Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Responders or Healthcare how do you feel about Special Deals/Treatment?

1st Responders or Healthcare how do you feel about Special Deals/Treatment?

Due to COVID-19 I am now carrying multiple documents (employer, Feds & States) designating me as "Critical Essential". I've been issued PPE and have protocols to take my shoes off before entering my home, spray them with alcohol, remove clothes, immediately wash clothes and shower. I have my usual array of hospital ID badges from the region. I'm doing my job as I've done for years but now there is a new element involved. I'm working crazy amounts of hours and of course concerned I might bring something home either internally or externally.

Yet if I grab food on the run I don't feel comfortable or entitled to show a hospital ID to see if I can get a deal. Or if I want to go shopping at Costco today and there is a long line of social distancing folks I really wouldn't feel comfortable walking up to the entrance and showing an ID to vault the line.

Am I being unreasonable?

Now if BCM had a deal I might not hesitate a even a second there.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Due to COVID-19 I am now carrying multiple documents (employer, Feds & States) designating me as "Critical Essential". I've been issued PPE and have protocols to take my shoes off before entering my home, spray them with alcohol, remove clothes, immediately wash clothes and shower. I have my usual array of hospital ID badges from the region. I'm doing my job as I've done for years but now there is a new element involved. I'm working crazy amounts of hours and of course concerned I might bring something home either internally or externally.

Yet if I grab food on the run I don't feel comfortable or entitled to show a hospital ID to see if I can get a deal. Or if I want to go shopping at Costco today and there is a long line of social distancing folks I really wouldn't feel comfortable walking up to the entrance and showing an ID to vault the line.

Am I being unreasonable?

Dude, accept the "perks" with the gratitude from the those of us that do not need to expose ourselves day in and out.

Soon enough our collective consciousness will forget the risk and sacrifice that all of our med and first responders go through daily.

Frankly if I was in line and a first responder or the elderly "cut" the line I wouldn't care and would encourage you to do so.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

If there was a reason for you to grab and go, it is not unreasonable. If you are on your own time, then I think it is less in the "spirit" of the offer...but circumstances would dictate. 'Everybody matters or nobody matters', but when people are depending upon you, I think it is fair to get in and out quickly.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Am I being unreasonable?

My mindset is different than most. I think you are being entirely reasonable, even in these times.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 04-25-2020 at 10:22 AM.

Site Supporter
    I don't jump lines either. I also pay what people charge me when I am in uniform, even if it is discounted or free. I do not ask for or expect the special treatment. There is local BBQ place that checks your ID when you pay with a debit card. The most accessable ID in my wallet is my commission card, so that more often than not gets my meal at half price, even off duty. On days that it does not discount my visit I happily pay full price, and I only stop in once or twice a month when hours and location are convienient to me. I also tip well everywhere. Search the Law Enforcment thread re: gratuities for hearty discussion containing a whole spectrum of opinions from some very experienced cops who have been dealing with this litterally for decades.

If you are comfortable, don't piss on a gesture of gratitude. If you are not comfortable then do not participate. Either way, don't be a dick, be gracious, and don't abuse the privelege.

I might jump lines if, like at my local hospital, the college has opened a dorm for the docs, nurses, etc who are working 16-18 hours a day, some with hour long + one way commutes. If I had a family at home, a long commute, and knew I was working doubles+ for the forseeable future I think I would genuinely appreciate the opportunity to get in and out quickly. And I would be humble and gracious and display genuine gratitude...

pat

No line jumping....and not asking for any discount or special treatment. We all put are pants on the same way. I don’t believe anyone of us are any different just because of a career choice.

Am I being unreasonable?
    It just means you're not a douchebag. While I never refuse if offered, I personally can't stand people who tin every cashier they meet. There's really only a few places where I'll actually ask.

Ditto.

And CAVA. CAVA is the one place I will actually ask for the discount, because they're just too expensive.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and have some mixed feelings about it for my own usage. As a healthcare worker I am extremely grateful for the love that the community and many companies are showing us, and I think it's absolutely fine for a healthcare worker to take advantage of the opportunities. For me personally though, I'm not too big on using some of these offerings. Especially the Costco model. I couldn't bring myself to "badge" my way to the front of the line, I'm way too self conscious. Now some of our grocery stores have adopted earlier "pre-opening" hours for HC workers. I would maybe avail myself of that should the need arise. I think it helps cut down on potential exposure to the public from HC workers. So far we've managed to get just about everything delivered or curbside pickup, so I haven't used it.

We recently ordered delivery from one of our favorite local Mediterranean food places. They had sent an email saying they were offering a discount to healthcare workers. That actually prompted us to order from them due to us (my gf and I) being grateful to them for doing so. I made no mention of being a healthcare worker and paid full price for the delicious meal. Especially being a mom and pop restaurant I really want to support these places as best I can. If we were to hit a McDonald's drive thru in the next week (not too likely as I'm not much of a fan), then MAYBE I would take them up on a free fish sandwich to go along with whatever my gf is ordering and paying regular price for. But I wouldn't go through it just for myself and get my entire meal free. I'm just not comfortable with people working for me without compensation. But again, I don't begrudge anyone that does take these companies up on these deals at all!

I don't know if any of that even makes sense. I think I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, because these things have never been options previously for the 15 years I've been a nurse so it's all new to me.

Now like the OP alluded to, if particular gun companies start offering deals all bets are off

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I take what's offered but don't ask for anything when in uniform. I use the absolute shit out of any posted veteran's discounts, though.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I never could get used to discounted meals when I was with the PD. I never go for any of the free meals for veterans thing either. Thats just me, not everyone has to have the same opinion. I guess part of it was when we were taught in the academy that it is unethical. I have always been a bit of a boy scout that way.

User Tag List