Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: .300 AAC Blackout - 'Enabling' Thread (Mags, ammo, optics, barrels, etc.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    It started as a billet upper I won from another forum. I mean, I've got 3 or 4 other stripped uppers laying around...but, this one was unique. So...I tracked down the manufacturer, then ordered the matching lower, and SBRed it. Then, LaRue was having an MBT sale...

Then I found someone selling a used Troy PDW stock, in the wrong color so cheap...it went with the Troy handguard I had sitting in a box for another project that I disassembled when I realized it was a terrible idea...

Then one day I got an ad from PSA in my inbox with a cheap 8.5" 300blk barrel...

By that point...may as well dig out the old Aimpoint H-1 I had laying around, buy a front sight for the rear I had sitting in a box, etc etc etc. Not quite the "I found a firing pin, and then everything else showed up magically" but it wasn't too far from that either

Attachment 91108

Attachment 91107

It's great with supers and with subs and the can it's just giggle-inducing.
    I may be familiar with a similar story….

If you don’t mind, please share details on the buffer tube length (looks short), buffer and spring weights.
    I’m working on a “dedicated” subsonic gun, but would like to know what combo you have that runs subs and supers well.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post

I may be familiar with a similar story….

If you don’t mind, please share details on the buffer tube length (looks short), buffer and spring weights.
    I’m working on a “dedicated” subsonic gun, but would like to know what combo you have that runs subs and supers well.
    Troy PDW stock

It looks like Troy has a bunch of similar ones as well; Midway lists the PDW stock as discontinued so I don't know if Troy is replacing it with their Tomahawk series of stocks, or what.

Site Supporter
    Troy PDW stock

It looks like Troy has a bunch of similar ones as well; Midway lists the PDW stock as discontinued so I don't know if Troy is replacing it with their Tomahawk series of stocks, or what.
    Thanks!
    Wow- I thought I’d seen PDW stocks that had the same appearance, but didn’t know that the Troy had a proprietary BCG/buffer.
    That would certainly help it be more compact, but doesn’t give me much data on what will work with subs and supers on my setup.
    But thanks for the education.

Thanks!
    Wow- I thought I’d seen PDW stocks that had the same appearance, but didn’t know that the Troy had a proprietary BCG/buffer.
    That would certainly help it be more compact, but doesn’t give me much data on what will work with subs and supers on my setup.
    RecoilWeb list of PDW stocks, it's a few years old. Nearly all of the shorter than stock ones, will use a special or proprietary buffer, bolt carrier, or both. In fact if a PDW stock comes out and says it uses factory AR buffers and springs...it's probably not a short stock..

Define "data on what will work with subs and supers" - the bolt carrier won't matter as much as your gas setup. If you've got enough gas to cycle the gun with subs, you'll be fine with supers. The Troy setup I have is light enough to function just fine with subs (with a can on, I honestly don't think I shot it without a can), and works fine with supers both with and without a can. It's been a while since I've taken it to the range with both subs and supers, but functioning wasn't an issue, and even with supers it didn't really punt the brass that far out. I have no concerns about supers outrunning anything or battering anything on my rifle, and no concerns about short stroking with the factory loaded subs that I shoot (I don't reload 300; I've got enough problems just keeping up with 9mm and 45..)

Site Supporter
    RecoilWeb list of PDW stocks, it's a few years old. Nearly all of the shorter than stock ones, will use a special or proprietary buffer, bolt carrier, or both. In fact if a PDW stock comes out and says it uses factory AR buffers and springs...it's probably not a short stock..

Define "data on what will work with subs and supers" - the bolt carrier won't matter as much as your gas setup. If you've got enough gas to cycle the gun with subs, you'll be fine with supers. The Troy setup I have is light enough to function just fine with subs (with a can on, I honestly don't think I shot it without a can), and works fine with supers both with and without a can. It's been a while since I've taken it to the range with both subs and supers, but functioning wasn't an issue, and even with supers it didn't really punt the brass that far out. I have no concerns about supers outrunning anything or battering anything on my rifle, and no concerns about short stroking with the factory loaded subs that I shoot (I don't reload 300; I've got enough problems just keeping up with 9mm and 45..)
    I’m referring to the combination of reciprocating mass (BCG + buffer) and buffer spring strength that reliably functions with 200-ish grain subsonic rounds (suppressed, and ideally also unsuppressed), and is also functional with supersonic 110 gr Barnes TAC-TX without beating the gun up.

I’m not sure if such an animal exists, and I’m willing to bias the “dedicated” subsonic gun towards subsonic suppressed as required.

I’m referring to the combination of reciprocating mass (BCG + buffer) and buffer spring strength that reliably functions with 200-ish grain subsonic rounds (suppressed, and ideally also unsuppressed), and is also functional with supersonic 110 gr Barnes TAC-TX without beating the gun up.

I’m not sure if such an animal exists, and I’m willing to bias the “dedicated” subsonic gun towards subsonic suppressed as required.
    So I re-read the thread and came across your posts...it looks like you're trying to min-max your build, which frankly will never work. You need to pick a middle of the road, "probably will work with both" setup that will not be optimized for either supers or subs with or without a can.

That means recoil will be harsher with supers and a can. It means subs without a can will be at the ragged edge of function. In your case, it means you want subs without a can to function - that's fine, but it means things will be a bit overgassed when you run supers with a can on. There's no avoiding it. Not unless you put on an adjustable gas block and fiddle with it every time you swap ammo types.

Which is certainly doable; plenty of people already waste their time (IMO) doing so.

Basically - IMO you're worrying about things you don't need to. Just set up the rifle for the load/ammo you're going to shoot the most out of it and go from there. Make sure it functions with what you want, then maybe throw a few hundred rounds of worst case ammo through it; 110s with a can on. See what breaks, how it functions, maybe see if you do need to make an adjustment because of a parts breakage or something else. Odds are it'll be just fine, considering people are now running M855A1 through these things with little in the way of hardware changes. Unless your receivers are made out of papier-mâché or the receiver/buffer extension is made out of the finest of chinese tin foil, you won't have any problems. You're shooting something that's roughly/broadly equivalent to a 30-30...it's not a monster no matter how it's sliced.

Thanks!
    I think of it as a proprietary lower. I have the competition lower from Cross Machine Tool UHP15 that has a proprietary stock, buffer tube, spring, etc. that you would typically expect from a shortened stock system as well as ambi controls.

Name:  CMT UHP15 PDW #5.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  40.2 KB

I’ve been exceedingly pleased with this running a 9” 300blk upper - both subs and supers.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Not totally terrible pricing for factory ammo.

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition...37-230635.aspx
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Not totally terrible pricing for factory ammo.

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition...37-230635.aspx
    Cheaper at Sportsman’s!

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/204266

User Tag List