Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm LEO street results

9mm LEO street results

My former agency recently dropped the 40 for the 9. We went to the 40 decades ago because the 9 didn't do it's job in a couple of OIC's. We experienced one shot stops in 6 subsequent shootings but our new Sheriff is from another county and they use the 9. Don't know their stats and we have few shootings. My question is, how are the new 9mm rounds doing for us on the street?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    My former agency recently dropped the 40 for the 9. We went to the 40 decades ago because the 9 didn't do it's job in a couple of OIC's. We experienced one shot stops in 6 subsequent shootings but our new Sheriff is from another county and they use the 9. Don't know their stats and we have few shootings. My question is, how are the new 9mm rounds doing for us on the street?
    “9mm” Doesn’t really mean anything. What specific duty load is your agency using?

Modern bonded duty ammunition or the functional equivalent like Winchester ranger, federal HST, Speer gold dot etc. all perform well.

Or knowledge of terminal ballistics as a science and bullet technology have both advanced significantly in the past couple decades.

Site Supporter
    Can someone provide Gumby a link to Doc's research?

Back then we used Remington 115g jhp. Then, went to the federal hst 180g jhp. Now, it's the federal 147g jhp hst non-+p.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Can someone provide Gumby a link to Doc's research?
    Recent OIC's? That would be great!

Site Supporter
    Recent OIC's? That would be great!
    The whole “morgue monster” school of terminal ballistics has been largely debunked.

Gel testing using the FBI’s ballistic testing protocols,, particularly the 4 layer denim tests, have proven accurate in predicting terminal ballistic performance in actual shootings. This has been true for correlational studies based on both LE and military shootings.

Basically looking for 12 to 18 inches of penetration, no more no less.

When looking at Doc GKR’s info vs other’s testing keep in mind Gel testing is easy to do wrong. There’s a lot of bad and in accurate gel testing floating around YouTube and the rest of the Internet.

I can tell you my agency has been using 124 grain plus P gold dot or 10 years in personally owned option of weapons alongside 40 and we have seen no performance issues in OIS.

Thank you, sir.
    No problem.

I'm just a legally armed civilian. Based on information gleaned from following the true experts on this forum over the last decade or so, I choose to carry the exact round you are going to be issued (Federal P9HST2). I could carry any load in any caliber and I pick this one with zero reservations. It is my understanding that this round is working well in real world LE use.

I can tell you my agency has been using 124 grain plus P gold dot or 10 years in personally owned option of weapons alongside 40 and we have seen no performance issues in OIS.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, just what I was looking for.

User Tag List