Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: .300 AAC Blackout - 'Enabling' Thread (Mags, ammo, optics, barrels, etc.)

For those still looking for 110gr TTSX in stock...

Selway Armory has Black Hills for $40.99 - 17 boxes left (I've bought from them in the past without issue)

Trigger Depot has Barnes for $34.99 - 42 boxes left (Never purchased from them)

Quote Originally Posted by Not HighSpeed View Post
    Anyone finding any of the 7.5-9" completed uppers anywhere? BCM, Aero, PSA, brownells are all out. Go figure I get an itch for 300blk (no thanks to you fine enabling folks), and I can't find an upper to complete it lol.
    If you like keymod

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-mk2-...-a8-handguard/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    For those still looking for 110gr TTSX in stock...
    Found some for $.34/round!

Well, sort of. Ordered a case (20x10) from a well-known supplier. A few days later, a big box arrived on the front porch. Scratched my head, opened the box, and there were four boxes inside. Math not being my strong suit, three times I multiplied 20x10x4. Got 800 every time. E-mailed receipt and enclosed invoice were both for one case. Checked credit card on-line; one case cost charged. This was on a Friday. Sent supplier an email explaining.

No response by noon on Monday, so called Customer Service. Told nice lady I was undercharged, and explained. She said something like "You . . . you . . . you ordered one, and got four? And you're calling to tell us?" Uh, yes. "Did you want to return the other three?" Well, no, I'd rather keep them, but figure I ought to pay you. "That's . . . that's . . . that's so nice of you. So nice. Can I offer you $20/case discount, and not charge you state tax?" Uh, sure. That'd be great.

A win-win!

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Found some for $.34/round!

Well, sort of. Ordered a case (20x10) from a well-known supplier. A few days later, a big box arrived on the front porch. Scratched my head, opened the box, and there were four boxes inside. Math not being my strong suit, three times I multiplied 20x10x4. Got 800 every time. E-mailed receipt and enclosed invoice were both for one case. Checked credit card on-line; one case cost charged. This was on a Friday. Sent supplier an email explaining.

No response by noon on Monday, so called Customer Service. Told nice lady I was undercharged, and explained. She said something like "You . . . you . . . you ordered one, and got four? And you're calling to tell us?" Uh, yes. "Did you want to return the other three?" Well, no, I'd rather keep them, but figure I ought to pay you. "That's . . . that's . . . that's so nice of you. So nice. Can I offer you $20/case discount, and not charge you state tax?" Uh, sure. That'd be great.

A win-win!
    LUCKY.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    With regards to the AAC MPW rifle, a week or two ago I PM'd an ex-AAC employee on another firearms forum asking for the history of the rifles and why they were discontinued. I got that response today and it sounds like a couple MPW fans here might be interested. Here it is, with names redacted:
    So...Freedom Group sucks?

A fantastic look inside the lunacy of Freedom Group...let's kill AAC MPW, because we don't want to put a premium product out that competes with our shitty ones.

Fast forward to 2020...

DPMS is gone
    Bushmaster is gone
    Remington no longer makes AR15s and is likely going to file for bankruptcy again any day now...

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    You know, it's just a number I've seen on the interwebs. So, I fired off an email to Barnes with the follow questions regarding the 110-grain Tac-TX in .308" diameter:

1) What is the velocity performance envelope for the Tac-TX in this diameter?

2) Is the lower number (minimum) enough to induce full or partial expansion?

3) Is the lower number (minimum) enough to provide substantial penetration? (I.e., greater than 12” in ordnance gelatin).

I'll report back what they tell me.
    Received a detailed response from Barnes this afternoon:

The minimum IMPACT velocity required for reliable expansion and penetration on these 30 caliber bullets is as follows-
    For the-

#30321 110 gr TAC-TX (with the large black colored tip designed for the 300 Blackout) needs 1350 fps.
    #30320 120 gr TAC-TX (with the large black colored tip designed for the 300 Blackout) needs 1350 fps.

#30358 110 gr TAC-TX (with blue tip designed for 308 Win velocities and higher) needs 2000 fps.
    #30362 110 gr TTSX (with blue tip designed for 308 Win velocities and higher) needs 2000 fps.
    FYI- #30358 and #30362 are the same bullet just put into a different box.

#30336 110 gr TAC-X need a minimum of 1900 fps.
    #30341 110 gr TSX need a minimum of 1900 fps.
    FYI #30336 and #30341 are the bullet just put into a different box.

#30364 130 gr TTSX needs a minimum of 1800 fps.
    And some additional information was also provided:

If using in a 300 Blackout I HIGHLY recommend the 110 gr TAC-TX black tipped bullet SKU #30321 as well as the 120 gr TAC-TX #30320. They are designed for the 300 Blackout and to expand at those velocities (down to 1350 fps).

The 110 gr TTSX or 110 gr TAC-TX with the blue polymer tip #30358 and #30362 are designed for 308 Win or 30-06 COAL’s and velocities . It requires 2000 fps to reliably expand (small expansion). More full expansion it needs 2200 fps or more. In a 300 Blackout from a tree stand you may get some expansion with the blue tipped TTSX but the hydrostatic shock/wound cavity will be much smaller than the 110 gr (black tip) for the 300 Blackout.

So for a 300 Blackout you definitely want the TAC-TX with the large black colored polymer tip in 110 gr #30321 or the 120 gr #30320. Due to the high weight retention and penetration depth I recommend usually the 110 gr over the 120 gr for a higher velocity and a slightly better wound cavity for most game and situations.

If for a 308 Win or 30-06 type cartridge then you would be better off using the blue tipped TTSX/TAC-TX.

Same with the 130 gr TTSX. It is designed for a 308 Win or faster velocities. It needs a minimum IMPACT velocity of 1800 fps for reliable expansion.
    Finally:

At the minimum velocity of 1350 fps on the blackout 110 gr bullet it will still have large expansion.
    Directly from a Barnes Ballistic Lab Technician (I've withheld his name because this a public forum).

Translation -> Barnes Black Tip Tac-TX is the shit - reliable expansion down to an impact velocity of 1350fps -> 110 is slightly better than 120, but 120 will do the job. Buy whichever one you can find.

Site Supporter
    I'm just old-fashioned I guess, but I like the GI 20-rd aluminum mags. Mine all even have the original metal followers still. Am I going to run into any feeding problems with these and 300 BLK? From supersonic to subs, interested in the whole range.

I'll buy BLK-specific polymer mags if I need to, I just don't want to if I don't have to.

Some of the Barnes Tac-TX stuff landed at midwayusa.com, both 110 and 120.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    I'm just old-fashioned I guess, but I like the GI 20-rd aluminum mags. Mine all even have the original metal followers still. Am I going to run into any feeding problems with these and 300 BLK? From supersonic to subs, interested in the whole range.

I'll buy BLK-specific polymer mags if I need to, I just don't want to if I don't have to.
    For supers the OALs and bullet shapes are generally close enough to 5.56 shapes you shouldn't have an issue.

For subs you may need a .300BLK-specific magazine. You'll have to try it and see. With poly mags, it's the front rib that contacts the bullet. With a 20-round metal GI you may not need the extra clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by masternave View Post
    Some of the Barnes Tac-TX stuff landed at midwayusa.com, both 110 and 120.
    Thanks , been trying to get some of the 110, got some of the 120. I probably should have gotten more though.

Jason

User Tag List