Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: .300 AAC Blackout - 'Enabling' Thread (Mags, ammo, optics, barrels, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

Thoughts?
    Do it. Buy two.

Signed,

Junior VP of Enabling.

No time to waste
    Attached Images Attached Images  

All gone . . .

Ask me how I know.

(Ordered one case successfully. Went back 30 minutes later to get a second. None.)

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    All gone . . .

Ask me how I know.

(Ordered one case successfully. Went back 30 minutes later to get a second. None.)
    There were only 9 when I placed my order. I almost went for two...probably should have...

But I figure I have some Barnes 110 bullets on hand - I can get close to the factory load, without wasting all my factory ammo for training/hunting purposes.

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition...AAC%2bBlackout

The 110 gmx is another option, I’ve never been that impressed in factory Barnes loaded ammo electing to utilize the black hills loaded version.

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    https://www.brownells.com/ammunition...AAC%2bBlackout

The 110 gmx is another option, I’ve never been that impressed in factory Barnes loaded ammo electing to utilize the black hills loaded version.
    How reliable is the expansion for the Hornady at lower velocities?

That's the thing about the Barnes - it has a lower threshold of 1300fps - And when shooting them out of a Rattler, most loads are in the 1800-2000fps at the muzzle.

The GMX shows Out of Stock at Brownells. I snagged 10 boxes back in April even before I had a gun to shoot it from.

Doc GKR recommends it, but not sure of what barrel length he tested or what the expansion threshold is.

I posted a thread in Ammunition looking for feedback on the Lehigh CCCu 115, but no responses.

The internets says 110 Barnes Tac TX is the answer, and apparently you can sell 70 plus cases in less than a day...

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    How reliable is the expansion for the Hornady at lower velocities?

That's the thing about the Barnes - it has a lower threshold of 1300fps - And when shooting them out of a Rattler, most loads are in the 1800-2000fps at the muzzle.
    Let's be real, most of us in this thread are talking PDW distances, I doubt we'd ever need a shot past 50 yards, stealing the ballistic data off Hornady's website and a starting velocity of 1800 fps, you're good to go.

Range Velocity Energy
    0 1800 791.0
    100 1578 608.0
    200 1382 466.0
    300 1219 363.0
    400 1098 294.0
    500 1013 251.0

Edit:

Reading a bit more it looks like they need 2000 fps to expand for the 150 gr. Not sure if there is data for the 110s, I'll keep looking!
    Last edited by Grey; 06-23-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Not to be a....well....an “appendage”, but let’s just step back here a bit huh? Using the data listed in the above post (which seems legit compared to my own data which shows 1300fps@ 350yds out of an 8” barrel) how are you going to articulate that 200yd+ defensive shot?

“Looking at him through my spotting scope on 10x, he appeared to be a threat.”

If we’re talking four legged critters, different story, although even at 200yds, I’d be inclined to give whatever creature it was a wide berth and continue on my way. Except coyotes. I’d still shoot them...
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Not to be a....well....an “appendage”, but let’s just step back here a bit huh? Using the data listed in the above post (which seems legit compared to my own data which shows 1300fps@ 350yds out of an 8” barrel) how are you going to articulate that 200yd+ defensive shot?

“Looking at him through my spotting scope on 10x, he appeared to be a threat.”

If we’re talking four legged critters, different story, although even at 200yds, I’d be inclined to give whatever creature it was a wide berth and continue on my way. Except coyotes. I’d still shoot them...
    I'm not worried about the 200y threat.

I'm thinking about the 0-75y threat, but firing bullets out of a 5.5" Rattler. I want to make sure I can get my penetration and expansion, when I'm starting below the 2000fps threshold that a lot of rifle bullets need to meet in order to properly expand.

The Barnes can be launched at as low as 1300fps from the muzzle and still expand and penetrate, which means when it comes out of a Rattler at ~1900'ish it will be fine for pretty much any conceivable distance.

I don't know what the GMX needs velocity wise to properly expand and penetrate. I would guess it's in the same vein as the Barnes, given the similarity in construction and purpose.

150-grain GMX .308s won't get pushed fast enough from a Rattler to expand. You'll still get penetration, but you can have both, at least with the Barnes bullet. In fact, a lot of the .308" bullets are marginal in longer-barreled .300BO (i.e., 11"+ where you get maximum velocity) for initiating expansion. I'm seeing a lot of guys over on 300BLKTalk are running the 150-grain Gold Dot, they seem to think it will perform as well in .300BO as it does in .308. I actually doubt that very much, even if Speer is loading that as a factory .300BO round, they have it tailored for longer-barreled patrol-oriented guns, as opposed to shorter guns.

User Tag List