Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread: .300 AAC Blackout - 'Enabling' Thread (Mags, ammo, optics, barrels, etc.)

.300 AAC Blackout - 'Enabling' Thread (Mags, ammo, optics, barrels, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I run everything suppressed for the same reason. Reduced noise, reduced flash, and reduced concussion.
    That's what I do as well--except for 300 BLK. My 7.5" 300 pistol is a handy truck gun for when I'm in the boondocks shooting rifles long range. The short length is why I don't suppress it--or use a 5.56 SBR instead.

We've repeatedly had people roll up on us with uncertain intent. Most recently, a group started setting up to shoot towards our location and we drove out for a chat. Another time, I had to bail out of a tent with an AR in the middle of the night when some jackasses in a monster truck drove into my campsite.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-30-2021 at 02:19 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Mid South has Barnes 110 components:

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...ind=30321pk135
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

What optics are those of you running 8”-9” .300 uppers using? Anyone using a LPVO of any kind?

I have two .300 uppers for my MCX - a Rattler 5.5” that has a 1x RDS and a 9” on which I’m considering using a 1-4x.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    What optics are those of you running 8”-9” .300 uppers using? Anyone using a LPVO of any kind?

I have two .300 uppers for my MCX - a Rattler 5.5” that has a 1x RDS and a 9” on which I’m considering using a 1-4x.
    Romeo 4T and Juliet 3 on my 9" MCX. The BDC works really well at 100 and 200 yds with various weight ammo. I took my grandson to the range Friday for the first time and he was shooting 3" groups at 100 yds with subsonic and a can using the second dot below the center crosshairs. I consider that to be a 200 yd gun, tops, for me anyway, so the combo works very well. I don't know squat about LPVOs so I don't know what's available with BDCs but there's enough variability between trajectories of 110-200 grain ammo that I find the BDC to be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    Romeo 4T and Juliet 3 on my 9" MCX. The BDC works really well at 100 and 200 yds with various weight ammo. I took my grandson to the range Friday for the first time and he was shooting 3" groups at 100 yds with subsonic and a can using the second dot below the center crosshairs. I consider that to be a 200 yd gun, tops, for me anyway, so the combo works very well. I don't know squat about LPVOs so I don't know what's available with BDCs but there's enough variability between trajectories of 110-200 grain ammo that I find the BDC to be useful.
    Romeo4T is my preferred RDS these days, and it’s what the Rattler wears. I’m not sure if I’m sold on the magnifier concept, though - I’ve never tried living with one.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I’ve decided to try a budget LPVO on the 9” to gain some experience. SIG’s Tango-MSR 1-6x gets decent reviews and comes turnkey with a mount, plus has their lifetime warranty if I break it. I’ll reassess in a year.

@DMCutter - Which Juliet3 do you have- the full size or the Micro? I may try one with an existing Romeo4T on another upper to see what it does for me.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve decided to try a budget LPVO on the 9” to gain some experience. SIG’s Tango-MSR 1-6x gets decent reviews and comes turnkey with a mount, plus has their lifetime warranty if I break it. I’ll reassess in a year.

@DMCutter - Which Juliet3 do you have- the full size or the Micro? I may try one with an existing Romeo4T on another upper to see what it does for me.
    I have the full size on the MCX and micro on my 516 but I'm going to swap the micro for a full size Juliet 4 I have sitting around. I like the quick detach mounts on the full size and they flip without a button. The micro has a button and a significantly smaller eye box. I have another 516 upper coming sometime in the next 6 months from Optics Planet and haven't decided on an optic for that yet. Depending on how you like the Tango-MSR 1-6 I may give that a look.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    I have the full size on the MCX and micro on my 516 but I'm going to swap the micro for a full size Juliet 4 I have sitting around. I like the quick detach mounts on the full size and they flip without a button. The micro has a button and a significantly smaller eye box. I have another 516 upper coming sometime in the next 6 months from Optics Planet and haven't decided on an optic for that yet. Depending on how you like the Tango-MSR 1-6 I may give that a look.
    What do you like about the 516 vs the Mcx?

I wanted another 5.56 and was on the fence about another 516 or an MCX Virtus patrol and Optics Planet ran another sale on 516 uppers that tilted it in favor of the 516. I like the MCX a lot, it was a money decision since I have a legacy AR lower I can stick the new upper on. I may yet end up with an MCX in 5.56, too. Caliber conversion kits are so expensive I'd just buy a whole rifle vs a new upper for my 300 blackout MCX.

It started as a billet upper I won from another forum. I mean, I've got 3 or 4 other stripped uppers laying around...but, this one was unique. So...I tracked down the manufacturer, then ordered the matching lower, and SBRed it. Then, LaRue was having an MBT sale...

Then I found someone selling a used Troy PDW stock, in the wrong color so cheap...it went with the Troy handguard I had sitting in a box for another project that I disassembled when I realized it was a terrible idea...

Then one day I got an ad from PSA in my inbox with a cheap 8.5" 300blk barrel...

By that point...may as well dig out the old Aimpoint H-1 I had laying around, buy a front sight for the rear I had sitting in a box, etc etc etc. Not quite the "I found a firing pin, and then everything else showed up magically" but it wasn't too far from that either

Name:  IMG_1510-cropped.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  78.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1511-cropped.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  71.0 KB

It's great with supers and with subs and the can it's just giggle-inducing.

User Tag List