Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Responders or Healthcare how do you feel about Special Deals/Treatment?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If there was a reason for you to grab and go, it is not unreasonable. If you are on your own time, then I think it is less in the "spirit" of the offer...but circumstances would dictate. 'Everybody matters or nobody matters', but when people are depending upon you, I think it is fair to get in and out quickly.
    I would say this ^^ can you articulate an actual reason to yourself why it would be reasonable ?

Some examples:

Many local hospitals employee cafeterias are closed so grab and go in surrounding restaurant is filling a real void.

I have a cousin who is a prison nurse, her husband is a CO. they have small kids and they are both working longer than normal hours on a mandatory basis but there is no break in parental duties. The time she saves in cutting the line at Costco or dedicated hours at the local market is what is letting her get mom duties done so she can keep showing up at work.

As for discounts, do you need them ? I normally give back things like food discounts as a tip. Back in the day first responders and military were not paid well. Now that may or may not be the case. I make decent money and my local city PD makes about the same. The local sheriff’s office base pay is about 2/3 of what we make but they usually make it up in OT. However some of the small departments in surrounding areas, school districts etc make a base salary about 1/3 of what we and the city PD make. On top of which many of those agencies don’t pay to put new officers through the academy.

For a young E-4 or E-5 in the military, or a young police officer at a small department who just paid to put himself through the academy BCM discount can be the difference between buying a quality AR or not. YMMV.

I never asked, but never turned one down. In some cultures saying no is incredibly insulting, and you're better off agreeing than arguing.

My wife is a nurse, and hasn't used her ID for anything. We thought about it for groceries, but whoever scheduled the health care worker hour has no idea how health care workers are scheduled.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    The way I was raised is to only accept a gift if you are able to provide something of equal value in return, but if a gift is given to you, then it is to be accepted with grace.

So for the laundry shop that offered to do free laundry service for healthcare workers, I have made up my mind to bring them my dry cleaning in the future when this is over.

For the restaurant that gave me a free meal because I am a nurse, I will take my family to eat there to bring them more business.

The coffee shop that gave me a free cup of joe, I'll come back later with my girlfriend and buy two.

But in some instances there are things I cannot pay back. The hospital set up a meal train for the COVID-19 units, and the community has been flooding us with excellent food from local restaurants. I cannot possibly repay all that, and so I try to accept it with grace and humility and the understanding that maybe we've found something to be thankful for in all this god awful shitty mess.

So I try to be generous in return. To donate money and time and resources to those who need.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I do not ask but if anything is received it gets a heartfelt thank you in return. If it is a tipping establishment, I try to make up the discount with the tip.

I don't consider myself a first responder or a frontline personnel.
    I never wear my ID outside of work.
    I do wear scrubs in public frequently but not these days, with germaphobia and anxiety.
    No perks deserved, needed or asked for. The intent of providing them is truly appreciated though.
    Last edited by YVK; 04-25-2020 at 06:20 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Now like the OP alluded to, if particular gun companies start offering deals all bets are off
    Ha, if that happens, then I'll be asking if health system IT staff are eligible, or if it's just limited to people who do actual patient care.

Special Deals/Treatment?

Site Supporter
    I kind of hate it.

Don't get me wrong, I truly appreciate the sentiment, and graciously accept when it's offered, but...

I'm paid, pretty darn well, by _you_. I feel bad taking discounts/freebies on top of that.

Like someone else upthread, I try to steer business to businesses that won't take my money.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

I hate restaurants give me half off and stuff like that. I always leave what I would have paid, with tip, as an extra tip. At Costco, I used to shop there 2-3 times per week, during the week when it was empty. Now, I buzz my way in once per week. I spend over $20k per year at Costco, many of the folks I see there now, I've never seen at Costco before. I don't feel guilty at getting a line break and I don't abuse it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Or if I want to go shopping at Costco today and there is a long line of social distancing folks I really wouldn't feel comfortable walking up to the entrance and showing an ID to vault the line.
    My wife (RN) and I are busting our asses at work, I am trying to finish up my semester of full time school, and we have two kids under 4 years old. As long as they keep letting me waltz into Costco with no more than 50 other shoppers and waltz right back out, I'm more than happy to smile and spend my money. We have enough shit going on to fight the normal idiotic crowds at grocery stores.

I don't go hunting for deals but if one is in front of you and useful, take it.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

User Tag List