Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting failure of Sig P320 firing pin...

Interesting failure of Sig P320 firing pin...

I was dry firing earlier this week when the trigger on my primary training P320 stopped resetting. Upon disassembly, I found that the leg on the rear of the firing pin had sheared off. This particular gun has about 2,500 rounds through it and probably 5x that in dry fire. Sig will fix it for free, but they wanted me to send in the entire gun and couldn't say how long it would take to turn around given current conditions. Luckily I had a spare slide that I could pull a firing pin assembly from. Sig was happy to sell me another firing pin assembly so I could keep from sending the gun in, so I'll have a spare again soon enough.

I did some Googling and couldn't come up with anyone reporting a firing pin failure like this on the P320. Any of ya'll seeing this in classes, matches, or agencies?

Pic (broken unit on bottom, functioning unit on top):

Name:  20200422_141900.jpg
Views: 6611
Size:  37.2 KB

This is pretty much what I expect out of Sigs nowadays. Told myself I wouldn't buy any more after my 365 striker broke. Are you going to stick with the platform?

MIM is just as good as tool steel, at least that's what we've been told. Of course, when the MIM is made by the lowest priced OCONUS supplier, things get a little more questionable...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    MIM is just as good as tool steel, at least that's what we've been told. Of course, when the MIM is made by the lowest priced OCONUS supplier, things get a little more questionable...
    Sig Sauer as a Co., been in decline since 2004-Present.....Inconsistent, non-existent QC Exeter, as well as OCONUS (Eastern India) 320 series is an embarrassment. FP, ejectors, extractor issues. Been a Sig Armorer since 1995, noticed quality was on decline since mid 2000's, went to 320 Armorer's school and after attending, gave the whole platform up. dainty & fragile platform, several parts "broke' in LEO Armorer's class simply assembling/disassembling during class/cleaning.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    There you go.

MIM is used extensively in a number of industries for all kinds of critical parts. But it has to be done carefully and with good quality control.

Anyone can end up with a duff part out of thousands made. Unfortunately Sig has had a number of these sorts of problems and so it contributes to an unflattering narrative about their offerings.

As to the OP, no...I haven't seen that specific failure in class or on the range yet.
    3/15/2016

I have never seen this happen on a P320. I did see a report of a P365 doing this.

Not just Sig . Stuff happens . The whole tip broke off the firing pin on my G17 Gen 4 at just over 8K rounds . No dry firing .

What's the price of a 320 striker? $15 - $18 seems common from poking around online. Seems like it would be worth buying 1 to toss in the range bag.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There are some pretty significant other differences between those slides. Are people who have retained more info about the tangled threads of P320 revision history than I have confident that the slides will interchange safely without some of the parts in the frame needing to be changed as well?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I've not seen this. I'll keep an eye on mine. I do plenty of dry fire as well.

User Tag List