Thread: Load for 147 gr coated bullet using N330

Load for 147 gr coated bullet using N330

I'm looking for load data for a 147gr coated bullet using Vihtavuori N330 powder. Thanks.

VV's load tables have a 147-grain Rainier round nose (so that would be copper plated, as opposed to coated) for N330 listed:

3.5-3.8 grains, 1.142" COAL, 893-942fps is the listed velocity from a 4" test barrel.

They also have a 147-grain X-Treme Bullets RN Heavy Plate in N330 load listed:

3.6-4.4 grains, 1.157" COAL, 860-1010fps from 4" test barrel.

___

Alas, nothing listed for coated bullets - I think @Clusterfrack does coated bullets - I can't remember if he is using N320 or N330 though.

Load for 147 gr coated bullet using N330

@RevolverRob: I use N320, but have been burning through 4# jugs like it’s Coors. I’m almost down to my Titegroup backup stock.

Anyway:
    3.3gr of N320 under 147gr coated should make minor PF with no problem. I clocked 920fps from a G34 with that load.

I have no idea about N330, sorry.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

147gr coated SNS Flat Point 1.13 OAL with Titegroup was 3.2. Unfortunately, I haven't tried any other powder.

Thank you for helping!

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @RevolverRob: I use N320, but have been burning through 4# jugs like it’s Coors. I’m almost down to my Titegroup backup stock.

Anyway:
    3.3gr of N320 under 147gr coated should make minor PF with no problem. I clocked 920fps from a G34 with that load.

What length are you running?

N330 is just marginally hotter than N320 according to VV’s data tables. Since I could not find any N320 in stock (someone must have bought it all...(insert icy glare here), I went with N330, but I’m only loading .38spl and .45 auto right now.

Anyways if folks didn’t know VV has an App for your mobile device that is free and has load data, powder data, and allows you to record your own loads in a diary. I’ve been using it since I started reloading...3 weeks ago. It’s obviously not as comprehensive as a proper loading manual, but it’s quite useful overall.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    What length are you running?

N330 is just marginally hotter than N320 according to VV’s data tables. Since I could not find any N320 in stock (someone must have bought it all...(insert icy glare here), I went with N330, but I’m only loading .38spl and .45 auto right now.
    Looks like N330 is comparable to Power Pistol in burn rate, so you should be able to load .38 and .45 with it. I found the VV link for N330, and they list 9mm as well but for minor power loads (125gr 1080fps), N320 or Titegroup is better.

My COL depends on bullet shape, and whether I'm loading for Glocks or CZs. My round nose COLs are:
    Glock: 1.125 - 1.150"
    CZ: 1.110 - 1.115"
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I was going to note and forgot. This is why I'm probably going back to the 147gr FP from SNS. I can load it to 1.13 for about everything, including my one CZ which has a really short leade.

Looks like N330 is comparable to Power Pistol in burn rate, so you should be able to load .38 and .45 with it. I found the VV link for N330, and they list 9mm as well but for minor power loads (125gr 1080fps), N320 or Titegroup is better.

My COL depends on bullet shape, and whether I'm loading for Glocks or CZs. My round nose COLs are:
    Glock: 1.125 - 1.150"
    CZ: 1.110 - 1.115"

Anyway:

I've had good luck with that same load of 3.3 grains N320 with 147 Bayou coated bullets. Near the same velocity quoted. I found a couple of N330 loads on Brian Enos forum, the posters said they were using 3.5 to 3.8 grains N330. I haven't tried either load myself. I've shot 5.0 N330 with 115 grain jacketed, worked good.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

User Tag List