Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: .300 AAC Blackout - 'Enabling' Thread (Mags, ammo, optics, barrels, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    I've had an AAC 9" PDW complete upper for years. I know almost nothing about it, except it's brand new. I remember looking on GB several years back and they were going for stupid $$, like $1200 stupid. More recently I haven't seen one for sale at all. Is this something worth putting to use, or is there something about it that makes it collectible?
    When I bought mine in 2012/13, I remember the reviews being quite favorable. It had a reputation being able to reliably cycle all supers and subs, and at the time, I couldn't find another upper that came with such a good reputation.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dkv View Post
    When I bought mine in 2012/13, I remember the reviews being quite favorable. It had a reputation being able to reliably cycle all supers and subs, and at the time, I couldn't find another upper that came with such a good reputation.
    Yeah, further reading here and elsewhere kinda changed my mind. I'm keeping it. Seems like AAC had their game down when they built these.

Quote Originally Posted by dkv View Post
    That has been my experience, and it came with a KAC urx3.1

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    That has been my experience, and it came with a KAC urx3.1
    See, I don't know the different URX rails.

My 9" upper has a URX 3, P/N 30210. 8" long.

I have an early 16" upper with a URX 2, P/N 20549, and it's only 10.5" long. A full quad-rail that's kinda cool with the integrated front BUIS.

Then a late 16" MPW with a URX 3.1, P/N 30326, and it's 13.5" long.

See, I don't know the different URX rails.

My 9" upper has a URX 3, P/N 30210. 8" long.

I have an early 16" upper with a URX 2, P/N 20549, and it's only 10.5" long. A full quad-rail that's kinda cool with the integrated front BUIS.

Then a late 16" MPW with a URX 3.1, P/N 30326, and it's 13.5" long.
    3.1 only has Picatinny at the front and rear of the rail (on sides and bottom), which makes it close in diameter to some of the new skinny rails. It did lose the integrated front sight. It’s my favorite KAC rail, and one of the reasons I originally bought the AAC. Although, now it plays second fiddle to an SR30.

Site Supporter
    Yeah, I can see the difference between the 2 and the 3 / 3.1, but what's the diff between the 3 and the 3.1?

Site Supporter
    With regards to the AAC MPW rifle, a week or two ago I PM'd an ex-AAC employee on another firearms forum asking for the history of the rifles and why they were discontinued. I got that response today and it sounds like a couple MPW fans here might be interested. Here it is, with names redacted:

I was part of AAC from 1998 until early 2019. The MPW's were and are wonderful products. A lot of thought went into the whole system. The idea was to have a turn key 300 BLK AR (somewhat rare back when the MPW's were introduced). The idea was to combine Mil-Spec uppers and lowers with a nitrided 300 BLK barrel and tuned gas system with a host of the best commercial off the shelf AR parts. The bolt carrier was very special at the time. The nickel-boron finish was revolutionary for the time, as was the reduced diameter section to minimize drag in the receiver. The cam path on those bolts was special too. The cam path was curved to provide a smoother unlocking motion. The lowers were nothing special. Most of the parts were off the shelf Bushmaster or DPMS parts, with a nice Geissele two stage trigger.

If you have a chance to get a stripped MPW marked lower, make sure you can return it if the pins don't line up with the upper. There were some lowers that got made that have very tight fits with the pins.

This is going to sound odd, but the real reason the MPW's were dropped was jealousy and competition with DPMS and Bushmaster. The MPW's were hands down the nicest, and most advanced AR's ever made by any of the Freedom Group companies. This sparked immediate jealousy and outrage from DPMS and Bushmaster, who lobbied non-stop to have the MPW's dropped so that AAC could concentrate only on silencer development. By the time Remington Defense got in on the act and introduced their own AR line, you had four entities in the Remington/Freedom Group family all making AR's. Despite the fact the MPW was far and away the nicest, most content and feature-rich AR's being made by Remington/Freedom group, it became an easy choice at the top to axe them from production.

I bet they wish they had a warehouse full of MPW's right as Covid hit. They could have sold every one of them for full retail.

Let me know if you ever have any questions about anything AAC or silencer related.

Yeah, I can see the difference between the 2 and the 3 / 3.1, but what's the diff between the 3 and the 3.1?
    3 had the integrated front sight and 3.1 didn’t.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spelingmastir View Post
    3 had the integrated front sight and 3.1 didn’t.
    I saw that on another site too....but my 8" URX 3 doesn't have an integrated front sight.

ETA probably because lack of space for one. But that explains my confusion because otherwise I'm not seeing a lot of difference in the two versions.
    Last edited by Welder; 06-29-2020 at 09:50 PM.

Anyone finding any of the 7.5-9" completed uppers anywhere? BCM, Aero, PSA, brownells are all out. Go figure I get an itch for 300blk (no thanks to you fine enabling folks), and I can't find an upper to complete it lol.

User Tag List