try and then stay with a red dot on a handgun at this time.
    Last edited by L-2; 04-26-2020 at 06:52 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    So I want to get into a G19 to use as a red dot gun and just generally play around with. I'm thinking about buying an aftermarket frame and building the gun off of that. My one hesitation regarding that is holster compatibility. I also would rather have a direct milled slide as apposed to an MOS. I have very little experience with glocks outside my friends glocks that I've used. My whole shooting life has been da/sa CZs, berettas ect other than a p10c I used for a while. I want to keep the guns internal components OEM although I wont turn my nose up to a nice trigger.

Questions:
    1. Are aftermarket frames worth it? (I want to retain compatibility with aftermarket parts)
    2. What's is the consensus on the unity ATOM? Better or cheaper options?
    3. If I went the more cost effective route and went MOS, are the aftermarket plates like the forward controls design offerings solving the long term durability issues with the MOS system?
    What do I need to know?

Thank you.
    I think if you want to try a red dot, you should just have a TDA gun you are familiar with milled for one. You are introducing too many variables at once.

Glock’s are great guns but they have their own idiosyncrasies Which need to be mastered to shoot them well.

On top of that, there is a definite learning curve to running a red dot on a pistol, especially if you are already an experienced pistol shooter with iron sites.

Retraining and experienced iron sight pistol shooter is more work than training a new shooter to run a red dot on a pistol .

If you do go with the Glock, the answer is if you want it to work but a factory Glock and keep it as stock as possible. Especially with the current GEN 5 guns. Buy a Gen5 17, 19,34, 45 with the latest breach face cut and don’t look back.

The so-called durability issues of the MOS system are largely improper mounting issues. The new plates on the market like the forward controls and CHWS are real improvements and worth the money. There are also government agencies putting out requirements for optics to mount directly to the MOS cut without adapter plates. They are only in the prototype stage but when the largest LE agency in North America wants to potentially buy 50,000 of something vendors listen.

The MOS system works but the details of how you mount the optic are critical. Proper screws, proper thread lock and compound and especially proper torque values for the particular optic and mounting system. Too tight the screws will break. Too loose and the optic will come loose, lose zero and eventually fly off the gun. Anyone who tells you that you don’t need a torque driver and two “Ugg’s-Buggas” is tight is good enough is full of s**t

The ATOM, ATOM 2 and Agency optics system are all good, likely better than MOS but they are proprietary and pricey.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    P-f is not the only source I am using. It's a source I trust so it's nice to compare information found elsewhere and compare it to what is available here. I'm asking a pistol question on pistol forum.
    Yes but we have a search function on the forum and many of the questions you are asking have already been asked and answered by others many times, in fact there is a whole red dot pistol section with threads that have been made “stickies” for reference. This helps avoid turning pistol forum into the groundhog day forum.

If you read them you will find out that in some cases the answer to your questions is that you are asking the wrong questions. I would pay particular attention to posts from GJM, Nikdrak and AsianJedi.

As I mentioned in my earlier reply I think you are trying to introduce too many variables.

Transition from other platforms to Glocks and transition from iron sights to red dots are each their own rabbit holes.

Trying to go down both rabbit holes at once is likely to end in frustration.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-26-2020 at 07:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    I would absolutely go with Gen5 17/19/45 MOS, a C&H plate and a Type 2 RMR or V2 Holosun to get into the red dot world.

This thread covered some of the same ground recently.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....glock-research

Personally, I wouldn't jump into the deep end with a customized Glock or a direct mill until I knew Glock was for me. Glock MOS is a great entry point into RDS guns, and the FCD/CHPWS plates go a long way towards narrowing the gap with direct milled slides. Plus you didn't mention what optic you plan to go with, and a MOS gun keeps your options open until you determine your optics preference.

I'd just go with a GEN5 MOS to start. I'm very pleased with my G45 MOS.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yes but we have a search function on the forum and many of the questions you are asking have already been asked and answered by others many times, in fact there is a whole red dot pistol section with threads that have been made “stickies” for reference. This helps avoid turning pistol forum into the groundhog day forum.

If you read them you will find out that in some cases the answer to your questions is that you are asking the wrong questions. I would pay particular attention to posts from GJM, Nikdrak and AsianJedi.

As I mentioned in my earlier reply I think you are trying to introduce too many variables.

Transition from other platforms to Glocks and transition from iron sights to red dots are each their own rabbit holes.

Trying to go down both rabbit holes at once is likely to end in frustration.
    First off I think you are correct, I think I posted when the confetti bomb of glock shit/ aftermarket glock shit hit me and I was trying to make sense of it all. I'm making use of those resources and it's helpful.
    As far as concerns about transitioning platforms goes, this does not concern me. I'm an avid shooter/ competitor/ general gun enthusiast, and typically an avid "dry fire-er". I'm excited about becoming proficient in the platform.

Site Supporter
    A CZ that is red dot ready might be a more logical choice than adopting a new platform and experimenting with a completely new sighting system and method at the same time.

Such as this one:a CZ-P07 in the for sale forum.

User Tag List